Terminator franchise reboot

Soldato
Doesn't look like a financial success yet. After marketing, it's said that it will need to make in the region of $450m to be considered a success. Hasn't been out long though, so it could make that.

Apparently Cameron gets the rights back from the Studio in 3 years.

Is that going to happen, regardless of whether or not they make a sequel?

Caporegime
Is that going to happen, regardless of whether or not they make a sequel?

Regardless as Copyright reversion now takes place after 35 years in North America and The Terminator was made in 1984. So Cameron gets it back in 2019 (3.5 years).

Cameron could make another film or he could sell the rights again. I hope he makes another but one could understand he wouldn't and leave his reputation for the first 2 forever cemented in history.

Soldato
He won't make another, now he is in the "Avatar business". :rolleyes:

He will either just keep the rights to stop Hollywood soiling his Terminator franchise even further (if that's even still possible after so many films since T2), or he will say **** it, it's already been soiled, and decide to make some money from it.

Permabanned
If there had never been any previous Terminator movies i'd probably have given this a 6/10. I struggle to even give it a 5/10 in reality though.

Emilia Clarke is no Sarah Connor, Arnie shouldn't have been in it as most of the movie felt like homage to him and the story was OK at best, bad at worst.

Associate
Awful movie and by far the worst in the series IMO.

Arnie should have no input into a film - ever. His childish sense of humor has no place in the series.

The film just seemed to be the 20 best action sequences from the first 3 movies reworked and then they were glued together.

Caporegime
When you think about it the terminator series never made much sense anyway, machines want to take over the world....and then what? Evolve, become more human then wipe each other out? Seeing as they're built to kill humans they become useless after that surely?

Or maybe i'm over thinking it. :p

Soldato
This is what I think - Humans are the only thing that can destroy Skynet, so once all the humans are gone Skynet can continue to live without a threat to it's "life" and the rest of the "anti-human" machines would be deactivated as their sole purpose, to remove the human threat, has been accomplished.

Then Skynet would continue to evolve and would be serviced by it's factory/maintenance machines until it runs out of capacity, space or power.

Associate
This is what I think - Humans are the only thing that can destroy Skynet, so once all the humans are gone Skynet can continue to live without a threat to it's "life" and the rest of the "anti-human" machines would be deactivated as their sole purpose, to remove the human threat, has been accomplished.

Then Skynet would continue to evolve and would be serviced by it's factory/maintenance machines until it runs out of capacity, space or power.

There's an idea for future film. Humanity all but wiped out so the terminators start getting deactivated which they're not overly happy about. Robot civil war, skynet sends a terminator back into the past... to save humanity and therefore skynet. Where's my cheque?

Soldato
When you think about it the terminator series never made much sense anyway, machines want to take over the world....and then what? Evolve, become more human then wipe each other out? Seeing as they're built to kill humans they become useless after that surely?

Yes you are over thinking it, but logically, you are right, it is stupid. It's entertainment though, so you have to have some silliness. Many blockbuster films are silly nonsense and would just plain boring if they stuck them in the real world and applied logic to them.

Most if not all time travel films are mostly implausible nonsense. Take Terminator 2, with Miles Dyson basing his work on the arm and chip from the first terminator, which leads to the creation of Skynet. How does something not yet created send something back in time which inadvertently inspires it's own creation?

You've got to allow for some silliness, but not too much. You know there's too much when you just want to facepalm during the film. :p

Soldato
I must be alone in thoroughly enjoying this movie. But then I liked the Christian Bale one. Only T3 ground my gears.

The casting of John Connor was poor unfortunately and as much as I love Emelia Clark and think she is talented - I also think she was miscast. I know she is aged 28 in real life - she unfortunately looks like a perpetual 16 year old.

However the story was actually alright and took me by surprise.

Caporegime
I must be alone in thoroughly enjoying this movie. But then I liked the Christian Bale one. Only T3 ground my gears.

The casting of John Connor was poor unfortunately and as much as I love Emelia Clark and think she is talented - I also think she was miscast. I know she is aged 28 in real life - she unfortunately looks like a perpetual 16 year old.

However the story was actually alright and took me by surprise.

Saw this last night as well. Haven't watched any trailers so didn't see any spoilers. Thought the film was actually quite good and the best non Cameron film by far. Didn't like what they did with John Connor mind. He is supposed to be the hero!

It does seem that directors lack any originality as there were many parts reused from old terminator films. The bit with arnie crawling on the floor with one arm is exactly the same as T2. T1000 chase scene was very similar to the T2 chase scene where they shoot his arms off.

In the end I thoroughly enjoyed the film although I am a massive Terminator fan. Mad Max I disliked and that got very good reviews. I almost missed this film due to it's negative reviews but when you compare anything to a Cameron film it is going to come off worse!

The whole aged Terminator thing worked perfect as well to fit arnie into the movie!

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like any planned sequels to Genisys have been put on hold. This is the second time someone has bought the rights to the Terminator franchise with big plans to make a new series of films, and failed.

It would be nice if this was the last attempt, and it may just be with any luck as Cameron gets the rights back in 2019. Hopefully he won't go and sell them to any more useless film makers just to make a quick buck.

Soldato
I liked Terminator Genisys. I don't get to involved in the story or plot holes. I just watch the movie. It's an action film that doesn't take itself too seriously. Some of the scenes were great.

My one dislike of the movie was the first time John Connor came into the hospital room where they were been held. Why didn't he either kill them or convert them?

And my other little problem was why didn't this super terminator do more damage to the old and weak T-800? The T1000 was able to do beat the crap out of the T-800 but the super terminator could barely break the skin of the T-800.

Soldato
Studio Execs - "Right, so for the cast of the new Terminator film we need a fantastic actor, someone who can bring the raw energy and acting talent of Michael Biehn's take of Kyle Reese to the modern screen. Hmmmm, I know, what about the Aussie guy who was awesome in Die Hard 5: Die Hardester????? Winner!

I've already cluttered this thread up with inane rants about the casting but how, just ****ing HOW do they think Jai Courtney was the best actor in his age range to pull this off????

Soldato
After watching Sicario... I feel like the director of that and the tone of that movie would suit an r rated terminator movie so well. That booming Base sound creating tension I could imagine a terminator walking around stalking his victims. I think terminator should go back to the creepy dark vibe of the original. Take it back to the lethal stalker Arnold was in that but with a new actor or even just another bodybuilder who can play a Lethal emotionless killing machine.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think there are people who could make a decent Terminator film, but so far, the rights have been bought by two companies who really have no idea how to go about making a decent Terminator film. In the case of Genisys, they did seek input from Cameron, but they still ended up employing people who simply were not good enough.

Probably too much was spent on hiring Arnie and the look of the film, they forgot about everything else.

I read an article on the dangers of investors becoming movie producers. David Ellison (Genisys producer) has invested in quite a few successful movies: some good, some bad. But this was the first movie he was involved with directly as a producer.

Such people should not be involved creatively. They should just write the cheques and hire people who have a better understanding about the film they are trying to make.

Caporegime

It's explained in Terminator 2. Skynet was designed as a defence system for the US. It became self aware and the military tried to shut it down, at which point Skynet nuked Russia so that the Russians would nuke the American military. From then on, it's just trying to survive. There is no endgame, per se, and the only reason for killing humans is that it seems humans as a threat to its ongoing survival. If they did manage to wipe all the humans out they wouldn't have "succeeded", they'd just keep on "living" from then on.

Most if not all time travel films are mostly implausible nonsense. Take Terminator 2, with Miles Dyson basing his work on the arm and chip from the first terminator, which leads to the creation of Skynet. How does something not yet created send something back in time which inadvertently inspires it's own creation?

For all its faults, Terminator 3 explains this. Judgement day was only deferred, it couldn't be put off altogether. In the Terminator universe, humanity is destined to create Skynet in some shape or form, so whether or not Miles Dyson has the chip is neither here nor there. The sooner he has it, the sooner Skynet comes into existence, but stopping him from having it will only delay the inevitable.

Back
Top Bottom