THE 50K CHALLENGE: NEW MUSTANG ON THE WAY, BUT WOULD 50K BE BETTER SPENT ON ANOTHER MARQUE?

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
You've identified the Mustang, because it's a pretty unique set of attributes for it's cash. You're also clearly aware of the obvious German rivals.
For £50k, the less obvious potentials could include the new Renault Alpine and Alfa 4c, though clearly they fail miserably on the noise and hp levels. They would however be a good deal lighter and potentially more interesting to drive (though I'm personally doubtful).
If the budget can be negotiated, maybe a Vette

Soldato
Horse power alone doesn't make a fun car, or fast actually. Good cornering ability makes a car faster than adding horse power.

You get used to the power of a car and it stops feeling fast, but good handling always impresses.

deffo, because a bad handling car scares the hell out of you esp after today's drive ! it's a combination of the two.

Soldato
You've identified the Mustang, because it's a pretty unique set of attributes for it's cash. You're also clearly aware of the obvious German rivals.
For £50k, the less obvious potentials could include the new Renault Alpine and Alfa 4c, though clearly they fail miserably on the noise and hp levels. They would however be a good deal lighter and potentially more interesting to drive (though I'm personally doubtful).
If the budget can be negotiated, maybe a Vette

4C is a very poor car, in my experience. No word on the Alpine, yet. I'm hopeful but Renault's dual-clutch transmission leaves a lot to be desired in most instances, and I think the generic turbo'd four might harm its chances.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've driven a huge away of different cars on race track and the M4, the Palmersport ones were just a let down, the E92 they had before them which do slower lap times, but were more fun.

I am going to go a re-visit the M4, got a couple of mates with Competition pack ones who rave about them, so time to re-visit as I can fully understand how a few tweaks by a manufacturer can transform a car.

Fear not, you're not going mad - the only M4 I've driven that proved enjoyable and entertaining was a GTS (overlooking the insane premium). The rest just left me cold - but a few of my associates have enjoyed the Competition Pack variants (although, personally, on paper, I'm not convinced). Similarly, 1M left me stone cold - just a hodge-podge of bits and nothin' outstanding. M2, similarly, left me underwhelmed compared to its five-star ratings everywhere.

Loved the GTS so much that I tried to come up with a way to clone the experience using a 335i - stripped, caged, coilovers, etc. Still tempted.

Current C43 and C63 have impressed. Getting close to a Vantage N430 for that kind of money, too. Shoddy clutch actuation aside, I loved driving that thing.

Associate
So much choice at this level, but id be tempted by a 981 Cayman S with decent spec. Plenty of choice with £ to spare at this budget. Doesnt meet all your criteria but what does. Great to drive, looks the part, livable as a daily, shallow depreciation. Then save up for a 991 GTS/Turbo lol.

As an aside how do you get a mustang to 50k on the configurator? tops out at 42k for me?

Vore

V

Vore

M4 Competition pack (the car the M4 should have been)
C63(s)

C63 torque never failed to put a grin on my face - think my next car will be one. M4 has the edge on control but C63 puts the kiddy grin on your face with the loud pedal and the time I took it to Bedford I lost count of the number of “no drifting” boards I got hehehe.

Some prefer the 6.2 na but I prefer the 4.0 twin turbo... higher rev limit and much much better gearbox.

+1 (although I am biased) :) - with the performance exhaust it sounds great.

Permabanned
You drove a 400bhp car around a circuit and found that to be 'not exciting at all'?

Really?!

I find waiting for a bus or catching an episode of EastEnders as 'not exciting at all' but frankly any car in that environment would be at least slightly exciting.

No... standard M4 really isn't exciting, involving or interesting... it's the least "M" M car I've ever driven.

The E92 M3 Coupe in the same scenario on the same track was significantly better.

The Comp Pack M4 is the true E92 M3 successor.

It’s crinkleshoes. Next year I think he’s signed up for an F1 team

He was quoting @Gibbo...
Gibbo, have a look into the E63 AMG (year 13-16 model); around this time of year Merc do a promotion with a 2 year warranty on their approved used cars, negotiate for a third year. They are great machines and can be easily "overclocked" to 700/700 if that takes your fancy! Maybe a bit bigger car than you had in mind but they don't have the 'reputation' that the C63s have.

It's a lovely daily and sounds fabulous. IMO, better than the newer 4.0V8 biturbos. I drove one back to back with the BMW F10 M5 and bought it purely on the aural pleasure it gave me!

The 5.4TT is the worst engine of all.

The E63 is also very bimble bimble... not sporty at all with wallowy boat handling.

I'd rather catch the bus home.

How many cars have you driven on track? If you'd driven on track, driven several different vehicles then you'd understand this, for example on a track a Caterham with 150HP rev happy NA motor is more fun than an M4 with 400HP turbo motor. Track cars just don't suite turbocharged cars, my Golf a fantastic and immensely fast road car I would be bored of very quick on track, which some people here like Simon Crinkle Shoes fully understand where I am coming from. Hence the comment the M4's were not that exciting to me on track.

I've driven a huge away of different cars on race track and the M4, the Palmersport ones were just a let down, the E92 they had before them which do slower lap times, but were more fun.

I am going to go a re-visit the M4, got a couple of mates with Competition pack ones who rave about them, so time to re-visit as I can fully understand how a few tweaks by a manufacturer can transform a car.

Too true... I was really excited as it was my first time in an M4 and I love the E92 so much... it was a huge let down.

Get into something exotic it’s about time isn’t it and up your budget a bit.

Can get into a Ferrari with £50k to put down :D

I don't dispute that, you didn't say that though, you said it offered no excitement 'at all' which is just clear hyperbole.

I'd rather have an NA MK1 MX5 on track than a standard M4.

Fear not, you're not going mad - the only M4 I've driven that proved enjoyable and entertaining was a GTS (overlooking the insane premium). The rest just left me cold - but a few of my associates have enjoyed the Competition Pack variants (although, personally, on paper, I'm not convinced). Similarly, 1M left me stone cold - just a hodge-podge of bits and nothin' outstanding. M2, similarly, left me underwhelmed compared to its five-star ratings everywhere.

Loved the GTS so much that I tried to come up with a way to clone the experience using a 335i - stripped, caged, coilovers, etc. Still tempted.

Current C43 and C63 have impressed. Getting close to a Vantage N430 for that kind of money, too. Shoddy clutch actuation aside, I loved driving that thing.

Don't write off the M4 Comp Pack until you've tried one... I wasn't convinced on the differences either... then drove one... it's now high on my list. It's closer to the GTS but with a proper interior, a bit less power, no annoying water tank and you won't destroy the carbon fibre every time you find a speed bump.

F type never fails to make a drive an event.

Be like skelator and feel epic... but yes AWD is preferable unless you actually want to be a skeleton.

Disagree... I preferred the V6 RWD variant to the V8 AWD even though I love that V8 Jag engine.

Haven't had a chance to drive the V8 RWD... think I'd like that.

Very fun and predictable to slide... the seating position really gives you a great feeling of what the car is doing... but for a daily... the ride quality, interior and seat comfort are poor for what it is... it's also the worst car I've driven around a multi-storey car park - absolutely hated that and I've driven a 7 series in the same place.

Last edited:
Soldato
Disagree... I preferred the V6 RWD variant to the V8 AWD even though I love that V8 Jag engine.

Haven't had a chance to drive the V8 RWD... think I'd like that.

Very fun and predictable to slide... the seating position really gives you a great feeling of what the car is doing... but for a daily... the ride quality, interior and seat comfort are poor for what it is... it's also the worst car I've driven around a multi-storey car park - absolutely hated that and I've driven a 7 series in the same place.

Was referring to his previous about being a V8. The mech diff does suit the drive ability nature of the less grunty V6S rather than the V8 eDiff.

Lots seems to rating the 4 cylinder aswell, weight reduction upfront is pretty noticeable.

I do hate that though when sports car/ GT can’t do the basics like multistoreys though :p

OcUK Staff
OP
Was referring to his previous about being a V8. The mech diff does suit the drive ability nature of the less grunty V6S rather than the V8 eDiff.

Lots seems to rating the 4 cylinder aswell, weight reduction upfront is pretty noticeable.

I do hate that though when sports car/ GT can’t do the basics like multistoreys though :p

My time in a V8 F-Type was short, so maybe my experience was a poor one. Your fortunate enough to get plenty of time in them, have you found the same that trying to put power down in V8 RWD is just either a case of a lot wheelspin or traction control just holding it back? Is there different diff options to help or do you mean they all have same diff which is simply better suited to the V6S?

I do love looks on the F-Type Coupe, AWD would be great, but I think they are still like 70k upwards for the V8 and if so then at which point I can probably get into a 911 maybe.
If I did not like V8's so much would make it far easier haha.

Soldato
Two friends at work took an NSX out the other day :mad: but ignore my view I’m biased and hard to objectively look at stuff with “if it was my money” viewpoint.

V8 with that older rear axle just wants to light up or you get loads of DSC intrusion on anything other than dry roads once you are past quarter lock. The width of the car then make it’s difficult to explore it with the e-diff variable torque split making the experience all a bit unpredictable IMO. Turns it into a bit of a straightline animal that often simply collects too much speed between corners. V6 RWD and V8 AWD allow more real world thrashing.

Jonny is still trying to make a jag as nice as the E92 M3 ;)

11sec on a Quadrifoglio round the ring... although that’s a £150k limited run Project 8 XE.

Soldato
The Alfa quads look stunning for what they are both in pictures and in person. Much nicer than the new mustang that whilst nice, just looks compromised too much from certain angles. Ride height won't help, nor would a wheel change.

Back
Top Bottom