Terminator franchise reboot

Soldato
Sadly it'll do really well due to the hype, regardless of how good, but more likely bad, it really is.

There is some hope. So far, Genisys is struggling at the box office. The worst opening of any Terminator film apparently. Yes, worse than T3 and Salvation. Possibly down to poor reviews, but then that didn't stop hordes of people going to see Pirates 5, which raked it in.

The mind boggles.

Soldato
The opening is about the same as T3 actually and doing good outside the US. As I already said, I liked it and would be interested to see where the story could go next.

I'm curious how my viewing would work on takings, I never paid for the individual showing as i'm on a Cineworld unlimited card, do takings account for all the people who have these kind of cards worldwide?

Coming in not far behind was "Terminator Genisys" which scored $28.7 million and has taken in $44.1 million over its first five days. The third place opener had an opening on par with "Terminator 3" twelve years ago, but it has fared better overseas where it has already racked up $85.5 million.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/37689/new-terminator-mike-open-behind-pixar

Soldato
Indeed cinema "season tickets" will be taken into account. The cinema will still count you as a viewer as you still purchase a ticket using your Unlimited card.
The numbers are only off when people book tickets with Unlimited (or similar) and then don't turn up. I've speculatively booked tickets before and then found we've got something on, so haven't actually gone to the viewing I booked.
Unless the count is done on tickets redeemed - but somehow doubt that.

Soldato
Watched this last night, really enjoyed it.

Loved the recreated scenes from the first film and the attention to detail therein.

I felt some of the casting was a wee bit iffy with Sarah's character, more so with Kyle's. Didn't feel they stood up to the original cast, but then this was probably down to the need to get recognised actors in, rather than being overly true to the stories original characters.

Really loved to see Arnie back, he did a good job despite being pretty old. Demonstrates just how amazing his overall body condition was back in the day.

Some of the time line stuff hurt my brain and some flaws appear, but best to just sit back and let the film play through. Oh and I have completely erased from memory 'Rise of the Machines' and view 'Salvation' as a completely separate film. Both enable me to enjoy all that is great about this and the original two films.

Soldato
Why is there so much hatred for T3?

IMO not a bad film at all. The crane chase is great.

Salvation I really didn't like. Felt more like a Pilot to the series than an actual film film.

Caporegime

There's been enough positive reviews here and in the "what film did you watch last night" thread for me to consider going to see it.

It seems to be dividing people down the middle.

edit: I'm a dumbass. T:G is not T3 :p

Last edited:
Soldato
to be honest, I never held out much hope for this one, but went to see it last night (unlimited card holder, but probably would have went to see it anyway!) and thoroughly enjoyed it. There is a couple of huge glaring holes in it which are not explained, but time travel hurts my head (see Douglas Adams on future tense).

It seems the reviews have torn it to pieces, but everyone I know who went to see it disagreed with the reviews! Perhaps the reviewers are the ones who actually saw T2 at the movies on release day . . . .

Soldato
The first 2 are amazing films, that are still highly enjoyable today after 50 odd views.

T3 and salvation are best forgotten.

Genisys isnt a bad film, could have been even classed as pretty good if it wasn't for Emilia Clarke and Jai Courtney.

Caporegime
Concise summation there :p

It is a poor plastic self-pastiche reboot of a once fantastic franchise, that feels like it does nothing but underline the post modernism ideology of the 'modern' blockbuster.

It has largely the same problem as the latest Jurassic World offering, it is so obsessed with reinvention, self-pastiche it forgets to do the basics. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel.

Caporegime
Completely agreed. When I saw that, I was like what's this... Ruined the scene for me quite a bit.

A lot of bad casting in the movie I felt.

The entire film was an absolutely awful experience.

Why can a filmmaker not give me (us) what I (we) want from a Terminator film? A film set in the future, with rebels fighting against the skeletal robots once last time.

Caporegime

IMO not a bad film at all. The crane chase is great.

Salvation I really didn't like. Felt more like a Pilot to the series than an actual film film.

T3 was crap. It was a soulless rehash of T2. Salvation was forgettable. Literally. I don't remember what happened in it.

T1, T2 and TSCC are good. The T2 pinball table is pretty good as well. I'd rather watch someone else play the pinball table for 2 hours than watch T3 again.

Soldato
The entire film was an absolutely awful experience.

Why can a filmmaker not give me (us) what I (we) want from a Terminator film? A film set in the future, with rebels fighting against the skeletal robots once last time.

That would be amazing, instead of focusing on John/Sarah/Kyle all the damned time lets get to the heart of it. Post nuke battles, the remaining military vs the skynet with the inevitable time travel twist so they don't "lose".

But of course, you'll have to throw John in at least.

I enjoyed genysis, I seriously didn't expect anything and I came out with some cool fights and that was it, I would like more though. I think Salvation is the only one that came close to terrifying terminators are.

Caporegime
T3 was crap. It was a soulless rehash of T2. Salvation was forgettable. Literally. I don't remember what happened in it.

T1, T2 and TSCC are good. The T2 pinball table is pretty good as well. I'd rather watch someone else play the pinball table for 2 hours than watch T3 again.

T3 tried a bit too hard to be funny, as well. You knew what it was going for when Arny puts on those Dame Edna glasses at the start. Too many attempts at cheap gags, which mostly fell completely flat.

Some bits of the film (as I recall) were OK. But, like you say, too much was just a pale imitation of the 2nd film.

Perhaps it would have been better if they'd killed the terminator early on, and spend the rest of the film battling the prototypes and the newly awakened Skynet. Or simply not had a terminator. Skynet didn't need its help, to be frank.

Back
Top Bottom