THE 50K CHALLENGE: NEW MUSTANG ON THE WAY, BUT WOULD 50K BE BETTER SPENT ON ANOTHER MARQUE?

Man of Honour
Tracks make a lot of cars feel slow

I'm sure they do.

Surely though you could derive a slightly more than no excitement even taking a normally aspirated diesel Peugeot around one.

Saying an M4 offered no excitement at all seems like hyperbole.

Caporegime
  • I'm sure they do.

Surely though you could derive a slightly more than no excitement even taking a normally aspirated diesel Peugeot around one.

It’s crinkleshoes. Next year I think he’s signed up for an F1 team

Caporegime
What about a BMW 1M coupe? A classic and will actually appreciate in value most likely if the mileage is kept reasonable and it's looked after. Prices are on the up.

Sgarrista
Commissario
not for a great condition R35. Crap models are £35k now, decent models are £45k-£50k

Only leaves like £10k to mod.

Id rather take a well known 09/10 plate for 35k dump 10k into a forged engine and 5k for the ancillaries and be at 1000hp than buy something for 45-50k and be sat at stock :D All that extra 10k on a new model year is buying you is a crap sat nav and a slightly facelifted body style, the engine, gearbox, transition etc are the same.

Associate
Hi there

Pretty much as the thread title, my last Mustang was somewhat of a bargain at 35k with all options, this new model is going to cost me just shy of 50k. Admittedly I won't feel the need to spend anywhere near as much as I did last time as the 2018 model is better out the box.

This thread is to see what my other options could be for around 50k, lets say 40-60k for arguments sake, absolutely no higher than 60k as intention is to pay cash.

The criteria

• Brand new or dealer supplied with as new warranty, so a 3yr old Porsche with OPC warranty would be fine
  • 400 plus horsepower, ideally closer to 500 and more is fine!
  • RWD or AWD is fine, no FWD!
  • Automatic, NO MANUALS!
  • A nice car to use daily, so no Lotus Exige or Caterham
  • Sound amazing! V8 or V10 ideally, but a six that sounds good is OK
  • Under 30,000 miles and less than 30 months old if not new and supplied with warranty

I am making this thread in case their is a car I've not consider, though the lure of the Mustang is big, those killer looks, rarity and gorgeous sounding V8 all in a brand new motor for 50k make it attractive. But I am aware and feel the 2018 will lose 10k in first year, not something I am smiling about but at the same time I cannot see much pulling me away from the Mustang, but never say never.

I am sure many will recommend a GTR and I do like them but don't really want to own one and apart from looks the little Golf I am driving now is kind of like a mini GTR.

The one car I have thought about is the Alfa and the name I cannot spell, but the M4 rival, its quick, rare and looks well not too much to my taste but I do like it, those are 50k now and seem to continue falling in price. Scary thing is do Alfa give extended warranties because afterall it is an Alfa. :D

Gibbo, have a look into the E63 AMG (year 13-16 model); around this time of year Merc do a promotion with a 2 year warranty on their approved used cars, negotiate for a third year. They are great machines and can be easily "overclocked" to 700/700 if that takes your fancy! Maybe a bit bigger car than you had in mind but they don't have the 'reputation' that the C63s have.

It's a lovely daily and sounds fabulous. IMO, better than the newer 4.0V8 biturbos. I drove one back to back with the BMW F10 M5 and bought it purely on the aural pleasure it gave me!

Last edited:
Soldato
Gibbo, have a look into the E63 AMG (year 13-16 model); around this time of year Merc do a promotion with a 2 year warranty on their approved used cars, negotiate for a third year. They are great machines and can be easily "overclocked" to 700/700 if that takes your fancy! Maybe a bit bigger car than you had in mind but they don't have the 'reputation' that the C63s have.

It's a lovely daily and sounds fabulous. IMO, better than the newer 4.0V8 biturbos. I drove one back to back with the BMW F10 M5 and bought it purely on the aural pleasure it gave me!

I did the same, and bought the M5 because the tech in the E was a generation behind. It's the last car in the Merc model line up to get replaced out of the 3 saloons (S first, then C, then E). However, I do agree that the engine sound was much nicer than the F10 M5, but as I spend more time inside the car than out, that "my first Vtec iPad" entertainment unit and the analogue clock were enough to make me see sense :D

OcUK Staff
OP
I'm sure they do.

I'd rather catch the bus home.

How many cars have you driven on track? If you'd driven on track, driven several different vehicles then you'd understand this, for example on a track a Caterham with 150HP rev happy NA motor is more fun than an M4 with 400HP turbo motor. Track cars just don't suite turbocharged cars, my Golf a fantastic and immensely fast road car I would be bored of very quick on track, which some people here like Simon Crinkle Shoes fully understand where I am coming from. Hence the comment the M4's were not that exciting to me on track.

I've driven a huge away of different cars on race track and the M4, the Palmersport ones were just a let down, the E92 they had before them which do slower lap times, but were more fun.

I am going to go a re-visit the M4, got a couple of mates with Competition pack ones who rave about them, so time to re-visit as I can fully understand how a few tweaks by a manufacturer can transform a car.

OcUK Staff
OP
What about a BMW 1M coupe? A classic and will actually appreciate in value most likely if the mileage is kept reasonable and it's looked after. Prices are on the up.

Never liked the 1 series, don't care how fast it goes and how rare it is, I just dislike the looks, I appreciate what a cult car the 1M is but its just not for me. Yet I do like the M2, how crazy it is. :D

Sgarrista
Commissario
I am going to go a re-visit the M4, got a couple of mates with Competition pack ones who rave about them, so time to re-visit as I can fully understand how a few tweaks by a manufacturer can transform a car.

If youre getting a BM... then... this, and only this :D

22218456_1455078647861088_8928286451130065837_o.jpg

Soldato
Horse power alone doesn't make a fun car, or fast actually. Good cornering ability makes a car faster than adding horse power.

You get used to the power of a car and it stops feeling fast, but good handling always impresses.

Back
Top Bottom