The Tesla Thread

Caporegime
Not looking good for emergency access in the event of an accident: https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045

And those fit and finish tolerances are just shocking.

From the article

It’s worth noting that a representative for the company told me over the phone that Munro’s biggest automaker clients are the “Big Three.”

Not biased at all then? :D

It's all stuff that I'm hoping they will have sorted by the time we get them.

Caporegime
Aren't Tesla's pretty much the safest cars to crash in? I'd prefer that the car keeps me alive first and foremost. If it takes emergency services a bit longer to get me out then I can live with that.

Assuming the batteries aren't burning me alive.

Caporegime
Aren't Tesla's pretty much the safest cars to crash in? I'd prefer that the car keeps me alive first and foremost. If it takes emergency services a bit longer to get me out then I can live with that.

What makes you think that ?

Soldato
From the article

Not biased at all then? :D

It's all stuff that I'm hoping they will have sorted by the time we get them.

Not in the slightest – it's an engineering firm at its core. Munro & Associates provides tear-down and optimisation information for companies, so bias doesn't come into it (as it's no use to anyone).

Five star Euro NCAP rating for the Model S but it's outperformed by myriad cars in the individual categories (e.g. Tesla gets 82% for adult protection, VW Arteon 96%).

Model 3 production just appears a complete mess at the moment and no doubt will continue to be a nightmare for months, if not years, to come.

Associate of mine noticed that Musk has tweeted 17 times about his attention-diverting 'flamethrowers' since January the 5th, but hasn't mentioned cars at all...

Soldato

NCAP scores aren't as good as the Zoe/Leaf. Still 5 stars though. With all three cars, it's the pedestrian score that's the worst. Stands to reason really; being heavy, with a low center of gravity is a good thing for anyone in the car. Not so great for the poor bugger that gets hit.

Caporegime
Have you ever driven a car with autowipers good enough that you can completely rely on them?
I don't fully understand it but from what I do understand. The auto wipers on the Model 3 are different from other/traditional wiper systems. Not using a windscreen sensor but a combination of "cameras and neural network" - whatever the last bit means.

Youtube videos seems to depict it as being very very good, so far. I've not seen anyone complaining about it.

EDIT: Also although we might not even find out. I am so curious about what is delaying the Model 3 production to the target of 5000 a week like they intend. My guessing is there must be some part of it which they seem to be unable to automate with machines therefore relies on organic intervention :p

Or battery shortages maybe?

Caporegime
Also although we might not even find out. I am so curious about what is delaying the Model 3 production to the target of 5000 a week like they intend. My guessing is there must be some part of it which they seem to be unable to automate with machines therefore relies on organic intervention :p

What I've seen says that the problem is welding. All previous Teslas have used aluminium but model 3 uses steel and they're struggling to get the welds to work when the production line runs at full speed; they're not cooling fast enough.

Soldato
It's been widely reported the problems are at the Giga Factory and specifically battery pack (not cell) production.

They're also completely unreliable when it comes to Tesla coverage, so avoid if you want an honest picture.

I never said it wasn't biased.

Not looking good for emergency access in the event of an accident: https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-teardown-by-engineering-firm-reveals-qual-1822678045

And those fit and finish tolerances are just shocking.

After watching the video the person is also obviously biased, couple that with the fact most of his revenue is generated from 'the big three' it is pretty easy to see. The fact he called the company 'electronics snobs' in the opening seconds pretty much confirmed it. There was also nothing about any good engineering either so it was completely imbalanced. Most of the things he talked about were not even engineering issues:

He spend a few minutes moaning about getting the frunk open in an emergency. If a firefighter needed to do that in a life and death situation they are just going to crowbar it and have it open in seconds. As with an ICE they are not worried about leaving the car in a good condition, the chances are the roof is coming off if they are having to do an extraction. If they are not doing an extraction, then its not an emergency. Those wires are there for if the 12V battery dies which would essentially brick the car until it is replaced and that is the only way you get to it.

He was moaning about cutting the HV cables through the rear quarter panel, which is a thing on all EV's and not just Tesla. Again firefighters are briefed on how to deal different types of vehicle and this is a standard they all follow, I don't see the issue.

He moans about the door handles, seriously.... if you don't like them, don't buy it, it's hardly an engineering problem. He then has a mini rant about having to climb out the trunk from the rear seats....

Door trim, seals and panel gaps were completely fair comments though and really need to be sorted.

Last edited:
Associate
I do think that the electronic door and front boot switches are a solution to a problem which doesn’t exist. A manual release would be more elegant, especially with the doors.

Associate
The electronic releases are there to allow the car to be used in car sharing. At least that's one theory I saw that made sense. By having everything electronically controlled the real owner of the car can disable access to certain things they don't want car share users using. Like the front boot, the glove box etc.

Caporegime
I did watch a Model 3 video last night (well, several) and one guy commented after owning the car for a week that the internal front door handles do take a lot of getting used to. Also the official statement from Tesla regarding the manual emergency handles is that too much use of it may cause permanent damage.

Can see some "education" will be required to literally anyone who gets in the car for the first time.

Back
Top Bottom