*** The 2012 Gym Rats Thread ***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Serious question guys.

The fact that I cant squat and deadlift - (due to basically arthritis in my right knee) how limiting is that going to be to me interms of the pipe dream of transforming my self from an out of shape average joe to something I would be proud of?

---

Side note.

I know where I was going wrong before with my training and that was diet. It was poor.

No where near enough for gains and too much to lose fat.

It will limit you (and for the seventh time, it doesn't have to if using the right technique! ;) ), but there are ways to sort of make up for the loss: big volume leg presses, SLDLs and the like.

Regarding your diet, you need to do some reading; it isn't that difficult, but you need to work out your basic metabolic rate (BMR) for us to really help you.

Suffice to say your diet was pretty average for an average joe: calories derived from cheap carbs. Find ways to cut these out and get the calories from protein and 'good' fats, and you'll be 70% there. :)

How is your regime going, anyway?

Carb back loading, I think.

Yes, it is. :)

GAC

GAC

Soldato
The fact that I cant squat and deadlift - (due to basically arthritis in my right knee) how limiting is that going to be to me interms of the pipe dream of transforming my self from an out of shape average joe to something I would be proud of?

how bad is your right knee and have you been the docs with it and had it scanned ?

i have a dicky right knee with fluid and arthritis and squating has helped it, deadlifts dont effect it one bit though which is odd.

if you havent been the docs with it get in and have it scanned.

Soldato
Ive just had a thought, do you think most hard gainers cant gain cos they cant justify the cost of food? or afford i suppose in many cases. I mean i hate food, im one of those "give me a pill and let me get back to work" people, and spending £20+ per day on food i dont enjoy is annoying, but i have goals. and a job. I wonder if your typical beginner, skinny, 19 or so, not popular with the ladies, student perhaps finding himself in a competitive environment. I mean are they ever going to succeed anyway? Just my thoughts leaking out as always.

This is definitely true by the way.

My first year at Uni, I was living on pasta, cheese and mince. I did a months worth of food for about fourty pounds at one point...

Whether they'll succeed I don't think is relevant to food. They may well have the drive, but they certainly don't have the nutritional knowledge. It's not taught in schools or anything, and very few people will make a food log.

I'm still a student and now probably spending £150 a month on food. That's about twice, if not three times as much as most, and even then I'm getting a relatively conservative amount in. Whey is playing a relatively large role in my diet, (which isn't in that budget, but one scoop, twice a day), and even so I tend to stick to the relatively cheap stuff, chicken thighs rather than breast because of price and various other things as well. I've actually gone through and calculated cost/nutrition on a lot of my main protein sources so as to best minimise costs.

The other thing is, that even some of the more aware sports teams, I doubt the guys are getting their nutrition on the basis, that the teams orientated more in that way, I suspect spend far too much on alcohol on nights out to afford the food... Plus the negative effects of the alcohol itself...

kd

Soldato
Ive got what can only be described as shins splints in my forearm and it bloody hurts! Feels like the muscle has ripped away from the bone. Even picking up a pint hurts, though it won't stop me tonight :D

Anyone else had this?

Soldato
Just had the worst workout of my life I think! Right hamstring spasmed a bit doing squat warmup now it feels completely pulled. Did a beach muscles workout, but had no stability whatsoever benching due do me wobbly legs! Same for rows :(.

Also had to put up with the middle-aged **** duo. They literally do bench EVERY session, they chat **** to each other purposefully loud enough so everyone can hear and today I witnessed them both try a 3-plate bench. I had seen then 'warming up' with 2 plates and It was really a two man event, the spotter getting a great row workout so I HAD to see this!
He actually came over to my rack to borrow to 20kg plates and I said to him "Your going for 140?, I have to see this". Gave him an audience and not even that could give him enough bro power to pretend to make the lift. Bloody awful, it was like a half rep suicide bench above his neck, followed by the spotter shrugging as hard as he could to re-rack. *****. I didn't even say anything after, just smirked re-engaged headphones and went back to the rack.

Will be so glad to be back to 8am workouts where I don't have to witness such ********.

Soldato
Ha, Chris, we have a similar pair at my gym. They very loudly complain about the students not putting stuff back properly, (which to be fair, can be awful sometimes), but then throw weights around, and don't do a particularly good job themselves of keeping things tidy...

My last couple of weeks have been dire. Diet has gone out the window, and I seem to be sleeping hours a day to make up for the poor food and liquid intake. Cannot wait to be back at Uni again where I can get back into a nice routine...

kd

Soldato
Yea, doing preacher curls.
I can't do preacher curls, hurts everything but my bicep!! :(
I get it with all types of two handed curl using a variety of different bars. Only thing that works for me is dumbbell curls :)
I think I'm the same with free weights. Though this year I've focussed on cable curls and not had any trouble. Last week changed a lot of exercises and now I'm suffering.

I think it was the tricep bar curls, basically a two-handed hammer curl. Think I'll be ditching them...

Soldato
I've always had problems with my forearms/wrists with curls, so I basically don't do them :p. Preacher curls are the worst, EZ bar with really strict form is the best for me. Anything else it kind of feels like there's an imaginary cable between my front delt and my wrist, and that's whats doing the work. Not good.

Caporegime
Finally got a gym sesh in, been nearly two weeks! Quite busy too, some heavy sqauts and benching going on. Chalk everywhere :D

Love going to the gym, when only the dedicated go!

Now to ruin todays efforts by getting stupidly drunk.

Caporegime
I shall be doing just that in about half an hour, don't even like new years. But last time I'll see my mate for a good while. Plus its his birthday, so be rude not to :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom