1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

telescope me a car with high ride

Discussion in 'Motors' started by osc89er, 5 May 2006.

1. osc89er

Wise Guy

I'm looking for suggestions for a car for my aunt. The car will be used to transport my grandad who is getting old and can't be getting in and out of cars with seats that are set too low.

So the immediate thing that comes to mind is the 4x4 market. The primary requirements are the high seats and good reliability. Aesthetics, mileage, cost are secondary considerations. Suggestions would be appreciated.

2. burns

Mobster

I would have thought a 4x4 would be a bit to high really. My grandad got a Merc A-Class for this exact reason, easy to get in and out of as it's quite high. He now drives a Mazda 323 so that may be similar, but I'd be surprised.

3. Morba

Caporegime

how about an mpv?

4. Rikk

Wise Guy

Mercedes A class, I'm disabled myself and also drive my 90 year old nan around a lot and we both found it very good for getting in and out of. Nice hieght and big doors.

Give it a try.

5. matthew_o50

Mobster

I wouldn't recommend a 4x4 for an older person to get in and out of because they are quite high. An MPV or something smaller would be much better. Some that i've been in that are very easy to get in and out of are the Renault Scenic, Vauxhall Zafira, Citroen C3 and the Vauxhall Agila. I'm sure there are many others out there similar.

6. spaz

Wise Guy

My friend's parents had this problem and they bought a toyota corolla verso, big doors and easy to get in and out of.

7. Nazbit

Mobster

Id say a medium MPV rather than a 4x4.

Whats the budget?

A-Class, Scenic, C-max, Corolla Verso?

8. Mr_Sukebe

Man of Honour

The A class style of solution makes a lot of sense. My mother regularly carts around my great uncle in a Honda Jazz, which he finds very easy to deal with, despite walking like Douglas Bader.

9. weeble

Wise Guy

Subaru Forester - picked my gran up from hospital who'd broken her hip, and she slid in the seats easily with little discomfort.

Anything higher or lower would have been a challange.

10. excaliborg

Wise Guy

4x4 is a bad idea, trying to get my nan in our old mitsubushi L200 was a 2 man job! Had similar probs with the Isuzu trooper too. Not tried the Nissan Navara yet though :p

11. Sone

Sgarrista

i heard Citoren Picasso's are very good for getting in and out of, had a disabled relative who bought one (well the goverment did).

Otherwise 2 door superminis can be good as the doors open very wide (last generation polo's were apparently expetionally good)

12. Squark

Capodecina

My grandma drives a Honda Jazz, she had to get a higher seated car because she was having trouble

Worth a look I think that they're quite nice cars

13. Stellios

Capodecina

Id be tempted to say somethign like a Scenic or Picasso. My grandma has arthritus in her leg very badly but seems to be fine getting in and out of my uncles scenic.

14. weeble

Wise Guy

True, but Forester's aren't as high as 4x4's - more a raised estate. From personal experience, I wouldn't totally rule it out yet.

15. stoofer

Mobster

what about the 1007? do its ..umm... 'quirky' doors help in this case?

16. rG-tom

Sgarrista

mercedes a class. My mother hates getting into low cars and suffers with bad knees etc, and absolutely loves her aclass, and i do have to admit it's nice to get in and out of.

Tom.

17. osc89er

Wise Guy

Thanks for the suggestions guys. We're going to have a look at both 4x4s and the midi mpvs. My aunt favours the japanese marques over most of the european ones, and has no intention of going with any ford, vauxhall or volkswagen.

Specifically the honda fr-v and cr-v, toyota rav4 and corolla verso. I'm not sure if she would consider the a-class or not.

There are a couple of other things that weren't mentioned earlier. Decent sized rear seats, but without completely sacrificing boot space is important. 5 or 7 seats doesn't matter, as long as the middle row of seats is reasonably comfortable since she may be carrying 2 frail grandparents at a time.

Budget-wise, she could stretch to 15000 for a near-new car.

18. Mic

Mobster

That pug 1007 thing with the sliding doors?

*Already been suggested*

Last edited: 6 May 2006
  19. panthro

Capodecina

I saw a Chrylser Voyager the other day that could lower itself almost to the ground. It belonged to a couple and the woman was in a wheelchair, so the car went all the way down and a ramp came out, so she could just roll up into the back. It was properly pimped, blacked out windows and chrome all over it :D

20. gord

Capodecina

<andy style>

Monshter Trucksh, Monshter Trucksh!

</andy style>