technicolor tg589vac owners thread

Soldato
Hi, recently received one of these for SSE FTTC but there seems to be very little information available for it. It didn't come with any instructions but have managed to adjust settings to fit in with rest of network but discovered a few quirks along the way. Just thought there are likely to be a few of us with these and could do with a thread to share useful info.

1. Changing the start of the DHCP pool only seems possible by changing the subnet mask.

2. Can't find a setting to add a guest WiFi but have found a product spec on a competitor site that says something about it having 4 virtual something SSID's.

3. Can't telnet into it but don't know if I should be able to or not, it just tells me it can't connect to port 23 each time I try.

Soldato
OP
These are the specs but would be good if anyone has a link to a manual...

Specs:

Hardware specifications

Interfaces WAN
•1 RJ-11 DSL line port
•1 Ethernet WAN 10/100/1000 Base-T port

Interfaces LAN
•4-port autosensing 10/100/1000 Base-T
•auto-MDI/MDI-X Ethernet LAN switch
•2 USB 2.0 master ports
•IEEE 802.11n 2.4 GHz on-board
•IEEE 802.11ac 5 GHz on-board

Interfaces other
•Power button
•ECO button
•WPS button
•Reset button

Dimensions
•221 x 171 x 39 mm (8.7 x 6.7 x 1.5 in.)

AC Voltage
•100 - 240 VAC (switched mode power supply)

Temperature
•0° - 40° C (32° - 104° F)

Humidity
•20% to 80%

DSL Modem Specifications
•Supports multi mode standards
•ADSL compliance
◦ANSI T1.413 Issue 2
◦ITU-T G.992.1 Annex A (G.dmt)
◦ITU-T G.992.2 Annex A (G.lite)
◦ITU-T G.994.1 (G.hs)
◦Maximum rate: 8 Mbps for downstream
◦and 1 Mbps for upstream
•ADSL2 compliance
◦ITU-T G.992.3 Annex A (G.dmt.bis)
◦ITU-T G.992.4 Annex A (G.lite.bis)
◦ITU-T G.998.4 (G.inp)
◦Maximum rate: 12 Mbps for downstream
◦and 1 Mbps for upstream
•ADSL2+ compliance
◦ITU-T G.992.5 Annex A
◦ITU-T G.998.4 (G.inp)
◦Maximum rate: 24 Mbps for downstream
◦and 1 Mbps for upstream
•VDSL2 compliance
◦ITU-T G.993.2
◦SOS
◦SRA
◦INM
◦Up to 17 MHz profiles (POTS)
◦ITU-T G.993.5 (G.vector)
◦ITU-T G.998.4 (G.inp)

Wireless Specifications
•Full dual band concurrent Wi-Fi access points, Wi-Fi certified®
•2.4 GHz (2x2) IEEE 802.11n AP
•5.0 GHz (3x3) IEEE 802.11ac AP
•with IEEE 802.11ac compliant transmit beamforming
•Wi-Fi Protected Setup (WPS)
•Wi-Fi security levels
◦WPA2-Personal / WPA-Personal
◦WEP
•Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM)
•Up to 4 BSSIDs (virtual AP) support per radio interface
•RX/TX switched diversity
•2x2 MIMO 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi
◦SGi
◦STBC
◦20/40 MHz coexistence
•3x3 MIMO 5 GHz Wi-Fi
◦SGi
◦STB
◦20/40/80 MHz mode
•Dynamic rate switching for optimal wireless performance
•Manual/auto radio channel selection

Management specifications
•Customisable user-friendly GUI via HTTP and HTTPS
•Web services API for remote access (portal, management, diagnostics, applications, ...)
•GUI-embedded Easy Setup wizard
•Technicolor Setup wizard
•On-demand remote GUI assistance (helpdesk)
•Web-browsing intercept (install/diagnostics/captive portal)
•AutoWAN sensing: automatic selection and configuration of WAN interfaces
•Unified management interface (MBus)
◦TR-069 CPE WAN Management Protocol
◦TR-098 Internet Gateway Device Management
◦TR-111 home network device management
◦TR-143 network throughput performance tests and statistical monitoring
◦TR-157a3 Life Cycle Management (LCM)
◦TR-181i2 Device:2 data model
◦TR-140 storage service provisioning
◦TR-064 LAN side configuration
•Zero-touch autoprovisioning

Services
•Support of Qeo communication framework and apps, including access to real timediagnostics
•Open architecture for 3rd party application and UI development
•3G/4G mobile fall-back WAN connection (through Mobile USB adapter)
•Parental Control URL- and (optional) content-based website filtering
•Time-based access control
•Printer sharing
•Content sharing Samba file server
•UPnP A/V media server and control point
•DLNA DMS
•Metadata support
•Remote HDD file access
•HDD file systems FAT32
•NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, HFS+ optional

Technical specifications

Security
•Stateful Packet Inspection Firewall (SPIF)
•Customisable firewall security levels
•Intrusion detection and prevention (DoS, SYN Flood, Ping of Death, Fraggle, LAND, Teardrop, etc.)
•DeMilitarized Zone (DMZ)
•Multilevel access policy
•Security and service segregation per SSID

Networking
•Symmetrical NAT with application helpers (ALGs)
•Game and application sharing NAT port maps
•DHCP conditional serving and relay, DNS server and relay
•IGMPv3 proxy (Fastleave)
•IGMP snooping (full routed)
•DHCP spoofing
•Flexiport (automatic selection of Ethernet port bridged IPTV)
•IEEE 802.1q VLAN bridging, multiple bridge instances
•Multicast to unicast translation on Wi-Fi interfaces

IPv6 Networking
•IPv4 / IPv6 dual IP stack
•Supported models: PPP(oE)(oA) – IPoE(oA)
•Transitioning:
◦6rd/6to4/6in4
◦DSLite
◦Stateful connection tracking / stateful inspection firewall
•DHCPv6:
◦Stateful/stateless DHCPv6 client
◦Stateless DHCPV6 server
◦Relay
◦Prefix Delegation
•DNS v4/v6 Proxy
•ULA
•ICMPv6
•IPv6 Quality of Service
•MLDv1/v2

Quality of Service
•ATM QoS UBR, VBR-nrt, VBR-rt, CBR shaping, queuing and scheduling
•CLP tagging
•IP QoS Flexible classification (ALG aided)
•IP rate limiting (two-rate remarking/dropping)
•DSCP (re) marking
•TCP ACK optimisation
•Dynamic link fragmentation
•Per service class connection/resource reservation
•Ethernet QoS Priority or C-VLAN/S-VLAN tagging
•Switch port queuing and scheduling
•Wireless QoS WMM (BE, BK, VI, VO access categories)queuing and scheduling

Environmental features
•ECO mode for more intelligent power saving
•Wi-Fi on/off button
•ECO LED and button

Content of the box
•Wireless .11ac Smart Ultra-Broadband Gateway
•DSL cable (RJ-11)
•Ethernet cable (RJ-45)
•Power supply unit
•Setup CD (optional)
•Quick Setup leaflet(s) (optional)
•Safety Instructions and Regulatory Information booklet (optional)
•Filter(s) or splitter(s) (optional)

Associate
There are about 3 different models of TG589vac one is 2.4ghz N600 (known as V2) another AC1300 (sometimes refered to as v3 but do not think that is technically its name) and there is a third which if i recall is something like an AC750 device.

NONE of them have good support or easy to find pdf manuals, the technicolor site is useless.

Did it not come with a setup/CD with the manual on it?

Soldato
OP
There are about 3 different models of TG589vac one is 2.4ghz N600 (known as V2) another AC1300 (sometimes refered to as v3 but do not think that is technically its name) and there is a third which if i recall is something like an AC750 device.

NONE of them have good support or easy to find pdf manuals, the technicolor site is useless.

Did it not come with a setup/CD with the manual on it?

Hi, thanks, it only states it as tg589vac but it does have the AC1300. We went live today after being without internet for 10 days and it turns out from speaking to SSE today that we were supplied with the wrong router since it also wasn't configured properly. Apparently this tg589vac doesn't have a guest Wi-Fi feature even though I've seen this model listed with it, so it's probably using a tailored firmware. Anyways, after a lot of confusion we are now being sent the router they thought we had been supplied with, so we should soon be receiving a Technicolor tg799 which also apparently has the guest Wi-Fi feature. The Technicolor website is a complete joke in terms of support, not even a user forum. No instructions were supplied with router, only a quick install guide which only related to cables being connected. It was meant to be pre configured so we should only have had to turn it on with the correct cable connections and it all should have worked. We have been able to set the service username and password etc service settings to get connected but the tg799 should suit the 80/20 fibre better according to SSE.

Associate
Anyone learnt anything more about the SSE 589VAC?
Since you say you were able to enter the username and password I take it that means this can be used with any FTTC provider rather than being locked for use with SSE?

Associate
Manual

Hi,
Did anyone manage to find a manual\user guide for the TG589vac?

In particular, I'm interested to know whether it can be put into a "modem-only" mode, whereby I can connect it to my preferred router (dd-wrt) which will be used for wifi\ethernet, dhcp etc to my endpoint devices.
Many thanks.

Associate
Manual

Hi,

In particular, I'm interested to know whether it can be put into a "modem-only" mode, whereby I can connect it to my preferred router (dd-wrt) which will deliver wifi\ethernet, dhcp etc to my endpoint devices.
Many thanks.

Associate
Technicolor TG589vac issues.

I have a TG589vac supplied by SSE

I have several problems with this router.

1/ It does not not appear to work with disk drives plugged into the USB ports. They are recognized but do not populate. The ports do not appear to work with NTFS despite the user guide saying to the contary. USB sticks formatted vfat work OK.

2/ The following message appears in the log every 2 minutes.
Failed to send DHCPV6 message to ff02::1:2 (Operation not permitted)

My ISP does not use DHCP V6 and it is switched off in the router setup.

3/ The wireless 2.4G seems to dropout every few minutes or so. I have temperarily got around this problem by using an old Netgear DGN2200 as an access point.

Before I tackle SSE for a replacement router I would be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing any of these issues. I have not been able to track down any firmware updates.

Last edited:
Associate
DNS address change

I have one of these routers from SSE. Looking into a way to change DNS to point to OpenDNS, but no luck so far.. Any advise ?
Cheers

Associate

1/ It does not not appear to work with disk drives plugged into the USB ports. They are recognized but do not populate. The ports do not appear to work with NTFS despite the user guide saying to the contary. USB sticks formatted vfat work OK.

3/ The wireless 2.4G seems to dropout every few minutes or so. I have temperarily got around this problem by using an old Netgear DGN2200 as an access point.

Before I tackle SSE for a replacement router I would be interested to know if anyone else is experiencing any of these issues. I have not been able to track down any firmware updates.
It does appear that NTFS formatted disk drives do not work contrary to the user manual claims. I reformatted one of mine as FAT32 (vfat) and it works fine that way.

Not having any problems at all with 2.4G wireless drop out. However, the signal is fairly weak considering I'm only 8 meters away in the next room. Trying to connect from the same place at 5G using a 802.11ac USB dongle on my laptop was a waste of time. Works great next to the box but might as well have used a cable. The dongle I have is probably not the best quality available....

I do have a copy of the user manual if needed:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nnr5ju2xl...9vac - Homeware R15.4 (en) [2690136].pdf?dl=0

Did anyone find out if there are any new firmware versions available and where to download them from? I have:

Software version: 15.2
Firmware version: 15.32.6210-1301005

Cheers, kwick1

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

In particular, I'm interested to know whether it can be put into a "modem-only" mode, whereby I can connect it to my preferred router (dd-wrt) which will deliver wifi\ethernet, dhcp etc to my endpoint devices.
Many thanks.
Hi, manual link added in previous comment.

Yes, you can enable/disable both the 2.4G and 5G wireless independently. Log into the unit and go to wireless settings. Described in manual on page 42.

cheers, kwick1

Soldato

The USB port probably does not provide enough power to fully power the drive if this the sole way you are powering it.

Associate
Wireless problem resolved by selecting a channel rather than leaving on auto.
Wireless performance isn't stellar but OK for my purposes.
You're right the wireless performance is not stellar. I put a TP-link RE355 WiFi extender in my house and am getting pretty much the full bandwidth available (76Mb down/20Mb up) over 802.11ac to a crappy usb dongle on my laptop from anywhere in the house. I'd read a lot of bad press about WiFi extenders (halving transfer rates etc) but I've seen none of this and I'm hugely impressed with this one. Typically receiving the 5G 802.11ac signal at -45dBm, 10-15m away in the next room whereas only -80dBm from the TG589vac itself which never maintained a stable connection. Now it's rock solid. OK maybe a better router would have been preferred but this way achieved max BW throughout the house plus could also connect my wired only TV to the extenders ethernet port and was about 1/3 the price of a new router.

May not work for everyone but I think if you're trying to use the TG589vac anywhere apart from the room it is located and you want to make full use of your internet bandwidth, you either need to extend and amplify the WiFi signal or use hard wiring/powerline adaptors.

Last edited:
Associate
Sorry to butt in on this thread but I too have this router forum SSE installed last week. I wasn't there when the engineer installed it and don't know how to log in to the router.
I've put the IP address in and it takes me to the routers details but don't know the login details.
I've tried what I thought it would be username - admin, password - access key, from the sticker underneath.
But it doesn't work.
If anybody can tell me the correct details that would be a real help

Back
Top Bottom