The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Yep mine says the same.

I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment as my current PCP car term ends in March 2019 so I'm praying that early means early!

That said I may be tempted to switch to the Model S middle of next year
Just buy a banger in the mean time if it's a couple of months late. Better that way than being stuck in something you don't want for 2 years.

Soldato
Just buy a banger in the mean time if it's a couple of months late. Better that way than being stuck in something you don't want for 2 years.

I'd have to share a single car with the other half, no way would I sign up to anything else in the 'waiting period'.

Would be nice to know roughly what finance costs would be and whether it would be better getting it through work or PCP like my current car.

Soldato
I'd have to share a single car with the other half, no way would I sign up to anything else in the 'waiting period'.

Would be nice to know roughly what finance costs would be and whether it would be better getting it through work or PCP like my current car.

~Half model S on PCP. Makes sense based upon cars RRP and similar market segment such as C Class/3-Series

Caporegime
What an incredible machine. Not a fan of no cluster in front of me though. At least put a HUD in.

I do agree with that, I know it's supposed to be a 'mass market' car but with the 'Long range', 'premium interior' and 'Enhanced Autopilot' it's still not a cheap vehicle.

At least add a HUD to the Premium interior upgrade. I had a HUD on a Chevrolet Camaro rental in 2014 and it was brilliant. It showed your speed and also turn by turn sat-nav instructions. I wanted it on my 5 Series actually, but very few on the AUC site had it as an option.

Has everyone seen the video at the test track of the supposed 'Performance' Model 3? Might just be the 'Dual motor' one but it looked quick.

Soldato
At least add a HUD to the Premium interior upgrade. I had a HUD on a Chevrolet Camaro rental in 2014 and it was brilliant. It showed your speed and also turn by turn sat-nav instructions. I wanted it on my 5 Series actually, but very few on the AUC site had it as an option.
My 5 has HUD and it is probably my favourite option. I would spec it personally if buying new.

Caporegime
Used prices on the Model S will be interesting when the Model 3 finally comes to the UK in RHD.

I would think that by 2019, a 2017 Model S P75D with Enhanced Autopilot will probably be about the same as a new Model 3 with all the options.

Soldato
Yea and this is going to be a problem for used prices once batteries start going out of warranty. It's a matter of when, not if that a huge bill is going to strike. Unlike an ICE which can run for forever if maintained and costs are spread out.

Not a problem if batteries tank in price though.

Caporegime
I guess Tesla will have to think about introducing an affordable battery replacement scheme for the Model 3.

On google I saw they would swap a Model S batteries to a P100d batteries for $20,000, but nobody is going to pay that sort of money for a Model 3

Also found this

Battery degradation is non-linear over time; meaning it starts very very slow, but after 4-5 years, it gets faster.
After the first 5 years, degradation may be as low as 5%.
But by the 8th year, they expect about 30% degradation.

Man of Honour
Yea and this is going to be a problem for used prices once batteries start going out of warranty. It's a matter of when, not if that a huge bill is going to strike. Unlike an ICE which can run for forever if maintained and costs are spread out.

Not a problem if batteries tank in price though.
its not a problem now, from the data we have so far, the car will be worthless before the batteries give up.

I guess Tesla will have to think about introducing an affordable battery replacement scheme for the Model 3.

On google I saw they would swap a Model S batteries to a P100d batteries for $20,000, but nobody is going to pay that sort of money for a Model 3

Also found this

its actually the over way around, it starts fast and slows down to almost nothing.

https://electrek.co/2016/11/01/tesla-battery-degradation/

and whats the average milegage of a car before its scrapped, 150k miles?

im also expecting model3 batteries to be better, their university research partners have already done amazing things with battery longevity, that I assume Tesla would have implemented in the new model 3 cells. Also if you look at the data sheets from America, despite being a lower number of cells it can actually accept a much higher charger rate.

Last edited:
Associate

Problem with that is living with a banger and actually knowing whether you can rely on it, by the same token the same goes for the model 3, will it be any good.

Having had my prompt from Tesla and seeing mid 2019, I've cancelled my reservation, reckon the new Nissan Leaf will do all I actually need from an electric car and I can order it now, the car we are replacing has started to have some expensive failures, warranty is out in March I need a reliable replacement ASAP not in 2019.

Man of Honour
Just watched the above video on the model 3. Why remove the buttons from the dash? Is it purely a cost cutting exercise as I would put money on car accidents going through the roof due to not looking at the road.
why would it go through the roof, and it hasnt. model s and x are the same.
you still have the contextual wheels on the wheels steering to do a lot of stuff.
there's also the ota updates where less physical stuff the better, and these cars are designed in the longterm in mind and drivers driving less and less.

Soldato
I guess their idea with the centre dash is that with full automation you wont actually need to look at it.

Plent of other cars have their dials in the centre so the model 3 isn't the first to do this.

I think i'll be putting my deposit towards a model s when I can

Back
Top Bottom