*** The 2013 Gym Rats Thread ***

Man of Honour
Come to my gym and say that... As someone stated previously this is utter crock and I wish people would stop spouting it like its fact. You only have to walk into any decent weight lifting gym to know that its ********.

Depending on what BennyC was suggesting, disproportionate musculature has serious implications for injury and mobility.

For bodybuilders this isn't really much of an issue, simply because all those bunched up, bulky fibres aren't really meant to go through full ROM for things like sprinting, jumping or lifting. For models, this is even less of an issue as their objective is to have audience-appropriate musculature with low body fat. Look at Hugh Jackman: guy has no legs: so what? He's not actually going to do anything, other than look big in a vest. And then there are the discussions over film stars, models, etc. and their use of steroids to change size so quickly...

For an athlete, being unbalanced is a serious problem because of the crazy biomechanics that can occur when over-developed, out-of-kilter muscles pull against non-existent synergists. Knee, shoulder and back problems are all quite happy to manifest at these points. Sprinting requires a lot of flexibility to go with those big leg muscles. And for those leg muscles to get any decent toque requires (sigh) a stable base...

Which is why most athletic training involves sport-specific as well as complementary (assistance) exercises.

Soldato
Come to my gym and say that... As someone stated previously this is utter crock and I wish people would stop spouting it like its fact. You only have to walk into any decent weight lifting gym to know that its ********.

Jimmies rustled much?

Perhaps you have my point misconstrued, with plenty of hard work & neglect the body will grow out of balance...erghh :rolleyes: okay, whatever you say.

Soldato
Based on what I've seen of your squatting, it shouldn't take long, either...

*BOOM!* ;) :D

75bbfc19_HXZ25aE_zpsb5945c29.gif

Soldato
I just put some videos of my dead lifts in the form thread. Would really appreciate feedback, I haven't taken a video since the summer when my form was actually OK but now it looks awful again.

Soldato
Started my new routine today, going to stick to this for a bulk:
5wxzzk.png

Now I just need some help with my diet...

Breakfast: 4 weetabix (280kcal) + 2 large eggs sandwich (380kcal)

Lunch: Snack/sandwich(whats available if I'm out etc, about 2-300kcal) + protein shake (726kcal - using FF milk)

Tea-time: meal - 2 chicken breasts, chips/rice/carbs, vegetables. About 700kcal.

Later on: 100g Cashews - 600kcal.

I may even eat more - I most probably will, this is just what I will have as a minimum throughout the day. I put that at about 3000kcal a day. Is it worth having an extra shake if I'm working out that day? I should be good to go, right?

Man of Honour
A lot of bread in there... How about ditching the sandwich at breakfast and swapping it for bacon (or, if you're Jewish or Muslim, more eggs)?

Get something decent for lunch, not ANOTHER sandwich.

And no deadlifts?

And how much chest? If you don't have much training history, hitting that kind of chest volume in one session will completely kill any overhead work you attempt. :eek:

And shrugs? Really? :o

Soldato
I used to do a very similar regime but the reality is you can drop most of the stuff and tailor your training predominantly around the squat, bench press and deadlifts. I still can't deadlift well, in fact my technique is atrocious, but in all other areas I have made massive progress by dropping things like shrugs and lat raises and replacing them with more demanding exercises such as chins and wide-grip pull ups.

Soldato
Have you considered porridge instead of weetabix?

Yeah I'm only eating that until I've got no more, then I'll get some oats/porridge for the mornings instead.

A lot of bread in there... How about ditching the sandwich at breakfast and swapping it for bacon (or, if you're Jewish or Muslim, more eggs)?

Get something decent for lunch, not ANOTHER sandwich.

And no deadlifts?

And how much chest? If you don't have much training history, hitting that kind of chest volume in one session will completely kill any overhead work you attempt. :eek:

And shrugs? Really? :o

I'll normally have lunch when I'm out of the house, in the center of Newcastle. I guess I could cook up some chicken pasta for through the week. I'll ditch the egg sandwich for something else as well too.

I used to do a very similar regime but the reality is you can drop most of the stuff and tailor your training predominantly around the squat, bench press and deadlifts. I still can't deadlift well, in fact my technique is atrocious, but in all other areas I have made massive progress by dropping things like shrugs and lat raises and replacing them with more demanding exercises such as chins and wide-grip pull ups.

I'll add deadlifts into my day and I've removed some things too, ended up with this:

Push
  • Flat DB bench – 3x5
  • Incline DB bench – 3x5
  • Seated OHP – 3x5
  • Tricep pushdown – 3x10
  • Tricep overhead – 3x10

Legs - stayed the same

Pull
  • Deadlift – 3x5
  • DB rows – 3x5
  • Rear delt fly – 3x10
  • Wide grip pullups – 3x8
  • Chinups – 3x8
  • Ezbar – 3x10

I think this is near enough what mrthingyx recommended a while ago. I'll get cracking and keep a log of my progress :)

Associate
I'm giving up on normal deadlifts for the foreseeable future while I'm at DW gym. The shape of the plates (hexagons I think?) just makes it a nightmare, you have to constantly re-adjust your position or the bar.

Back
Top Bottom