THE 50K CHALLENGE: NEW MUSTANG ON THE WAY, BUT WOULD 50K BE BETTER SPENT ON ANOTHER MARQUE?

Permabanned
I think I remember you (Gibbo) not liking the C63 507 years back (there is a post somewhere you made) but maybe worth taking another look at it again, even for a quick spin.
I have one and it's lovely! Engine note is getting better and better, however I must admit, after a year of track days I'm now trying to get into a GT4. The gearbox is not as bad as many people thick and it does suits the car. I had a dealer take my car home the other day and he noticed straight away that the gearbox was better than most C63 ppp... so perhaps sharper software (i.e. C63 BS) could be in the 507...

I look at the newer cars but the 6.3l engine note is something else. I also prefer the styling and just the nature of the beast. The (4.0 TT) sound dead on the track, even a AMG GTS sounded quiet.

The 507 residuals seem to be fairing well against the other C63s (including the new ones) and also the late w204 models are bulletproof (touch wood)

The C63 4.0TT with the sports exhaust on the S model is awesome... it barks like a dog at low blips... addictive noise.

hel

hel

Associate
When I was 'chasing' a w205 C63s, I couldn't hear him but he could hear me... once the 6.3 has got some heat in it, it sounds insane... but sadly you won't hear that on the road very much.

I agree the low level rev barks are nice from the w205 but when you start pushing on more, there isn't much there (compared tot he w204).

OcUK Staff
OP
Sound might be an issue (as I there is none) but what about a Tesla model S, can get a used P85 for under 50k, less than 30k mileage and it will out perform pretty much everything else you've had, 0-60 under 2.5 seconds and free super charging so limitless mileage for free :)

I appreciate their performance but sound is very important to me and I do not like the styling and I am old fashioned, battery powered cars do not interest me, don't mind the big powerful hybrids though like Porsche 918 Spyder but definitely cannot afford that

OcUK Staff
OP
It's weird to me how a petrol head such as Gibbo, who has driven many great cars in this part of the market, needs to start a thread to ask for suggestions? Surely he should be the one giving suggestions to others?

If people ask I can share my input, just like I am asking people to share theres now, I've not driven every car far from it and as I probably have 5-6 months to wait I can go test drive some of the competitors offerings. :)

Permabanned
When I was 'chasing' a w205 C63s, I couldn't hear him but he could hear me... once the 6.3 has got some heat in it, it sounds insane... but sadly you won't hear that on the road very much.

I agree the low level rev barks are nice from the w205 but when you start pushing on more, there isn't much there (compared tot he w204).

There's a very big difference between the S and non-S exhaust... flaps that open really.

I got to experience both but I had the S for ~3 months. The S was amazing with the flaps open (in sport mode)... the non-S I didn't spend as long with, but I can completely understand what you're saying - it sounded really boring - even when pressing on (non-S).

The low-rev blips, WoT upshifts at about 2.5-3k revs and downshifts under harder braking are especially addictive. One of the best noises of any car I've been in... I'd even say it competes with the high RPM sing of the Porka flat-6.

First Merc I've ever liked.

I drove the 6.2l on track and didn't like it... the low rev limit didn't match the gearing and the engine was really lazy to rev even though it had a lot of torque it just wasn't as exhilarating as the newer engine which revs better than the NA car... one of the few cars that has done turboing well.

OcUK Staff
OP
Replaced with a screaming 6 cylinder turbo lump. I think you're the only person who says "better in all ways". Most seem to say, on par, if not better

Well M2 would definetely be far more up market interior wise to my E46 M3 as mine has no interior. :D

I think compared to my M3, the M2 will be nicer to drive daily, more modern, DCT is better than SMG etc, but as a fun drive and a wow factor experience for me the M3, my particular M3 is just on another level, its got 370HP, shorter ratio final drive, only about 1300kg, its great fun and remarkably comfy, I'd happily use it daily, of course though in a daily car there is better but its not the stripped out track car that is tiring and annoying to drive on road like some might think.

M2 CS however, interest me a lot and M2 looks wise I really like them, like a bulldog looking for a fight. :D

OcUK Staff
OP

As I've got older I've come to love the C63 AMG 6.3l even more, yes in my previous drives it was not quite as precise or hardcore as I wanted, but now my taste have changed, problem is however believe it or not the Mustang is probably the sharper and better handling car and engines/gearbox performance wise I suspect very similar.

Permabanned
As I've got older I've come to love the C63 AMG 6.3l even more, yes in my previous drives it was not quite as precise or hardcore as I wanted, but now my taste have changed, problem is however believe it or not the Mustang is probably the sharper and better handling car and engines/gearbox performance wise I suspect very similar.

6.2l C63 < Mustang 5.0 < 4.0TT C63S

The newest C63S has better handling and driving dynamics than the Mustang.

OcUK Staff
OP
I found the M2 underpowered... prefer the M4 Comp Pack to it - much better low and mid range.

When I was driving the M2... I kept thinking "is that it?" - my 987.2 3.4l Boxster felt faster and more enjoyable.

Can agree on this for sure, if I got an M2 it would be upgraded to as close as 500HP as I could get it, at which point probably be a royal pain to put the power down due to the turbo just coming on song and spinning the tyres. Problem with high power tuned turbo's that are RWD, not great at putting power down.

M4 I drove was much quicker for sure, but man it was harsh and it really struggled to get power down, admittedly it was on Pzero's and it was not a competition pack car and one of the very first ones, I am aware later models have revised the suspension to be somewhat more compliant, something I found the M4 was really lacking.

However when I drove the M4's at Palmersport I found them boring and not exciting at all, my E46 M3 was way more fun and sharper, ah it is hard. Even though the E92 M3 is slower, at least the V8 sound track and epic blips on downshifts were highly entertaining and it would just rev and rev, the M4 was not very happy really beyond 6000rpm and going beyond 6500rpm seemed pointless, any car I feel the need to upshift early is not good.

OcUK Staff
OP
6.2l C63 < Mustang 5.0 < 4.0TT C63S

The newest C63S has better handling and driving dynamics than the Mustang.

I've not driven the latest 4.0 TT one, only the 6.3 regular and 507 edition and on the handling front, superior to a stock Mustang for sure, superior to my last Mustang, nope similar but Mustang had much better front end, 2018 who knows but I never found the 6.3l anything special, just a good all rounder with an amazing engine.

I think I will give the 4.0TT a go though, how much can one get one for now in Saloon as I am not much for the Coupe C63's I feel they look a bit odd, but I am referring to 6.3l ones so maybe the styling is now improved.

Permabanned
Can agree on this for sure, if I got an M2 it would be upgraded to as close as 500HP as I could get it, at which point probably be a royal pain to put the power down due to the turbo just coming on song and spinning the tyres. Problem with high power tuned turbo's that are RWD, not great at putting power down.

M4 I drove was much quicker for sure, but man it was harsh and it really struggled to get power down, admittedly it was on Pzero's and it was not a competition pack car and one of the very first ones, I am aware later models have revised the suspension to be somewhat more compliant, something I found the M4 was really lacking.

However when I drove the M4's at Palmersport I found them boring and not exciting at all, my E46 M3 was way more fun and sharper, ah it is hard. Even though the E92 M3 is slower, at least the V8 sound track and epic blips on downshifts were highly entertaining and it would just rev and rev, the M4 was not very happy really beyond 6000rpm and going beyond 6500rpm seemed pointless, any car I feel the need to upshift early is not good.

Yeah - first time I was behind the wheel of an M4 was the Palmerspot ones and I found them boring too... you might remember how much I enjoyed the E92 M3s haha.

The standard M4 feels like a slightly higher powered 435i... really not special.

The competition packs changes the game... it's what it should have been to begin with and I'm surprised it's still an option and not the base model. Hated standard M4... fell in love with the competition pack.

For technical finesse it's the winner... but the newer C63S is surprisingly close and it has the bonus of that engine.

Permabanned
I've not driven the latest 4.0 TT one, only the 6.3 regular and 507 edition and on the handling front, superior to a stock Mustang for sure, superior to my last Mustang, nope similar but Mustang had much better front end, 2018 who knows but I never found the 6.3l anything special, just a good all rounder with an amazing engine.

I think I will give the 4.0TT a go though, how much can one get one for now in Saloon as I am not much for the Coupe C63's I feel they look a bit odd, but I am referring to 6.3l ones so maybe the styling is now improved.

The saloon is nice, that's the one I had.

I actually quite like the styling of the new coupes - they look even better in the flesh than in pictures. But yes, I highly recommend driving one... I like small and light things with great handling and I didn't think I would like the merc after driving the 6.2l bimble mobile... but the new one is really something special at its price point - a viable M4 CP contender.

amg_c63_coupe_2 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

pdh_5010 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

amg_c63_coupe_8 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

34514281316_85b284c087_k by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

15c_1402_053 by CosmicLogos, on Flickr

Caporegime
Brand new supra being released next year. It will likely go up in value with demand being stupidly high.

You will also likely have tons of mods pop up on the market.

Supra is the modding scenes wet dream and the new one won't be great out the showroom but after mods you could easily see it being the best car for the money. It won't lose you much either if it's well looked after over time.

Man of Honour
However when I drove the M4's at Palmersport I found them boring and not exciting at all

You drove a 400bhp car around a circuit and found that to be 'not exciting at all'?

Really?!

I find waiting for a bus or catching an episode of EastEnders as 'not exciting at all' but frankly any car in that environment would be at least slightly exciting.

Soldato
Come on Gibbo, we all know you'll get the Ford Mustang and this thread is merely a way of justifying spending 50k on one once you've tried everything else in that price range and dismissed it. ;)

Soldato
You drove a 400bhp car around a circuit and found that to be 'not exciting at all'?

Really?!

I find waiting for a bus or catching an episode of EastEnders as 'not exciting at all' but frankly any car in that environment would be at least slightly exciting.
well I guess if you compare it to waiting for a bus then it was a great experience if you compare it to a race prepped e46 m3 then I can see what he means.

Caporegime

Really?!

Tracks make a lot of cars feel slow

Back
Top Bottom