*** The 2011 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Not me! Can't stand the stuff.

I bought a slow cooker last weekend and oh my, I can't get enough of beef stew. Huge bowl full with carrots, onion, spinach, peppers, parsnips etc. then a big bowl of brocolli and green beans on the side. Oh and 300-400g of beef, which just falls apart in your mouth.

+1 although i do mine in a normal pan on the hob because im cheap :p

Associate
Separate male and female swimming and sauna facilities.

(I'm used to saunas where you wear swimming attire not go nude!)

That's not the case at the virgin active derby one full sized pool for adults male and female, separate pool designed for kids, and seperate room with a large spa pool sauna, steam room jacuzzi sunbeds etc, David Lloyd is better though and has as you say the better rated 'life fitness' cardio and more weights etc, also isn't as busy but at around 40% higher price in my experience.

Associate
What I love is you're fixed to a contract **** or bust, so they will struggle to get rid of me if I load a machine with to much weight (in their opinion). :D

What prices and options were you given? I heard they do a 12 month pay in advance, or was it only the 12 month contract (with 3 months cancelation they give,) or 3 month option. I moved from derby a year or so ago.

Soldato
What prices and options were you given? I heard they do a 12 month pay in advance, or was it only the 12 month contract (with 3 months cancellation they give,) or 3 month option. I moved from derby a year or so ago.
£120 a month (three months cancellation) couples off peak out before 5pm. :o Still though £200,000 re-vamp on the weights area that was the dogs gerbils to begin with anyway. :eek:

Nice night on the pads with 1200 Punch's, 200 kicks, 300 knee's and I'm ****ed.

Goodnight much love.

Last edited:
Soldato
+1 although i do mine in a normal pan on the hob because im cheap :p

I was doing that before but the taste is just on another level now. Tesco do a slow cooker for £9 (no excuse!), the one I got was £21 reduced from £40 something from Argos, made 6 huge portions in it and lasted me all week. I think I had it cooking in there for about 16 hours, never been impressed by my own cooking until now.

Soldato
after asking on the phone yesterday if the weights area would be open, and being told "tomorrow, definitely" i get there and it's closed.

Fitness First Cribbs Causeway, have a word with yourselves.

Associate
Had a quite bad cold for a week now, couldn't get out of bed for the first part of the week so I've missed a week of the gym and a week and a half of deadlifting :( Was feeling not bad yesterday so decided to go in and do a session. Just caught my friend on his way out the door when I was just about to start my normal deadlifting routine so got him to take a few videos of me trying for 150kg I sadly only got up to 140kg (but didn't get the full hyper extension :( ) After that I only managed a half session as I was starting to feel really Ill again. Feeling terrible now for it tho :(

Heres the video of those you didn't believe me feel free to give me all the critsim you want =P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2f1Zx5U_KA&feature=youtu.be

Bloody left hand always gives in :'( I blame my strength loss on the cold! D:

If you want the video of me doing 130kg just ask and I'll upload it :)

EDIT: This is without belt,straps,chalk A few weeks agow I used a belt at 145 Will be picking up some chalk in the new year and maybe some straps :D

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Post the other one up too.

Some initial problems:
- it's a couple of inches off the floor (which makes it easier) because of those pads. Get rid of them
- lose the gloves, they are gay and don't help grip
- it looks like you're totally "backing" it up, hence the problem with locking it out ("hyper extension" is not something you want), but a video from the side could disprove this
- stance looks a little too wide, but that's mostly a personal thing

I don't doubt you got 145kg up, but I bet it wasn't pretty :)

edit: hope that doesn't sound harsh, you're clearly strong!

Last edited:
Associate
Post the other one up too.

Some initial problems:
- it's a couple of inches off the floor (which makes it easier) because of those pads. Get rid of them
- lose the gloves, they are gay and don't help grip
- it looks like you're totally "backing" it up, hence the problem with locking it out ("hyper extension" is not something you want), but a video from the side could disprove this
- stance looks a little too wide, but that's mostly a personal thing

I don't doubt you got 145kg up, but I bet it wasn't pretty :)

edit: hope that doesn't sound harsh, you're clearly strong!

Doesn't sound harsh at all really its what I need to improve! :D

The pads are only 1-2cm thick when doubbled like that, only do it to protect the floor a bit as i've seen most people doing that.

I use the gloves through out my session as its quite long so I start to get blisters after the second session :(

Doesn't feel like im using a lot of my back. I don't know if you can see it but as I go to lift I drop my ass down a bit to try and activate my glutes a little more.

Bad vidieo I know but thanks for the advice I'll drop the pads and the gloves and see if I can go a little lower to use less of my back :)

Soldato
I end up just relying on my fingers anyway once i get about 10-20kg from my max because my grip strength isnt quite there.

Manlets definitely have it easy though ;) Not seen many 6'+ guys lift almost 5x bodyweight haha

Last edited:
Permabanned
Can't go running (shoes are woefully unsuitable) which is really frustrating, so contenting myself with some pull ups and pushups.

Watched an army documentary yesterday, and seeing them trudge for a day or two with heavy bergens really shows the direction that I need to be aiming my progress at. No way could I be hiking over mountains for 36hrs with 18kg bergen!

Going to check for some cheap shoes in the sales, convince my parents they love me and get them to buy them (got literally £0.00), and start running over some hills with a backpack on.

Still want to be able to squat though. I tried again today but I just topple over. Muscle on the front of my shins (???) feels really tight. I'll get a video up at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom