The Alan Titchmarsh Show on gaming

Soldato
I fully support him.

Parents need a kick up the arse, who the hell lets their kids play 15/18 games? Let alone BUY them for them.

Been doing game marketing in uni this semester, and parents dont understand ratings on games, they take it as a whimsy guide at best.

i managed to trick my mum into buyin me duke nukem when i was about 9 or 10.... and I cant even say the sweary word for poo without gettin slapped off her as a grown adult.
Nowadays parents are less ignorant to games and what not... or they should be, either way I grew up hooked on violent first person games.. iv never been in trouble with the police for any violence, the military trust me to use firearms and what not.. oh im completely ruined and built up with rage.
Im also cocky and arrogant and an extremely happy person whos fun loving, its not damaged my self esteem or outlook on life.
Old people should wind there necks in.. or ill chop em off ;)

Soldato
My God, that woman is a knob.

The guy is making a lot of good and sensible points that the morons in the crowd booing should actually heed, while the others are just spreading misinformation. I love how the older guy just makes up the stuff about the Bulger killers and video games- at the time, the tabloids were foaming at the mouth about 'EVIL' films, not games. Yet, now DVDs are an entirely wholesome form of entertainment apparently because, even though they are also 'in the home' (omg), the tabloids have found a new target.

Last edited:

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Now go watch Loose Women. That'll make you blow your top, if you haven't already.

Ask Azza, he's got the DVD ;)

Associate
What they need is people who actually know what they are talking about having a debate. But guess what, there aren't any because anyone who knows anything about games realises that such views are ridiculous.

Caporegime
They should ask those who played Heavy Rain and see just how many people made moral decisions throughout that game. I surprised myself on numerous occassions. :p

Man of Honour
I'm not able to view the clip yet but it would seem that there's aways some ideologist do-gooder who thinks the world would be a better place without sex and violence in games and indeed film but it's all down the responsibility of the individual playing the game in the first place. I do not believe such media triggers any such atrocities as this must be in the mindset in the first place.

However, I can understand their lack of understanding if i weren't a gamer myself. The airport mission in MW2 for example, was a bit uncalled for really. Anyone seeing that may have been rightly offended. However, most games are pretty harmless fun and no different to paintballing or playing Cowboys and Indians in the street when you were 5.

I don't (neither does my older son) exhibit this in front of our 3 year old but the time will come when he'll understand what it's all about. It's something you can't hide from any more. Sign of the times.

Soldato
Why a gardener is trying to host a talk show on video games is beyond me. I bet none of the people on there apart from the gamer even play games let alone are informed enough to have a sensible debate about such things.

The whole thing was obviously set up as a witch hunt against violent games. The audience treated the gamer like a peadophile and it was essentially 3 vs 1 in a "debate".

Such drivel - I hope they get a lot of complaints about such uninformed rubbish - I sent a complaint myslef but I doubt it will impriove any future "debates".

Last edited:
Associate
The video was a sad site but in a way not suprising that mass media still has this kneejerk view of videogames. The problem is for all the guys like him making good sensible points, all it takes is one woman like her to go "Think of the children!" and suddenly all the OAPs and soccer moms are on her side.

Also i don't see how a fud like Titchmarsh suddenly gets the idea of doing a debate show, esp one about video games.

Soldato
Sweet jebus that women is a idiot!!!

They seem to brush aside the matter that games are age restricted and if a parent buys a game rated over their childs age then it's their fault they are playing it and no one elses!

Associate
The gamer guy tried really hard, he fought a good fight against an extremely biased and misinformed opposition

He should have mentioned that it is normally the parents buying the 'evil violent games' for the 10 year old kid anyway

I agree, I went to do a job for someone the other day and there 12 year old kid was playing MW2.

Its just madness! she said "Im against violence for entertainment" - What the bloody hell is she getting at?!?!? Look at the likes of the SAW films or Saving Private Ryan! Granted Saving Private Ryan is real life history, but you can't tell me when you saw the NAZI Germans on it you wanted the Americans to kick their butts and kill them in the most painful way!?!?!

Caporegime
Its just madness! she said "Im against violence for entertainment" - What the bloody hell is she getting at?!?!? Look at the likes of the SAW films or Saving Private Ryan! Granted Saving Private Ryan is real life history, but you can't tell me when you saw the NAZI Germans on it you wanted the Americans to kick their butts and kill them in the most painful way!?!?!

This is exactly the sort of incoherent, frothing rebuttal that is going to win this argument for the gamers. Carry on, sir.

Back
Top Bottom