The Tesla Thread

Soldato
One potentially-significant source of used Teslas are people who previously had longish commutes who are now working from home on a permanent basis post-COVID.

Yeah absolutely. Bearing in mind that any purchased through businesses either as company or directors cars will have to pay tax on the sale price, which with the 100% FYA and slow depreciation (sale price and servicing costs) it's unlikely to make much financial sense to sell this early. Unless they desperately need the cash!

Soldato
One potentially-significant source of used Teslas are people who previously had longish commutes who are now working from home on a permanent basis post-COVID.

Agreed. Difficult times for the traditional manufacturers finance divisions ahead.

At least three of my colleagues have cancelled PCPs that are over half way through (admittedly for non-Tesla's) as they don't need two cars - it's just a £hundreds wasted a month. Better to go with the car that's cheaper/paid off than the one on finance for most in these economic times.

Associate
Hi all.

I'm considering getting a long range model 3 as a lease through work...

However I've read quite a lot of issues around quality (paint, panel gaps etc.)

With it being a lease I of course have to give it back at the end of the term and will be charged for any damage beyond what they consider wear and tear. So the potential issues around paint is concerning...

What are peoples thoughts on the paint etc quality?

Thanks

Soldato
The paint is awful. On my car you could see the black body panels under the white paint it was so thin. I wish I had a photo of it (I've sold the car), but it looked like abstract art more than a painted body panel.

Soldato
I've had no such issues or problems with mine. Granted I came from a Kia so my expectations of build quality etc aren't exactly high, but I'd still notice actual problems.

I've got the SR and I absolutely bloody love it. You get a lot of car for the OTR.

Associate
The paint is awful. On my car you could see the black body panels under the white paint it was so thin. I wish I had a photo of it (I've sold the car), but it looked like abstract art more than a painted body panel.

That's pretty awful! When did you have it? Wonder if things have improved since...

Associate
I've had no such issues or problems with mine. Granted I came from a Kia so my expectations of build quality etc aren't exactly high, but I'd still notice actual problems.

I've got the SR and I absolutely bloody love it. You get a lot of car for the OTR.

What colour have you got?

It is a very interesting car! I test drove the performance range... Crazy acceleration!

Soldato
Hi all.

I'm considering getting a long range model 3 as a lease through work...

However I've read quite a lot of issues around quality (paint, panel gaps etc.)

With it being a lease I of course have to give it back at the end of the term and will be charged for any damage beyond what they consider wear and tear. So the potential issues around paint is concerning...

What are peoples thoughts on the paint etc quality?

Thanks

If it’s a lease car, any issues in terms of build quality is their problem (the lease company own the car).

If you dent it, scratch it or curb it, then of course that’s your problem...

Associate
If it’s a lease car, any issues in terms of build quality is their problem (the lease company own the car).

If you dent it, scratch it or curb it, then of course that’s your problem...

Yeah, panel alignment issues and that would be more inconvenience than anything. As it'll all be their responsibility to sort.

Main concern is around longer term paint issues... Reading online makes it seem like you just look at the paint and it'll scratch :D
, but it's hard to tell whether it's overblown/negative Internet bias or a genuine issue for a good number

Soldato
Main concern is around longer term paint issues... Reading online makes it seem like you just look at the paint and it'll scratch :D
, but it's hard to tell whether it's overblown/negative Internet bias or a genuine issue for a good number

All of the above really, most modern cars have pretty terrible, thin paint due to environmental regulations. Tesla is certainly far from the best though and there are plenty of examples of 'Friday cars' out there and there is no denying that but you do have to take into account that anything negative is likely to be amplified by the MSN because well, Tesla. Those kinds of quality issues do absolutely exist with all manufacturers but are entirely uninteresting and there isn't really an objective measure about who is the best/worst as most people don't notice it/care.

Associate
Paint is VERY easily chipped. Someone scraped my car and really don't have the will to send it into the garage, despite being no fault. Given the likelihood of my scratching it again, losing the car for a week or two seems pointless. Plus official garage don't fix, they just replace everything! Seems a bit odd to replace an entire bumper for a scratch.

Can confirm sentry cam works though!

Last edited:
Associate
Paint is fine on mine and a 2 friends Model 3’s (2 x Midnight Silver and 1 x Blue) - I have read online about people with issues so there do seem to be a few “friday afternoon” paint jobs

Gog

Gog

Associate
Finally picked up my M3LR today after various delays mainly due to covid. Thanks @oneilldo for the referral; hope you have your miles in your account now. The new contact-less collection may not be to everyone's taste but it suited me perfectly. Essentially gave me the key cards and as much time as I needed to look over the car by myself, then I told them I has happy to accept, click of a button and I was good to go. I didn't notice any issues in respect of paint or panel alignment but there were a couple of folks there with some issues they said made the car undriveable. Tesla still seem to have a long way to go in terms of quality control and their pre-delivery communication, or lack of, has probably been the worst I've ever encountered. Not had a chance to give it a proper run out to see if there are any un-obvious issues, as apparently everyone in South London decided to take a drive this afternoon, but have seven days to report back on anything so some piece of mind there.

Being my first "automatic" the muscle memory of gear changing is taking a while to disappear but soon forgotten about when I push the fast pedal :) Don't think that will ever get old.

nam

nam

Soldato
will be interested to see how production of Model Y in Tesla Berlin improves quality. It has been said the Chinese giga factory producing Tesla Model 3 for the the domestic market has better level of sound insulation and finishing for local buyers

Associate
Finally picked up my M3LR today after various delays mainly due to covid. Thanks @oneilldo for the referral; hope you have your miles in your account now. The new contact-less collection may not be to everyone's taste but it suited me perfectly. Essentially gave me the key cards and as much time as I needed to look over the car by myself, then I told them I has happy to accept, click of a button and I was good to go. I didn't notice any issues in respect of paint or panel alignment but there were a couple of folks there with some issues they said made the car undriveable. Tesla still seem to have a long way to go in terms of quality control and their pre-delivery communication, or lack of, has probably been the worst I've ever encountered. Not had a chance to give it a proper run out to see if there are any un-obvious issues, as apparently everyone in South London decided to take a drive this afternoon, but have seven days to report back on anything so some piece of mind there.

Being my first "automatic" the muscle memory of gear changing is taking a while to disappear but soon forgotten about when I push the fast pedal :) Don't think that will ever get old.

yeah nice one thanks for using it. I’ve not been using mine much due to the whole lockdown and more WFH. The boot is Surprisingly spacious though as managed to fit a fair bit of luggage in for various camping trips. Kept the kids quite in camp mode whilst we sorted the tent etc

Back
Top Bottom