That’s it Sky has to go!

Soldato
Tesla said:
What I would do is leave your Sky box all connected up. It will work as a Freeview box and therefore still pipe the picture to the kitchen.

You could even join the coax from the satellite to the RF lead you have and depending on the quality of your "RF2 cable" you should be able to run the box directly off of that. Moving the sat box to the kitchen and connecting the RF cable now to the dish input.

If you would like some more advice on doing this then please ask.

How does that work? Will a Sky digibox and sat dish work for Freeview without a Sky subscription or am I being dim?

Soldato
MikeTimbers said:
How does that work? Will a Sky digibox and sat dish work for Freeview without a Sky subscription or am I being dim?

Free-sat would be a better description. Any of the free to air channels from the BBC, ITV and others are available via Sky without subscription making it equivalent to a terrestrial free-view box but over satelite

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Got my 9200 today and can't fault it really, it does what I want it to. I can watch tv, I can record tv. I can choose what to record up to a week ahead by just hitting ok on the tv guide entry for that program. Going to have to get used to the fact I have time shifting now as well, I'm sure I won't be able to live without it soon.

GSXRMovistar said:
Out of interest where are you ordering from? (if it's not considered a competitor)

I'd guess they are a competitor as they sell tvs and other home cinema tv stuff so could possibly be a competitor, but then again they might not.

Paid 205.99, service was excellent. Their website kept erroring when I was placing the order, even though it said my card wouldn't be charged I still got 4 confirmation emails lol!

But 9 am the next morning checked my work voicemail and they've left me a message asking me to call them to confirm which order I wanted and which I needed cancelling. Called them, all sorted, they asked when I wanted it to be delivered and cheekily I said tomorrow, they said no problem. 24 hours later it was sat under my desk at work :)

Mail is in trust if you have any questions about it.

Soldato
OP
I guess I may have ordered from the same place as I also paid £205.99 which appears to be the cheapest as everywhere else seems to be putting their prices up.

Order confirmed as being dispatched this evening and should be with me on Friday morning.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
And one of the only places to have stock, I called them and they had 240 in lol. Suffice to say they do sell home cinema tv stuff.

Just can't wait 'till we move (ages away yet) then I can buy a nice new telly to go with it :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well it turned up this morning before I went to work and I’ve had an hour to play with it this evening. First impression are VERY good, didn’t have a main ariel feed to test it with so just plugged in a small powered portable ariel and I was surprised to see that nearly every channel could still be picked up.

Picture is very good and the menu system is simple and clear to use, also like how you still get a small preview window of the current programme whilst browsing the guides etc, something I missed when moving to Sky from Telewest.

The time-shifting functions work well and it’s rather odd to be able to just pause/rewind live TV, I see this is going to be very useful. Will try and find time to set it up properly tomorrow and test it some more, and all going well Sky will get a call from me next week telling them to stick it. :p

Soldato
OP
Now hooked up to the main aerial so all channels work, tried out most of the features today and will repeat my previous comments about being very impressed with this kit.

Thought that recording two channels at once whilst watching a third was rather cool (if not a little geeky). What it lacks in channels compared to Sky is made up by the fact that you can build up a huge amount of recordings to ensure you always have something to watch, not to mention the amount of money to be saved.

Soldato
Don't mean to Hi Jack but is this basically the best PVR. This topic has got me thinking I should get one because I don't think I will be able to afford Sky HD.

Also I know someone can put me straight here but are all the DreamBox's for satellites?

I like the idea of a Ethernet capable device that’s all.

Soldato
OP
Tob3z said:
Don't mean to Hi Jack but is this basically the best PVR. This topic has got me thinking I should get one because I don't think I will be able to afford Sky HD.
Firstly these Freeview PVRs don't offer HD so probably not worth comparing to Sky HD whenever it's released, closest thing right now would be Sky+.

As for which is best, well at the moment the Humax and the Topfield seem to be the highest rated when it comes to high capacity twin tuner units, with the Topfield offering that little extra with TAPS (a system allowing you to customise many features). I suppose it comes down to personal choice, do you want something that can be taken out of the packaging and used within minutes or something that you can spend hours tweaking to give you exactly what you want?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
GSXRMovistar said:
Thought that recording two channels at once whilst watching a third was rather cool (if not a little geeky).

Noticed this tonight, recorded two things and could watch something elso no problem.

Soldato
GSXR did you take my advice and move the sky box to your kitchen to act as a freeview box? I didn't explain myself very clearly on that so if you need more info on it then please ask :)

Soldato
OP
Tesla said:
GSXR did you take my advice and move the sky box to your kitchen to act as a freeview box? I didn't explain myself very clearly on that so if you need more info on it then please ask :)
No need to do that, I'm taking the RF out of the Humax and passing the signal through the existing coax. It's only powering a 7" screen I have mounted in the wall so don't need a high quality feed. Also means I don't have to find somewhere in the kitchen to house/power the Sky box.

There's already a TV link module on the kitchen side of the coax so I just need to buy a TV Link+ to go on the other end in the A/V cabinet (living room) this will allow me to control everything from the kitchen if needed.

Back
Top Bottom