Terminator: Dark Fate

Soldato
Don't forget it is stated that the T-800 has been "reprogrammed".

The resistance may have enabled an option for the T-800 to learn but then decided against it so it carried out it's orders to protect John without any distractions.

Caporegime
OP
The learning cpu never really made sense, i think that "neural" was just a buzzword at the time they threw into the script. If this cpu indeed does learn from humans then why have that function turned off? (any before anyone says "but Carl turned good", that's after decades of exposure AFTER completing it's mission) The whole purpose of the skin covered Terminators is to be infiltration units, it's not like you can't tell that something is "off" about any of the terminators in the movies that would give them away. They look human but that's about it, everything else about them seems robotic. So makes little sense that they would be sent out in this mode with the usual telltale signs thats they're not what they appear to be.

Skynet is also meant to have prisoner camps, why not put a few terminators into these with the "switch" off to let them learn and become more human like before sending them to infiltrate human bases?

Last edited:
Soldato
So who exactly is Carl? cos as far as i recall the switched-to-learning T800 lowered himself into molten metal.
aside from that, you gotta wonder how fast that chip learns. All very well studying people and seeing how they act, but what about all the other programming to kill them? He was quite happily about to terminate those punks who hassled John before he was stopped so the underlying programming was still there.

V F

V F

Soldato
Nah, i'm serious. Need younger blood in the main roles so they can expand the story. Needs a good old rebooting.

If that ever happens:

coffin nail final the in

From 1991, I honestly think it's time it needs to move on. Terminator has been flopping for a long time now with everything else delivered in desperation. It needs to be let go. 4 films since and they haven't been great...

Associate
The learning cpu never really made sense, i think that "neural" was just a buzzword at the time they threw into the script. If this cpu indeed does learn from humans then why have that function turned off? (any before anyone says "but Carl turned good", that's after decades of exposure AFTER completing it's mission) The whole purpose of the skin covered Terminators is to be infiltration units, it's not like you can't tell that something is "off" about any of the terminators in the movies that would give them away. They look human but that's about it, everything else about them seems robotic. So makes little sense that they would be sent out in this mode with the usual telltale signs thats they're not what they appear to be.

Skynet is also meant to have prisoner camps, why not put a few terminators into these with the "switch" off to let them learn and become more human like before sending them to infiltrate human bases?

With regards to the Neural-Net processor and the Read-Only setting it's set to from the Factory that is established in the Directors Cut of T2, I don't think it's really that big a deal.

From Factory, you input anything you need to make it a killing machine for Skynet. There's no need to enable it to Read-Write and be able to adapt (and being able to circumvent any existing code/rules put into that chip) at that point. Especially if the "adapting" will allow the Terminator to rise up against yourself (if it sees you as the issue: Think Mass Effect 3 here, with Leviathan and the Starbrat). Therefore, Read-Only seems logical, despite the advantages to being a better killer over time, or to infiltrate better.

As to the human looking part, I think it's really just to give the Terminator a certain amount of "reaction" time more to get closer to a target before they start shooting at you and potentially ending your ability to do some damage. The humans shoot Robotic Skeleton Terminators on sight supposedly on the battlefield in the future, but seeing another "human" would probably give the Terminator enough time to take out the human who has spotted you and sporting hardware (Plasma Rifles) that could end you as the Humans try to confirm your identification. So it's more of a delaying tactic rather than true "Infiltration". Although I suppose we have also stories by Kyle about how some managed to properly infiltrate some camps too, so its good for proper infiltration too so long as the camp isn't aware of your model first.

Soldato
With regards to the Neural-Net processor and the Read-Only setting it's set to from the Factory that is established in the Directors Cut of T2, I don't think it's really that big a deal.

From Factory, you input anything you need to make it a killing machine for Skynet. There's no need to enable it to Read-Write and be able to adapt (and being able to circumvent any existing code/rules put into that chip) at that point. Especially if the "adapting" will allow the Terminator to rise up against yourself (if it sees you as the issue: Think Mass Effect 3 here, with Leviathan and the Starbrat). Therefore, Read-Only seems logical, despite the advantages to being a better killer over time, or to infiltrate better.

As to the human looking part, I think it's really just to give the Terminator a certain amount of "reaction" time more to get closer to a target before they start shooting at you and potentially ending your ability to do some damage. The humans shoot Robotic Skeleton Terminators on sight supposedly on the battlefield in the future, but seeing another "human" would probably give the Terminator enough time to take out the human who has spotted you and sporting hardware (Plasma Rifles) that could end you as the Humans try to confirm your identification. So it's more of a delaying tactic rather than true "Infiltration". Although I suppose we have also stories by Kyle about how some managed to properly infiltrate some camps too, so its good for proper infiltration too so long as the camp isn't aware of your model first.
Terminator 7, the t800 that turns on Skynet:D.

Soldato
So who exactly is Carl? cos as far as i recall the switched-to-learning T800 lowered himself into molten metal.

The answer is a very large and potentially film spoiling "SPOILER" so only open this if you want to ruin the film's surprises -

"Carl" is a a new terminator sent back to just after T2 times at the start of the new film and he does eventually Kill John Connor. Once his "mission" is over and JC is dead, he has no further commands to follow so he effectively "retires" and after a few decades to adjust, becomes "Carl", a lone backwoods man at peace with humans - Like I said, it's garbage!

Back
Top Bottom