***The 2021 Gym Rats Thread*** ᕦ( ͠°◞ °)ᕥ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I went as soon as they were back open - given my age, health status, living situation, training alone and the virtually nil rate of transmissions in gyms according to the data that was collected last year it would have been daft not to.

B&W

B&W

Soldato
Having problems sleeping since Sunday am barely getting 5-6 hours sleep a night. I am waking up at 5-6AM to go for a leak and come back to bed then I can't sleep.

I think the amount of light could be the factor, I don't know. :(

Have ordered an eye mask and will try to sleep earlier tonight.

I haven't changed anything in my behaviour so I don't know what's happening.

Soldato
B&M have them quite often and they are about that price.

Been back a few weeks and I'm struggling a bit to be honest. I've tried to go for a Back/Chest, Legs/Shoulders 6 day split but with rugby training 2 days a week as well but I don't think I'm recovering enough in those two days, legs especially. Not sure to whether persevere for a another week or two or just swap to PPL till I get a bit more used to it all?

Mobster
Soldato
I'm working out at home and have started a routine with dumbbells (it's all I have at the moment, will either join a gym or get some barbells in time).

I'm doing a floor press with dumbbells and I am finding my grip is giving out even with quite light weights (4KG - so nothing really), basically my wrists ache. Is this a grip strength issue and what should I do about it? Will it go away with time, if I keep progressing as I do on my other lifts? I don't have this issue with any other lift.

Soldato
I'm working out at home and have started a routine with dumbbells (it's all I have at the moment, will either join a gym or get some barbells in time).

I'm doing a floor press with dumbbells and I am finding my grip is giving out even with quite light weights (4KG - so nothing really), basically my wrists ache. Is this a grip strength issue and what should I do about it? Will it go away with time, if I keep progressing as I do on my other lifts? I don't have this issue with any other lift.

Maybe you’re gripping them too high in the hand which is causing your wrists to flex back (which puts more stress on the joint). You want the wrist stacked over the elbow, which is maintained by gripping the bar/DB like this:

6.png

Man of Honour
Definitely getting tougher now it’s 30C in my gym, but I kind of like it, my joints feel better at this temperature even if I don’t.

Still progressing and should be happy by the end of the year if I can keep going. I’ve also shot passed my secret gym nemesis :p

So much in the tank with squats, but I’m determined to stick to my slow and steady approach that keeps me pushing forward.

OHP is up to 87kg which has tracked consistently just behind my bw, currently around 91kg. I have a lot more lower mass these days, so equalling bw would be tough with my current approach. Would love to hit 95kg bw by the end of the year - it’s not increasing quite as steeply as it was, but it’s moving again. I just struggle to eat enough this time of year.

Last edited:
Soldato
Been back since re-opening also, after the entire covid break off, and around 12 months of cycling only before covid hit, so I lost a lot of strength.

A push/pull routine is working well, then hitting legs on multiple days (but not destroying them)

I've crept back up to a 45kg dumbell incline press, 35kg dumbell overhead press, 165kg deadlift and 140kg squat. My end goal is to get my deadlift to 200kg, my 1RM previously was 185kg. Did the 165kg yesterday and there was definitely more in the tank.

In a calorie surplus currently, constantly eating (but nutritional food not junk) and I've just hit the 13st mark, think I will keep going until about 13.5 stone then maintenance.

Loving being back though, but my local Simply is rammed, 6am and its packed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom