Tenant's rights? HELP!

Caporegime
vonhelmet said:
Bailiffs acting on behalf of London Energy once broke into mine to replace the meter on account of the previous tenants not paying the bills. There was a whole lot more to this story, but that was the really nasty bit.

crucial thing to remember is bailiffs have no power of entry

they have to the right to be in the property once you let them in (or they get the foot in the door)

but they have no right to force entry

so just dont answer the door :D

Associate
OP
Thanks for all your advice, am going down to see the letting agents in person tommorrow morning, thanks to my boss for being such an awesome and understanding guy and letting me come in later after sorting it out. My mum has the day off tomorrow and has volunteered to hold me back!

We're also planning to move anything of value to my parent's house tommorrow night before we go on holiday on saturday, just to be on the safe side.

Slightly re-assuring to know that "bailiffs" have no right of entry. I have no idea what stage the mortgage company is at, and whether the guy that called today was indeed a bailiff or what. As the legal owner of the property, how fast could the mortgage company get a court order/warrant/what-not to come in and take posession? Do they *have* to give us notice, or do all our base belong to them?

Back
Top Bottom