*** The 2010 Gym Rats Thread ***

Soldato
Ease yourself back into it. Depending on how you're training just don't push it. Usually you'll come back stronger after a short break but not in your first session.

Last edited:

hux

hux

Soldato
Rustoleum is good stuff better than hammerite anyway, used some on the metro fuel filler which rust like a bugger.

Well did the gym yesterday, that went fine hit all the same weights, will go legs today and chest/tri tomorrow if i feel up to it, my gym is closed until tuesday and even that day they close 5pm cutting it fine with work.

Ah well least im rested, anyway got as two week holiday until the 24th jan when i come back, once settled back into work and it's diet time, kind of dreading/looking forward to it, an odd sensation.

Oh i meant to say i have this little lot coming all for £120, muscle finesse have some bargains on atm, i'll be using the asgt pack along with my daa and going all out on next months holiday, should be interesting

1 X CNP Pro Peptide FREE Pro Recover 1.28kg Pro-Peptide 2.27kg - Chocolate
1 X LG Sciences Anadraulic State GT The Perfect Workout Kit FREE 720g
1 X Boditronics Mass Attack Heavyweight FREE Express Whey 2lb Mass Attack: Chocolate 6kg

Plus the 45 cla 1000, plus the lg t1-99 tabs sample, plus the free cytogenix cytonox for going over £50

Last edited:
Associate
For anyone interested I'm starting my 2 weeks (ish) of 5x5 on HST tomorrow.

I'm not quite sure of my weights for them yet but i know roughly having done 5x5 on my powerlifting split I did about a month ago. I'm hoping to get roughly around what i have listed below.

Exercises are:
Squat (130kg+)
Pullups (+15-20KG)
Dips (+25-30KG)
HC2PP (55-60kg)
Deadlift (150-160KG)
Bench (80-85KG)
BOR's (might change to bench row, no idea about weight for them but 80KG ish for BOR)
Seated Arnold Press (25-30KG)
(will probably add in some lateral raises but only as a side note)

Benny, how is your HST going?

Man of Honour
OP
Freefaller, is it wrong I got very excited about seeing you back online? Am I gay? :(

And yes, definitely need a new thread

Aw thanks dude. :) I do miss this place.

However, being home was too good to be online here I'm afraid. :o

I'm back now - so it's all good! :D

Bring some back! of both :D

Sounds like a plan.

I'll create a new thread in Jan.

As for the girls, was struck down by the most beautiful woman I have ever laid my eyes on... chatting to her as we speak - but damn it's going to be expensive if anything comes of it! :( :o

Soldato
For anyone interested I'm starting my 2 weeks (ish) of 5x5 on HST tomorrow.

I'm not quite sure of my weights for them yet but i know roughly having done 5x5 on my powerlifting split I did about a month ago. I'm hoping to get roughly around what i have listed below.

Exercises are:
Squat (130kg+)
Pullups (+15-20KG)
Dips (+25-30KG)
HC2PP (55-60kg)
Deadlift (150-160KG)
Bench (80-85KG)
BOR's (might change to bench row, no idea about weight for them but 80KG ish for BOR)
Seated Arnold Press (25-30KG)
(will probably add in some lateral raises but only as a side note)

Benny, how is your HST going?

Looks good but aren't the 5's on HST only 3 sets due to the high frequency?

Did my second set of 15's today. Doing them fasted in the morning on some BCAA's. It's challenging and different. Left wrist is a bit strained/sprained though atm so have been wearing a wrap.

Edit: How did you find the 10's? Upper body endurance isn't my thing, lowerbody I'm fine with so the 15's are quite challenging, deffinatley underestimated them.

Last edited:
Associate
just noticed the first page of this thread, was wondering how people got on with their targets:

I'll start.

Not happy about the second part of 2009 in terms of progress, so for this year I want:
-17.5" arms
-dips: bw+30kg for reps
-pullups: bw+20kg for reps
-an almost visible six-pack
-470+ on the big 3.

The arms bit sounds like it's coming from a "bicepz boy" but I want to focus a bit more on mass this year rather than strength, at 6 ft 2 and my arms look spaghetti even at 16+ inches. :(

well I didn't get the arms :( but I did get the rest, with 495 on the big 3. hopefully 2011 will be even better. :)

Associate
Looks good but aren't the 5's on HST only 3 sets due to the high frequency?

Did my second set of 15's today. Doing them fasted in the morning on some BCAA's. It's challenging and different. Left wrist is a bit strained/sprained though atm so have been wearing a wrap.

I thought you could do either but I am going to be doing 5x5. Sorry if it wasn't clear but those exercises aren't all on the same day its still A and B split with 4 each and some optional assistance (like my lat raises). I just like doing the volume, that is the main consideration for me although my brother has just shown me an article regarding rep ranges and strength, which I'm going to have to read in detail. I think whether you do 3x5 or 5x5 is partly up to you as well, which ever you prefer I suppose.

I did something odd to my wrist actually yesterday, no idea what but I couldn't really move it much so had to miss out on the end of cycle celebratory powercleans :(. Seems fine today though :confused:

Soldato
Ahhh right, I was going to say all that on one day would be a lot of volume! Though looks if it's split A/B.

Only thing I can think of was an iffy grip on my heavy 5RM workout. Taken it's time to cause problems though. Maybe I slept on it funny. *Touchwood* it's on the mend.

Man of Honour
:cool:

For anyone interested this is the article: http://gubernatrix.co.uk/2010/08/does-lifting-more-always-mean-you-get-stronger/
(it's someone on here's friend's site I think)

I've read about this previously, but I can't remember where. To sum up for the lazy ;) , it's about training at the best % of 1RM weights for optimal strength progression. This is around 70% to 80%. Before anyone gets excited, this probably will not apply to training with these weights for high reps or to failure. This is about sub maximal loads.

Reading it reminded me of a guy I got chatting to in the gym a couple of months ago. I was sharing a bench with him and gave him some help with his form (and also his friend who was just starting out, which was fairly lucky as the "more experienced" guy was begining to get pains in his shoulder...). I tried several things with him to help him get things firing properly, including dropping the weight down considerably. I think he was doing 90kg for 3-4, and I dropped him down to 60 or 70kg. He said that he'd been stuck at just under 100kg for a while now, so I suggested that he reduce the weights and gradually ramp them up over the next few weeks using sensible rep ranges and making sure his form was spot on. Of course, he decided that he would just keep hammering away at 90kg.

Not to say the it's the only, or even the best, way to gain strength, but 5x5 type training with progressive sub maximal loads is fanstastic. My powerlifting routine works similarly, with the majority of the strength being built around the 6x5, 6x6, 5x5, and 4x4 sessions.

Benny, whether you do 5x5 or 5x3 will be mostly dependant on how much you're doing on the day. The higher volume obviously suits A/B day splits with fewer exercises per day. To make things more complicated, you *could* do a pyramided 5x5, but I wouldn't bother.

Soldato
CT's theory for his 'High Performance' training is to use the 'maximum training weight' so your 3rm and what you then do is warm up or 'neural ramp' upto say for example 100KG over 5 sets.

90KG x 3
92.5KG x 3
95Kg x 3
97.5KG x 3
100KG x 3

Then 'wave load', so drop down a little and work your way back up and then repeat.

95KG x 3
97.5KG x 3
100KG x 3

The whole time really accelrating the weight. This way you get around 12-15 decent reps at/around/slightly under your 3rm as opposed to just 3/6 before you hit failure with standard training. It's an interesting read was on the homepage of T-nation.

ta for the tip on the 5's.

Soldato
Hey Nightmare, how's it going bud?

I beat my deadlift by two.....wenty KG.

1st attempt: 195KG - PB
2nd attempt: 200KG - PB
3rd attempt: 210KG albeit funny form - PB

Oh it was my week off and I went for Squats 140KG for reps PB (which I beat) on Tues!

*ahem* :D

Last edited:
Associate
When I saw the post I was like meh, I can do the same weight.
Then I noticed you are 28 kg lighter than me.:o

That's some impressive deadlifting at 3xBW mate, hats off to you.:cool:

Associate
raging tbh, gonna have a moan. Fkn gyms here suck. The first mainstream nuuyuu shut down when I was about to join, yeah mainstream but decent stuff and only 20 quid a month. So then xcite I ask how much to get in and they say I have to pay 25 quid for an induction for some skinny goon to show me around and how to use stuff, then a tenner a time ontop of that haha no danger. Then went to the high school gym, very good gym but tbh sucks because it's never open, shuts all over school holidays, then when you do train there its sporadic open and closing for lunch etc and then all the school kids using gym after school is annoying, shame as it's good equipment.

My bodybuilding gym I go to sucks tbh as it's freezing cold, dark and dingy and heated by a GAS heater thing can't mind what they are called but you get dizzy on the fumes. So then im left with one gym thats about 12 or so miles away and 8 pound to get in, amazing gym but that shuts early cause of xmas period. So because of all this crap haven't trained in at least 2 weeks. Thinking might be a best idea to build my own gym tbh.

Associate
Dipping belt for Xmas = no more arsing around trying to hold DBs between my feet!

Neck still not 100% so didn't push too hard:

10 X BW
8 X BW+10kg
6X BW+20kg
5X BW+25kg
5 X BW+25kg
10 X BW

I reckon 40kg for reps is do-able by April. :)

Caporegime
raging tbh, gonna have a moan. Fkn gyms here suck. The first mainstream nuuyuu shut down when I was about to join, yeah mainstream but decent stuff and only 20 quid a month. So then xcite I ask how much to get in and they say I have to pay 25 quid for an induction for some skinny goon to show me around and how to use stuff, then a tenner a time ontop of that haha no danger. Then went to the high school gym, very good gym but tbh sucks because it's never open, shuts all over school holidays, then when you do train there its sporadic open and closing for lunch etc and then all the school kids using gym after school is annoying, shame as it's good equipment.

My bodybuilding gym I go to sucks tbh as it's freezing cold, dark and dingy and heated by a GAS heater thing can't mind what they are called but you get dizzy on the fumes. So then im left with one gym thats about 12 or so miles away and 8 pound to get in, amazing gym but that shuts early cause of xmas period. So because of all this crap haven't trained in at least 2 weeks. Thinking might be a best idea to build my own gym tbh.

building your own home gym aint easy, ive had to save up a lot of money, time and time again.

next on my list is horse stall mats, just under £30 a pop excluding shipping, minimum order of 4, and shipping is expensive due to the weight involved.

on top of that if you do by second hand equipment, its likely it will need touched up or repainted. just found out i should have ordered a gloss coat to go on top of my primer and paint, roughly £7 a can for 1 of them, you need primer, paint and top coat and usually more than 1, it can all add up.

then you have the same problem as you do in your hardcore gym, heating. mine is in my garage, no double glazing and no insulation and a huge garage door which isnt exactly airtight. so its freezing and it doesnt matter if you put a bonfire in there, without it being properly insulated, all the heat will be lost. so its okay for around 9 months of the year, but during winter it gets extremely tough and sometimes unbearable.

if you have a decent income and can save a few hundred a month then a home gym is an option to consider, if you dont then its best just to stick to a gym, people think they save money with home gym's it's not until you have used the stuff for 5-10 years til you breakeven.

Back
Top Bottom