THE 50K CHALLENGE: NEW MUSTANG ON THE WAY, BUT WOULD 50K BE BETTER SPENT ON ANOTHER MARQUE?

Soldato
Sound might be an issue (as I there is none) but what about a Tesla model S, can get a used P85 for under 50k, less than 30k mileage and it will out perform pretty much everything else you've had, 0-60 under 2.5 seconds and free super charging so limitless mileage for free :)

Soldato
It's weird to me how a petrol head such as Gibbo, who has driven many great cars in this part of the market, needs to start a thread to ask for suggestions? Surely he should be the one giving suggestions to others?

Don
Just get the Mustang. There's nothing in this price bracket that's as interesting and with similar road presence or sense of occasion. M-Cars, AMGs, RSs, etc. - great though they are - are just fast rep-mobiles.

A45 AMG?

Personally my plan is to buy similar in 4-5 years, as it is today I am split between the TT RS and the M2, will be buying one of them.
I love the more understated looks of the TT (compare to base model) M2 has better practicality
A45 AMG also a contender I guess, I do like the rarity, its a different combination to the other 2.

Terrible decision to have to make Gibbo, but from how you have tended the the current stang, I would say you probably have another stang in you yet ;)

Soldato
Sound might be an issue (as I there is none) but what about a Tesla model S, can get a used P85 for under 50k, less than 30k mileage and it will out perform pretty much everything else you've had, 0-60 under 2.5 seconds and free super charging so limitless mileage for free :)

It's very fast in a straight line, but isn't so great on the bendy parts. Probably due to the weight of it. Also it does overheat quite quickly (and go in to reduced power mode) if you keep booting it. So the fun is quite limited.

Depends what you want to do with it I suppose :)

Last edited:

hel

hel

Associate
I think I remember you (Gibbo) not liking the C63 507 years back (there is a post somewhere you made) but maybe worth taking another look at it again, even for a quick spin.
I have one and it's lovely! Engine note is getting better and better, however I must admit, after a year of track days I'm now trying to get into a GT4. The gearbox is not as bad as many people thick and it does suits the car. I had a dealer take my car home the other day and he noticed straight away that the gearbox was better than most C63 ppp... so perhaps sharper software (i.e. C63 BS) could be in the 507...

I look at the newer cars but the 6.3l engine note is something else. I also prefer the styling and just the nature of the beast. The (4.0 TT) sound dead on the track, even a AMG GTS sounded quiet.

The 507 residuals seem to be fairing well against the other C63s (including the new ones) and also the late w204 models are bulletproof (touch wood)

Soldato
I'd say a Tesla model S personally.

Is there any reason you're getting rid of your current mustang, will the new one really be substantially better than your current one given all the things you've done to it?

Soldato
m2 is probably where my money would go :)

just seems to tick many boxes -;

power
styling
not huge
good kit
new/barely ran in
handling etc

seems to tick all the boxes for me. Can be had under 50k

Soldato
The M2 (especially manual) is one of the few cars destined to retain virtually all of it's value and become a true classic. The last of the great M cars, with a couple of similar offerings from Porsche.

In 10 years time, an M2 will seem like an amazing prospect to those wanting to enjoy the thrill of such cars, and those that can will pay anything to do so.

Soldato
A lot of the "purist" type of driver's cars will be like that in 10+ years. In fact it's already happening and not only to mega expensive stuff.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The M2 (especially manual) is one of the few cars destined to retain virtually all of it's value and become a true classic. The last of the great M cars, with a couple of similar offerings from Porsche.

In 10 years time, an M2 will seem like an amazing prospect to those wanting to enjoy the thrill of such cars, and those that can will pay anything to do so.

The thing is his M3 is better in all ways apart from maybe interior and fuel economy. The M2 is a modern day E46 M3 with the screaming six cylinder engine replaced with a turbo lump.

Soldato
The thing is his M3 is better in all ways apart from maybe interior and fuel economy. The M2 is a modern day E46 M3 with the screaming six cylinder engine replaced with a turbo lump.

Replaced with a screaming 6 cylinder turbo lump. I think you're the only person who says "better in all ways". Most seem to say, on par, if not better

Back
Top Bottom