TFT = headache?

Soldato
tft + headache

Since getting a tft ive been getting headaches and cant spend much time on it.. also in games you can see more jumping things.. as in, CS when running you dont see the smooth floor infront of you it is very erm jagged and laggy looking..

Am i destined going back to my crt?

Man of Honour
If you are sure that it is your TFT then yes going back to your old CRT might be better for you. What is the TFT and what sort of response time does it have?

This might also be better in the monitors forum as they may be able to suggest solutions :)

Associate
Turn down the contrast to about 25%. This helped me a lot when I made the switch. The bright light really puts a strain on your eyes. It looks darker for about a minute but you get used to it. When I want to play games etc. I turn it up to about 75% which helps gameplay.

Caporegime
T00thBru5h said:
Have you changed the refresh rate? Anything below 72hz gives me a headache.

Go to Control Panel, Display, Advanced, Monitor/Adapter

You cant change most tfts refresh rates above 60hz though.

Lcds are sharper than crts so can cause the jaggy problem that you mention, and of course as the sharper a moving picture becomes, the less smooth it appears. Also being stuck at 60fps may be a cause.

So its probably a combination of the extra sharpness and the limited framerate. The extra sharpness is really what puts me off tfts.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
well its a 8ms model as i didnt want that ghosting

but it does seem a lot brighter and to me it seems a litle blurey

its a shame to go back to crt as more space and less heat.. :(

Soldato
Refresh rate on TFT doesnt compare to CRT. CRT's are drawn by a scanning beam of electrons which activates pixels 1 at a time, if you photograph a CRT with a 1000th of a second shutter speed camera, you'll see just a fraction of the screen is actually lit. The faster the refresh, the more of the screen is lit in any one split second, and the more the brain is fooled. >70hz is generally sufficient to fool the brain.

On the other hand TFT screens are 'fixed' you could have a 1hz refresh rate on a TFT and it still wouldnt flicker. All the pixels are charged, and change gracefully from one image to the next. There is no 'scanning'

TFT's are often set too bright, so worth adjusting them, they are normally setup for use in a brightly lit room. If you sit in near darkness then they would be far to bright and that could cause headaches. Turn down the brightness if you use the computer in poor lighting etc.

TFT's can get tearing if the graphics card sends out too many frames/second. Best to enable Vsync on the GPU. This limits the maximum framerate to match the GPU. The more important minimum frame rate is rately affected much. Tripple buffering can help to keep any affects on minimum frame rates to a minimum.

Viewsonic screens (and no doubt some others) do actually allow a 75hz refresh, so thats an extra 15fps on those screens.

Last edited:
Associate
yeah i know what you mean. I had a 22 inch nec diamond pro and then got a 19 inch samsung tft and the difference in games (cs: s) was huge. The game looked much worse, the textures were awful. I didn't get any headaches though. I just blame it on the quality of the monitor it was the cheapest 19" i could find at the time. Since then i've used the dell 2005/2405/2007 monitors and the games looked much better. I should have compared it to the crt i had but i gave it away many moons ago! :(

Back
Top Bottom