Testoserone and bodybuilding.

Soldato
To my understanding testoserone is an important part of bodybuilding for muscular growth. So how do you (naturally!) keep these levels high? More/less sex (etc...), are there specific types of food (greens?).

I've never really thought about it before and I'm wondering how important it is.

Soldato
It's absolutely essential!

You can't build much muscle without it. It's why women can't get big without steroids and why men start putting on weight easier once they hit their 30's and it gets worse in 40's, then 50's etc as men's natural test levels drop. Test builds muscle and strips fat.

Alcohol obliterates your natural testosterone levels. Just a few pints will affect them and a good night out consisting of around 8 pints will lower your test for over 2 weeks! If you're serious about building muscle then drinking is a big no go.

There are supposed test boosters, like ZMA, tribulus and a few others but there's no real proof and they're pointless for anyone under the age of 30.

Soldato
ZMA and Tribulus turned me into a werewolf!! Hair sprouting out all over the place, raised my sex drive and got (extra) spots on my back.

Definately works but make sure you've got the basics nailed (diet, training, rest) before you start howling at a full moon :D

Soldato
OP
*howwwwwlllllll*

My diets getting better after the christmas period. Plus i'm only working weekends at the moment so no going 4 and a half hours without food!

Chong Warrior said:
It's absolutely essential!

You can't build much muscle without it. It's why women can't get big without steroids and why men start putting on weight easier once they hit their 30's and it gets worse in 40's, then 50's etc as men's natural test levels drop. Test builds muscle and strips fat.

Alcohol obliterates your natural testosterone levels. Just a few pints will affect them and a good night out consisting of around 8 pints will lower your test for over 2 weeks! If you're serious about building muscle then drinking is a big no go.

There are supposed test boosters, like ZMA, tribulus and a few others but there's no real proof and they're pointless for anyone under the age of 30.

Thanks for the post Chong. I very rarely have 8 pints in one night! 4 is usually the most, and I try and drink things like guinness and hoegaarden, they end up lasting longer as I can't drink them as fast as carlsberg etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
MTA99 said:
ZMA and Tribulus turned me into a werewolf!! Hair sprouting out all over the place, raised my sex drive and got (extra) spots on my back.

Definately works but make sure you've got the basics nailed (diet, training, rest) before you start howling at a full moon :D
lol:) interesting... are you under or over 30?
$loth said:
Thanks for the post Chong. I very rarely have 8 pints in one night! 4 is usually the most, and I try and drink things like guinness and hoegaarden, they end up lasting longer as I can't drink them as fast as carlsberg etc.
Doesn't matter how you dress it up, alcohol still does the same damage and has the same effects. I'm going of memory here so don't quote me but I'm pretty sure 4 pints a week is enough to suppress your testosterone levels for upto a week :eek:

If you serious, it's got to go. You can get away with it when younger upto a point but it really does have some powerfull effects on the body.

I gave up the booze for 4 months before christmas, though I had a good drink christmas day and got probably drank enough New Years Eve to reduce my test levels until the summer! :D
Haven't had a drink since though and won't for a while now.

Soldato
$loth said:
"You can get away with it when younger upto a point but it really does have some powerfull effects on the body."

How much can you get away with. I'm 18 years old.
wondering the same thing. I'm 21, and building at the minute. I dont want to be massive and am not fat. But I would like to put a stone on and maintain it! A lean 13stone Will do me fine! I didnt realise booze had such an effect. I very rarely drink more than 2-4 pints at once go but do so quite regularly at the moment (2-3 times a week), is this really hampering my training?

Soldato
$loth said:
"You can get away with it when younger upto a point but it really does have some powerfull effects on the body."

How much can you get away with. I'm 18 years old.
There's no exact science lol! :p

It was a bit of a misleading thing to say really but an 18 year old will recover quicker than a 35 year old. Alcohol still does a lot of damage to both!
Testosterone levels can vary wildly between different men and even within individuals as a result of illness or stress. However, studies have consistently shown that levels of the hormone decrease as men age.

Testosterone levels peak during a man's late 20's but decline soon after, decreasing about 1.5 percent per year after age 30. The decline is thought to be due to age-related changes in the testes, where the hormone is produced, and in the brain.

Soldato
$loth said:
How tall are you Oakesy? I'm 5ft 8 (and a half) and 11 stone at the moment. Would love to get to 12 stone and maintain it myself.

I'm 6 foot and 12 stone 4 at the minute. To get my goals I think I would have to put on a stone and a half and loose a little just to bring my abs out a bit more. But I am guessing, I go on what I look like not what I weigh, a leanish 13 stone just sounds about right judgeing by what I am now maybe a little more,
but having said that I dont want to be really lean if that makes any sense!
I really have no Idea, when I look right in the mirror I will maintain it!

However heavy brad pitt was in troy would do fine! :D

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
lol:) interesting... are you under or over 30?

I'm 25.

Took the myprotein trib and zma before they changed the stength and tub sizes. Got really vivid (freaky) dreams too - i never usually remember my dreams but on that combo i would remember them most nights :confused:

I'm back on the zma now to help with recovery.

Soldato
MTA99 said:
I'm 25.

Took the myprotein trib and zma before they changed the stength and tub sizes. Got really vivid (freaky) dreams too - i never usually remember my dreams but on that combo i would remember them most nights :confused:

I'm back on the zma now to help with recovery.
Try the ZMA with 5g of Taurine before bed. Throw some Vitamin B12 in for good measure... now there's a good nights kip ;)

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
Try the ZMA with 5g of Taurine before bed. Throw some Vitamin B12 in for good measure... now there's a good nights kip ;)

Taurine and B12!?! :confused: Surely that would keep you awake?!

On the subject of zma before bed, this batch of zma from MP says "avoid taking with calcium containing supplements". I'm trying the MP bedtime extreme formula atm so been taking the zma about 30-45mins before bed then the formula just as i'm getting in bed. Any probs with this?

Soldato
I also believed this up until a few months ago. Now I always take taurine before bed. Google "taurine sleep" & "Vitamin B12 sleep" if you're a non-believer ;) Great supplement taurine, so cheap with so many benefits.

As for the ZMA yeah I'd take it 45 mins before your calcium rich drink.

Soldato
Chong Warrior said:
I also believed this up until a few months ago. Now I always take taurine before bed. Google "taurine sleep" & "Vitamin B12 sleep" if you're a non-believer ;) Great supplement taurine, so cheap with so many benefits.

As for the ZMA yeah I'd take it 45 mins before your calcium rich drink.

Got loads of taurine, I have a little tub next to my desk for those days when work is just so dull!! :)

Am i right in thinking there's interaction between creatine and taurine or it is just that they're both cell volumisers? I've backed off the taurine a bit cos i wasn't sure.

Associate
Wondered why I wasnt building too much :(

I like my drink, well, I love my drink, I work out 4 times a week and stay about the same, so does my mate, but we do have 2 hard sessions on the last a week :(!

Soldato
Remember reading somewhere that taurine limits the testosterone reducing effects of booze and that low l-glutamine is one cause of hangovers.

So get some taurine down ya before you go out then take a nice big dose of l-glutamine when you get in........if you can coordinate your hand with a spoon and a glass of water!! :D

Soldato
Taurine is fantastic for preventing hangovers. 5g before turning out along with a load of water and you'll be fine in the morning :)

It helps keep the body hydrated, it's one of the resons they put it in Red Bull as it counter acts the dehydration effect of the caffeine.

Associate
When I used to go out I used to drink vodka and red bull all night, but now Ive switched to vodka and squash :o maybe I should buy some taurine next time im by holland and barrett never knew it gave you more balls and stopped hangovers, sounds like a wonder drug to me :)

Associate
is 5g right, i can only find 500mg tablets (0.5g :p cant see me chomping down 10 tabs a night) and any idea how well it stops the alcohol depleting your testosterone?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom