Tesco Direct - Pure Lies

Soldato
I'm not the type to buy IT stuff for ridiculous prices from their catalogue, but I was flicking through and noticed a section on "Networking cables - Don't forget to check if you need cables".

In it, it has a comparison on Cat5(not e, well not mentioned anyway) to Cat6

RJ45 Cat 5 cables: Recommended for G modem routers - offers standard connection between your computer and modem.
RJ45 Cat 6 cables: Recommended for N modem routers - offers faster connections between your computer and modem.

[sarcasm]Yea, because Cat5 is SOOOOOOO slow it cannot even keep up with N[/sarcasm]

What's worse is the next line (talking about RJ11)...
Phone line to modem cable - provides 10 times faster connection verses a standard phoneline[sic] cable.

What total rubbish... a good cable might be better than a totally rubbish cable that is raped to **** and 300 miles line, but 10x? WTF.

Speed reference shows more like Dial up to ADSL speeds, but it doesn't mention this, it mentions the cable will increase the speed.

And people will believe this, do they deserve to be tricked simply because they are stupid?

Who the hell writes this stuff... I don't know what is worse, someone who knows what they are doing, or someone that doesn't know what they are doing.

Caporegime
Well Category 5 (not E) is rated to 100 Mbps, so recommending Cat 6 for use with a 802.11n router which can do 600Mbps and is likely to have gigabit ports isn't really such a bad idea. Of course Cat5e does gigabit just fine and you'd struggle to find Cat5 that isn't 'e' anywhere.

Can't defend the thing about the phone cable though, it won't make a difference.

Soldato
lol load of rubbish.

I don't even think you can buy Cat5 cable anymore, its all Cat5e which is fine for 1Gbps... Cat 6 cable on the other hand will do 10Gbps and is designed with better noise reduction.

Its not the first time, a large PC superstore were selling packs of Cat 6 cable "recommened for broadband" not long ago.

Soldato
lol load of rubbish.

I don't even think you can buy Cat5 cable anymore, its all Cat5e which is fine for 1Gbps... Cat 6 cable on the other hand will do 10Gbps and is designed with better noise reduction.

Its not the first time, a large PC superstore were selling packs of Cat 6 cable "recommened for broadband" not long ago.

CAT5e will do 10Gbps upto 40m ;)
It's CAT6a which is rated for 10Gbit upto 100m, CAT 6 isn't.

Back
Top Bottom