Tesla

Soldato
I am currently running a trial of some sophisticated logging and analysis of my own solar system using a zinc bromine flow battery. Tech is already there.

I saw these on Fully Charged, look very interesting and much more suitable than lithium ion for a home setting. How are you finding them?

Soldato
A guy I know is building his own kers system in his shed. There is a lot of things manufacturers can do to improve efficiency, but they would rather take the profits instead.

Man of Honour
Tesla Model S is almost my perfect car at the moment. Just wish it wasn't well over £100k for my preferred spec. :(
Also would need to find somewhere to charge it. No garage. Hmmm.

Man of Honour
Tesla Model S is almost my perfect car at the moment. Just wish it wasn't well over £100k for my preferred spec. :(
Also would need to find somewhere to charge it. No garage. Hmmm.
you don't need a garage but you do need a driveway at the moment. You can buy the charger which is weather proof and install it on an outside wall. It comes with an 8 or 24ft cord iirc.

Soldato
I like these, too much money for me right now but I can see it being something I could look at in a few years time.

There are a few "er" moments when you talk to the sales people about them, they seem to gloss over servicing on them.. it doesn't have an engine so service requirements are minimal they say. That and what if I screw up and run out of charge in wales, how do you help me? It won't happen he said. Hmm.
But the concept, even the range are interesting and for the most entirely practical.

Soldato
Some EVs can be a bit of a nightmare if they break down I think (or they go flat). Not all of them can be towed without causing damage.

Man of Honour
They are truly awesome, I'd have one in a heartbeat if I could afford it and I could conveniently charge it at home. I'm a massive fan of Tesla and the wider Musk empire.

Man of Honour
I like these, too much money for me right now but I can see it being something I could look at in a few years time.

There are a few "er" moments when you talk to the sales people about them, they seem to gloss over servicing on them.. it doesn't have an engine so service requirements are minimal they say. That and what if I screw up and run out of charge in wales, how do you help me? It won't happen he said. Hmm.
But the concept, even the range are interesting and for the most entirely practical.
it shouldn't be an er moment, its on their website and its only recommended and if you don't take it up, it doesn't affect warranty. The only thing it affects is
If you are financing your Tesla vehicle through Tesla Financing, you will only be eligible for the full Resale Value Guarantee if your Tesla vehicle is brought in for service per the above recommended timeline.

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/support/maintenance-plans

Man of Honour
I do think they're the future. But... I love big petrol engines preferably with a V8.

However if range wasn't an issue and the lack of noise I'd take one in an instant if it was offered to me. Though sometimes lack of noise is good, i.e. early morning or late evening driving.

I do find the fanboyism a little funny, and the whole drag race thing is so pointless. Sure you'll get to 60 or 100 faster maybe but at least the petrol car will keep going for a few hundred miles after! :p

That said I've experienced ludicrous mode and it is amazing! Very grin inducing and quite surreal. Look forward to the future of this tech.

Soldato
Maybe if you turn off the heating/aircon and radio lol

Anyway, why is the servicing so expensive? What exactly is there to service when it's all sealed parts? Sounds like they just look at the brakes and tyres, then charge you a few £100 just because. If it was me I'd just take it to an indi garage, who will do nothing because there's nothing to do, then stamp the service book. Just to keep the warranty.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I suspect that the battery packs require a fair bit of looking after. Also, Tesla is very open about charging more for the cars and servicing to fund the X and 3.

Man of Honour
you don't need a garage but you do need a driveway at the moment. You can buy the charger which is weather proof and install it on an outside wall. It comes with an 8 or 24ft cord iirc.

And it'd be in full view of the street at the moment. Working on changes to the house though.

Soldato
Electric vehicles are pretty much a useless thing for me (and anyone else who lives in a house without a drive or a garage). Where the hell would I charge it? Leave a cable running from the house, through the letterbox and across the pavement? Yeah, that's going to go down well with the local yobbos and the dumb ***** who trips over it and sue the crap out of me. What happens if I can't park outside of my house for some reason?

Back
Top Bottom