Teeth whitening - Recommended kits?

Consigliere
Warning...this thread is for people interested in or have already whitened their teeth. Metros only. :o

Buuuut as topic...last thing i heard a few years back was related to crest (?) strips.

Whats the latest nowadays?

Soldato
When I get my check up every three months I book a private hygienist after seeing my dentist and get a good cleaning, it's like getting pressure washed, my teeth are lovely and white now.

Consigliere
OP
When I get my check up every three months I book a private hygienist after seeing my dentist and get a good cleaning, it's like getting pressure washed, my teeth are lovely and white now.

May i ask the cost? Guessing high from Moses' post but...may be safer/better for your teeth.

Soldato
If you know anyone going to the US then the Crest strips are sold everywhere. I have used them before and noticed a good difference (I used to smoke years ago), although I didn't want to have super white fake looking teeth so I've only ever done one box. But agree, I wouldn't buy them online.

Soldato
May i ask the cost? Guessing high from Moses' post but...may be safer/better for your teeth.

My check up £35 NHS, hygienist deep cleaning private £65, you only need to deep clean the first time, then go standard which drops to £45, I drink tea, coffee red wine and my teeth are white as a fluffy cloud :)

Soldato
The dentists teeth whitening product is around £300-£400 and is the professional philips zoom system.

You go in for a consultation and to have the mould made. Then a few weeks later when it's arrived you go back in for the actually teeth whitening. They fill the mould with gel and stick it in your mouth, then put a huge LED light on it for 15mins. You have three lots of 15min sessions then take a kit home with you. You have to put it in when you go to bed and leave it in all night. Then do a few other bits for the next two weeks.

I never went through with it in the end as I was being shipped off to the middle east that month but will think about it next year.

oh yeah, and two weeks before you have to rub sensodyne tooth paste on your teeth before bed else the teeth whitening will cause major discomfort.

nintchdbpict000280299855.jpg

Soldato
I bought 44% carbimide peroxide with the cheap mouldable plastic trays for £5 from China via eBay. It does work well. The trays are not great but you can work away at them and get a pretty good seal.

Associate
Yikes J smoke. I am a dentist and I would not recommend putting an unknown material in your mouth, on teeth and gums. And that % near your teeth or gums carries a high risk. Who knows what the long-term consequences will be of your dental treatment. It causes dental nerve inflammation and it can cause gum damage if it is the genuine material. You cannot purchase the dentist only carbamide peroxide it is not available to the public.

Having your teeth professionally cleaned (scale and polish) helps remove the plaque and hard deposits (calculus) which do stain. Plus the dentist can make sure you have no cavities, all your teeth are sealed (including any root-filled teeth) and you have no active gum disease (periodontitis).

Forget in-office whitening with lasers, bright lights it is nonsense and a waste of money.

If your natural teeth, front teeth, have solid colours and are yellow/orange they will bleach well.

If your natural teeth have a lot of translucency you can't bleach glass! If you have naturally light tooth shades then you will get a subtle result.

Home whitening (£200 to £300)

The 10% home whitening technique is over 100 years old and it has good evidence for safety and effectiveness. The dentist makes impressions and fabricates thin latex gum shields. You apply the gel overnight or 2 hours a day. it takes 4 to 6 weeks. You can extend the treatment period. It is safe. Common complications are transient tooth sensitivity. The results are very good. You tend to reach a plateau where things don't whiten any further. The results are long-lasting. You don't need to repeat it for well over 10 years.
https://optident.co.uk/product/opalescence-pf-10-melon-40-x-1-2ml-syringes/

Maintenance
Professional cleaning is best. The tooth whitening toothpaste is very weak and will not whiten but may help maintain the result. I don't use them personally.

Crest strips

I am told they are very good and I have bought them for friends and gave them away. They liked them. There is a UK dental supplier to dentists. They are about £30 a box wholesale.

The best way is dentist supervised home whitening as outlined above.

And why I have your attention brush your teeth twice at night before bed with a fluoride toothpaste, and on one other occasion through the day. Use a medium head adult brush or an ETBrush. Spit out the toothpaste but don't rinse. Leave the fluoride on your teeth to remineralise them. And you techys should not eat loads of sweets and sugary drinks all day!

Soldato
^I've only used it a few times as I was sick and tired of drooling into a towel like a dog over a bone. But I could already see a difference after a few goed. I could tell it was strong stuff as my gums were inflamed the first couple of times. Sensitive teeth are not to much of a problem, the peroxide stings a small amount. As for long lasting effects, your the expert but my gut feeling is that it should be fine.

You ideally should get gum trays professionally made though as the mouldable trays do leak a bit leaving you drooling like crazy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom