Telewest: The only place to watch ALL Worldcup games in HD!

Associate
It was missing the end of 1 in 3 programs recorded but since they swapped my box, it has been about 1 in 15 programs which is much better, but still doesn't stop the wife complaining that she has missed the last 10 minutes of Strictly Come Dancing or some such <insert expletive here>.

The thing that annoys me is that there is a setting to allow it to record 10 minutes before and after a program on standard recordings but this doesn't appear to be working.
I think some of these issues stem from the TV Guide not being as accurate as it should be and some of the issues because it wasn't tested properly before release. You might not have any issues with it, but I would advise you to do the same as me for any 'important' programs and record them using another recorder.

Soldato
yeahhh I am seriously gutted tv drive wont work in london ( due to no cabling) and Sky being booked solid until well after the world cup ( and I couldnt afford the equipment costs anyway - rental costs would be fine though) and with lack of availability of sky hd boxes in the first place

Was really hoping to get on the BBC trial broadcast, being within easy transmission area of Crystal Palace, but my application has obviously been rejected - applied well over a month ago

looks like i will have a decent av system, a decent hdtv but nothing to actually recieve hdtv with grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Soldato
OP
Goatboy said:
Have read that they are charging extra for HD content not just PPV films but TV shows like Lost, what a cheek.

It's 99p per episode for Lost and Desp Housewifes, this is a C4 thing, they just use Telewest (and they do the net too)

Lost isnt in HD yet but it will be soon apparently, same price too.

btw: I've not had a single problem with my TVDrive, never any missed recordings or missing anything from the end, it's been installed since Mid March.

Soon as it's installed watch Super Vocano on Teleport Life, it really shows what HD is all about and shows why makeup artsists and actors etc should be worried about HD :) you can every spot and blemish :) and it's actually a pretty good film too!

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
MouseMat2004 said:
Lost isnt in HD yet but it will be soon apparently, same price too.

From what I read on avforums I was under the impression there were HD episodes on Teleport the first two are free then the rest you have to pay for. Shouldn't have to pay extra for content to be HD when you're already paying extra for the HD box.

Soon as it's installed watch Super Vocano on Teleport Life, it really shows what HD is all about

I will have a look, I've been watching HD shows and films for about a year now with varying levels of quality on them so it will be interesting to see how Telewest compares.

How long is the HDMI lead they provide with the box?

Also I assume I can have a scart lead outputting at the same time for watching regular channels?
I managed to break the 'PC in' input on my TV that links with the DVI port so I don't want to have to have the amp on all the time :mad:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Supplied HDMI cable is 2m. And no, you cant have the scart outputting at the same time, its one or the other, if you wanted to switch between them you'd have to keep changing the setting for which output you wanted.

Soldato
OP
Goatboy said:
From what I read on avforums I was under the impression there were HD episodes on Teleport the first two are free then the rest you have to pay for. Shouldn't have to pay extra for content to be HD when you're already paying extra for the HD box.

In a way the £10 could be seen as the rental of the box (bit like Sky+, although you still have to buy the box from those robbing barstools). We'll have to see what happens when TW get the Sky HD channels.

The Lost eps on Teleport TV are certainly SD atm and you do get the first 2 free, hopefully there will be some free HD ones too. Telewest are just used as the medium for C4, I doubt Telewest had much to say except a small cut :) Dont worry to much, the rest of Teleport TV and Teleport Replay is free (only with the premium pack I think) and it has LOADS of VOD content. Teleport Movies has a HUGE! collection, around 300 movies to choose from ranging from £1.50 to £3.50.

Goatboy said:
I will have a look, I've been watching HD shows and films for about a year now with varying levels of quality on them so it will be interesting to see how Telewest compares.

How long is the HDMI lead they provide with the box?

Also I assume I can have a scart lead outputting at the same time for watching regular channels?
I managed to break the 'PC in' input on my TV that links with the DVI port so I don't want to have to have the amp on all the time :mad:

I didnt get a HDMI lead :( but I didnt need one anyway, I think it's 1.5m?

All SD content is upscaled to HD res, theres no chopping and changing res's etc. It actually improves the quailty imo

It doesnt output to scart at the same time, you'd have to change it in the option menu but after you've tasted the crisp clear menu system you wouldnt want to go back to the fuzzy one. The only downside is that everything isnt stretched to widescreen like on scart, if the channel is broadcast in 4:3 you get 4:3, leaving black bars down each side, it doesnt bother me that much but just be warned.

Associate
Had no probs with my box..until HDMI output connection failed :(..Box was replaced promptly though.

I watch everything on HDMI as I would rather have a natural image in 4:3 rather than a stretched one if the channel isnt broadcasting widescreen. THe 5.1 on optical isnt working yet mind but it doeas output in stereo. also , there are audio outs if you want them. Now my red button is even working properly so Generally im quite pleased witht the thing. even series link has worked well so far....so far!

Soldato
Dont think the title is true anymore - well in a strict sense anyway

Just got confirmation from the HiDef freeview trial conglomerate ( BBC, ITV, Ch4 etc) that I am still included in the possible 450 households to get a free stb for the trial thats running between 9th June and end of december

So I have to fill in a online form once a month, have a telephone interview and collect the stb from an office 20 minutes from my house thats a small price to pay

crosses fingers I am in the 1st 450 people to reply

Soldato
Hi

got my tvdrive install today and all whent smoothly cant stop watching bbc hd channel its very good picture and sound have not tryed recording anything yet still watching bbc hd. :D

some quick pictures and not very good at that.

the box

the back of the box and my head in the way

the remote much better

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom