The Tesla Thread

Soldato
What am I missing? So far Tesla have tended to deviate very little from reveal - production, infact that's one of their specific goals that they 'don't to concepts'? I know it's going to get about 5% smaller for easier garage fitting, but that's all I've heard. What makes it any less pedestrian friendly than other pickups?

Soldato
I would assume, like all their other cars, it will have class leading safety. I'm guessing that pedestrian tests also account for passive safety systems aswell as physical characteristics? I don't think they'd have the pre-order page up if it had no chance of getting here.

Caporegime
I would assume, like all their other cars, it will have class leading safety. I'm guessing that pedestrian tests also account for passive safety systems aswell as physical characteristics? I don't think they'd have the pre-order page up if it had no chance of getting here.
Not with those angles it wont be

The pre orders are to get cash into Tesla and as long as people want to be able to say they have a deposit down.

Soldato
A bit of googling suggests Trucks != Cars, so have different standards to meet. Indeed it seems the issue in Europe will be not the shape as such, but the rigidity. The structure is too strong to dissipate impact, I guess they'll need to make a crumple zone version for Europe.

Soldato
Not with those angles it wont be

The pre orders are to get cash into Tesla and as long as people want to be able to say they have a deposit down.

Exactly that. That's why the deposit was so cheap and the demonstrator such a cobbled-together affair. Just a quick way to grab a load of headlines, flush some negativity out of the press (pretty sure there was other bad news circulating at the time, which Tesla usually tries to distract from with some fireworks) and an easy route to getting a load of cash dumped into its accounts. Keeps it ticking along. What happens next will be interesting to see!

Soldato
Exactly that. That's why the deposit was so cheap and the demonstrator such a cobbled-together affair. Just a quick way to grab a load of headlines, flush some negativity out of the press (pretty sure there was other bad news circulating at the time, which Tesla usually tries to distract from with some fireworks) and an easy route to getting a load of cash dumped into its accounts. Keeps it ticking along. What happens next will be interesting to see!

There's always negative press towards companies who are as disruptive as Tesla. And many people who are poisoned against them have had to eat their words so many times now. Sometimes done in a very "public" way (example). The Cybertruck is no different and as they always do, they'll prove the naysayers wrong. I don't understand exactly how it's going to work in the UK market either, but frankly that isn't an important market for the company for that particular product. The US is a very different story and the Cybertruck is oriented far more towards their very large pickup truck market. I think it's a very interesting, unique and innovative product just like others that the company makes (and not just talking about their vehicles here).

Soldato
Just to clarify, I don't mean negative press as in people slating them for whatever – I mean with regards to the company actively trying to distract from whistle-blowing reports, legal cases and environmental issues at its plants. :)

Soldato
I've followed the company for many years. I think you might've missed my point - the company has been one of the most heavily shorted in the history of the NASDAQ. They don't pay any money in advertising and are going up against an established and entrentched industry with some very powerful backers (i.e. the oil industry). It's no surprise that these "reports" and "legal cases" are usually brought up and put in the spotlight in a way that they aren't with other companies. It's a company that upsets and disrupts many people and many industries and there are people out there doing what they can to try to stop that. If you dig a little deeper and understand the actual motivation of some of the reports you're referring to. And the connections that the authors of said reports have. You'll start to understand this a bit more.

Soldato
I'm thinking about more cut-and-dried stuff, such as the EPA fining it for unlawful emissions – and, yes, to some extent the bizarre stuff back at the Gigafactory back in '18 and onwards. The latter, definitely, is not something I'd take at face value.

Soldato
Don't know if this was posted in here yet?

Very interesting explaining how the octovalve actually works, it's in 3 parts and i found it very interesting.

Worth watching the one about the superbottle first if you don't already know how that works as it kind of sets up for the model Y octovalve videos

Soldato
To be honest, the cyber truck is a bit of a minger but I am not ashamed to admit I am well into it. While people shouldn’t take car styling tips from me because I actually like how the BMW i3 is styled. There is something about the cyber truck that completely resonates with my inner 5 year old and I love how utilitarian it is.

If it ever came to the U.K. I would take one over the similarly priced Model Y any day of the week. My wife would try to veto it but that wouldn’t stop me.

The Y is objectively the best car they make right now and I’m seriously considering one when they launch it here. The 3 is a great car but the Y fixes all its shortcomings at the cost of being a bit larger.

The above videos demonstrate how innovative and disruptive Tesla can be with its cars. It’s taken awhile for the industry to admit but the way Tesla engineers it’s cars is class leading and really shows up some of the incumbents for what they are.

Soldato
If it ever came to the U.K. I would take one over the similarly priced Model Y any day of the week.

Really? I only sound surprised because I think the realities of living with it here would immediately make it an absolute royal pain.

Example:

R4gN4IV.jpg

This a Bentley Mulsanne. It is a big car, evidently. It does not fit in many spaces. My space wasn't exactly small, either; I could fit conventional large four-door saloons in it with ease.

The Cybertruck is currently a foot longer than Mulsanne – it measures almost six metres! The average UK parking space is 4.8 metres long...

Soldato
The Y is objectively the best car they make right now and I’m seriously considering one when they launch it here. The 3 is a great car but the Y fixes all its shortcomings at the cost of being a bit larger.

The above videos demonstrate how innovative and disruptive Tesla can be with its cars. It’s taken awhile for the industry to admit but the way Tesla engineers it’s cars is class leading and really shows up some of the incumbents for what they are.

I had an i3 previously and if the model 3 wasn't so good overall I'd have been happy to just upgrade my 2015 model to get more range.

I also like the cyber truck as it's different but I can imagine it'll attract so much attention in the UK initially (in whatever form) that owning one for a techy introvert like me would be a bit of a trial.

So I'm probably upgrading to the Model Y next even though I don't need the extra practicality. I'm just drawn to the constant improvement.

I'm following the Munro comparison of the current leading US trucks even though the Cyber Truck is possibly years away from release the process of how the current trucks have evolved is a good insight.

Associate
Question to anyone considering buying the truck, have you ever in the last 5 years thought about buying a pickup or a transit van or similar? Because it's bigger than most UK vans I think?

Got to test autopilot today for the first time in 3 months. I think it's improved a lot, especially slowing down for twisties

Last edited:
Associate
Question to anyone considering buying the truck, have you ever in the last 5 years thought about buying a pickup or a transit van or similar? Because it's bigger than most UK vans I think?

Got to test autopilot today for the first time in 3 months. I think it's improved a lot, especially slowing down for twisties

yes i have 2020.16.2.1 atm and it does now slow down in advanced for bends in the roads. Still thinking about if i will splash down £5800 for FSD this month . Elon still expecting to put the price up by 1000 world wide. v soon.

this is a good recent example from this week with tesla driver in the UK

Back
Top Bottom