***The 2020 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
Shoulders were last night for me with some abs thrown in too.

WeightxReps

OHP Barbell - 20x10, 30x8, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 70x3, 80x2, 80x1, 80x1, 77.5x2, 77.5x1, 70x4

Barbell front raise - 30x5, 35x5, 35x5, 35x5

Landmine lateral raise - (weight on bar, no idea what the weight actually amounts to) 5x5, 11.25x5, 11.25x5, 11.25x5, 11.25x5, 11.25x5

Landmine face pull - (again, weight on bar) 17.5x5, 17.5x5, 17.5x5, 17.5x5, 17.5x5 (far too light, but adding each week)

Landmine rear fly - (again, who knows) 10x5, 12.5x5, 12.5x5, 12.5x5 (balance is really tricky here, may use my bench to stabalise as the weight goes up)

Landmine oblique twist - (again, yup) 15x10, 15x10 (ouch!)

Rather sore by the end.

I must say I'm really enjoying my mid afternoon greek yoghurt and crunchy nut granola snack.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
On the OHP flex, I got my technical 1RM (i.e. not turning it into a standing incline press) to less than 10kg off bodyweight... then covid happened, I put on a few kg, and now it's more than 10kg off. Nearly back to where I was strength-wise though, so hopefully after a pre-xmas diet I might be able to nudge closer to that holy grail of a BW strict press maintaining lifts as my weight goes down.

Rep work going well since I came back though. I had a tendency before to hold my breathe which doesn't really work for sets of 6-8 (nearly fainted once or twice lol) as the exhales would mess my bracing so I tried to avoid doing them :rolleyes: but I've correct that enough that it's less of a problem, because I had the strength to keep going but I'd lose my positioning and have to stop the set prematurely. Quads still start to tighten uncomfortably when it gets intense though!

Man of Honour
I generally breathe between reps more than I used to. 3-5 reps can be doable while holding your breath, I certainly wouldn’t go for anymore. It depends how long each rep takes , some heavier sets can be a bit more of a grind.

Interestingly my shoulder strength has been one of the quickest to return. In the past I’ve sometimes had months where I just go backwards.

Man of Honour
Finally moved up to 32.5kg 5x5 on OHP. :)

Weigh 60kg~ but really want to get to the "magic goal" of having 10kg plates each side. Slow and steady...

That's pretty impressive - half your bodyweight is a massive hurdle to achieve. I've been doing lots of shoulder rehab because of old rugby injuries, and my OHP has improved significantly.

My aim is to do strict rep at my bodyweight.... I've got a bit to go - but it's moving the right way - as you say, slow and steady!

Consigliere
That's pretty impressive - half your bodyweight is a massive hurdle to achieve. I've been doing lots of shoulder rehab because of old rugby injuries, and my OHP has improved significantly.

My aim is to do strict rep at my bodyweight.... I've got a bit to go - but it's moving the right way - as you say, slow and steady!

High praise coming from you so thank you. :)

Soldato
OP
My next milestone is 60kg, to see a wheel a side would make me feel more manly. Currently back to 41kg for sets of 6-8 and a best single of 55kg @ 68.2kg average bw which is almost where I was before lockdown. Am almost certain I'll hit that milestone this year, then hopefully a quick diet and another few months and I'll get that mythical 1 x bw press. Doing seated high incline (one down from the most vertical position on the bench) DB press as my other vertical push and that seems to be helping with the OHP sticking point.

And obviously using dem 0.5kg plates for the in-between progressions in load,as 1-1.5kg jumps are far more manageable than 2.5kg a time (I do the same for all upper body free-weight movements bar weighted dips/pull-ups, as you can just use the 1.25kg plates individually).

Soldato
I press overhead for some lighter volume work, not sure what I can do anymore (certainly not bodyweight :p ) may give it a go at the weekend after my next bench session.

Pause squats tonight, getting closer to PB territory on these which is hopefully a good sign for my main lift :D

B&W

B&W

Soldato
95KG squats today, weren't too difficult tbh. I want to hit 100KG by end of the month.

Deadlifting at the start of the session took some wind out of me, so had to rest a bit more in between sets in the squats felt very winded.

Man of Honour
I press overhead for some lighter volume work, not sure what I can do anymore (certainly not bodyweight :p ) may give it a go at the weekend after my next bench session.

Pause squats tonight, getting closer to PB territory on these which is hopefully a good sign for my main lift :D

What total are you aiming for? 700kg+?

Soldato
My bench is in the toilet :D it's at about 50% strength at the minute, the usual assortment of problems from lowbar. It is rapidly improving as I've learned some new things to improve my flexibility in that area and just not annoy it in the first place.

Soldato
Its certainly a challenging lift.

I remember when I started lifting (Just over a year ago now I think roughly?) it was the lift that made me realize just how hard certain lifts are to progress!

You dont see many doing strict OHP in my gym, and if you see anyone doing any form of OHP at all its a mixed bag of bad form, low weight, or push press (I think thats right? with leg bounce).

Man of Honour
I miss the days when my OHP was pretty much bang on BW, not bad for a guy who was told he'd never really lift overhead again.
These days it's about half BW because I'm fatter and well out of practise.

@Freefaller have you been leaving Gordan Ramsey reviews on trip advisor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom