Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I need my gym fix! I haven't had dom's since the holidays. It's like withdrawls.
Tell me about it. It's really embarrasing for me now watching the guys come in and ask if I'm training today. Torture it is and torture it will be from the doms I receive when I do get back.

Man of Honour
OP
and you needed to live a little ;) Sounds like you had a great time. A favorate of mine was eating apple Strudel 10000 feet up. Plus I was in a Village where every hotel contained a gym.

Hehe - yeah you need to have fun, still my waist measurement hasn't increased which is good and not looking too bad, and still sub 18% so happy with that. Still need to get back to my body conditioning program before AGVT in March! I was hopping to get to 15%, which I know I can do. Problem is, skipping, hill sprints etc... are quite hard to do in the snow and ice! :D

Associate
Woop! Hadn't done weighted chins for a while so a week ago I stuck 20kg on and did it for reps, surprised me cause my weight's been going steadily up recently. Tried again yesterday's sessions and did 40kg for 1 strict rep from hanging dead (puts me at a bit over 19 stone altogether). Absolutely stoked and definitely going to keep pushing that in the coming weeks and months.

Apologies for the pointless post but I'm over the moon :p

PAz

PAz

Soldato
Hehe - yeah you need to have fun, still my waist measurement hasn't increased which is good and not looking too bad, and still sub 18% so happy with that. Still need to get back to my body conditioning program before AGVT in March! I was hopping to get to 15%, which I know I can do. Problem is, skipping, hill sprints etc... are quite hard to do in the snow and ice! :D

Come on mate, just think of Rocky IV :D

Man of Honour
OP
Woop! Hadn't done weighted chins for a while so a week ago I stuck 20kg on and did it for reps, surprised me cause my weight's been going steadily up recently. Tried again yesterday's sessions and did 40kg for 1 strict rep from hanging dead (puts me at a bit over 19 stone altogether). Absolutely stoked and definitely going to keep pushing that in the coming weeks and months.

40kg + BW chins are great work! Well done mate. To get to over 19st I just need 20kg round me but I know how hard it is, so you should be chuffed!

Come on mate, just think of Rocky IV :D

:D :D :D

Soldato

Thats pretty damn good:cool:, I'm 22st and struggle with an extra 15-20 kilos on me dipping belt, whilst doing wide grip pull ups.

Soldato
Thats pretty damn good:cool:, I'm 22st and struggle with an extra 15-20 kilos on me dipping belt, whilst doing wide grip pull ups.

Is that for a single rep or a set?

I think i've mastered 8 x 3 wide grip pull ups 'cus they seem pretty easy now (considering I could'nt do a single one when I started!). Is the next move to add some weight or add another set?

Man of Honour
Guys what do you do to help motivation with certain areas

I love the gym and can't get enough of it, I'm like a machine on Bicep/Back day and Tri/Chest day, even on shoulders

But get me on legs, and I just can't be bothered. Don't get me wrong, I make sure I do at least 25T before I leave the gym, but I know I can do more, it's just for some reason, my strength and size are just increasing at such a slow rate on my legs compared to the rest of me it's hard to get motivated

I've swapped my routine about loads too just doesn't help. I don't think it helps that I really have never enjoyed squats.

So what do the veterans do when motivation is low

Man of Honour
Had some NO-Xplode ntensity nt http://www.bodybuildingwarehouse.co.uk/bsn-no-xplode-nt---n-tensity---1-sample-stick-3244-p.asp lying around for the last few weeks and thought I'd give it a go today as I was on nights last night so flagging a bit and wow that stuff has some kick good energy cracking pump.
Normally I dont react to these things I can easily pop 300mg of caffine and not feel a great deal and I tried the orignal DY Extreme NOX pump and didnt feel much but this stuff is good, considering getting a box even though its quite pricy at once or twice a week itl last me a good few months.

Soldato
Is that for a single rep or a set?

I think i've mastered 8 x 3 wide grip pull ups 'cus they seem pretty easy now (considering I could'nt do a single one when I started!). Is the next move to add some weight or add another set?

I do 5x5 and add a little weight to each rep so 4, 8, 16, 20, 20 kilos. I would say add some weight but don't go silly to start with;).

Caporegime

I love the gym and can't get enough of it, I'm like a machine on Bicep/Back day and Tri/Chest day, even on shoulders

But get me on legs, and I just can't be bothered. Don't get me wrong, I make sure I do at least 25T before I leave the gym, but I know I can do more, it's just for some reason, my strength and size are just increasing at such a slow rate on my legs compared to the rest of me it's hard to get motivated

I've swapped my routine about loads too just doesn't help. I don't think it helps that I really have never enjoyed squats.

no veteran, but two words: self respect!

Soldato
I would never suggest replacing squats but love the 45 degree leg press. Try a bit more variety with various other leg routines/ equipment etc.
For me legs are the best muscles to train and they help with everything else.

Soldato
I found squats weren't enjoyable because I wasn't flexible enough. It's not nice to do an exercise that you aren't comfortable doing.

Are you stretching at all? If you aren't I'd suggest improving your lower body flexibility hips, knees and ankles and you'll find the exercise much more comfortable and thus enjoyable.

Remember to push through your feet/heels and not your toes :)

OT:

Just had a stab as some crunched planche pushups now I'm back at uni with some stands. I can hold the position but lack the power/drive to create an movement.

Something I'm going to work at on the side I think :)

Soldato

I'm not a fan of doing Squats unless its on a smith machine so I understand where you're coming from. Squats are best if not one of the best for legs, but its not the end of the world if you do alternative leg exercises. You can do these to compensate such as.............

Dumbbell Lunges "Quads"
Leg Extensions "Quads"
Leg Press "Quads"
Lying Leg Curls "Hamstrings"
Stiff Legged Deadlift "Hamstrings"
Stiff Legged Good Mornings "Hamstrings"

Last edited:

PAz

PAz

Soldato

Like TANK said, if you don't enjoy them do something else or just don't do them. End of the day gym is about enjoyment :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom