Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Tank - you got a punchbag at home right - heavybag or just standard PU / leather type bag?

Taken from the website.

The BBE Ultimate Professional Heavy Duty Punchbag is a hand stitched 100% dyed quality leather punchbag. The BBE Ultimate Professional Heavy Duty Punchbag weighs 45 - 50 kgs and the dimensions are 48" long x 18" diameter.

Caporegime
Bloody weather's causing havoc with my lifting. Had two weeks off over Christmas and planned to go back last week but the gym shut at 4pm everyday. Will probably be the same again this week unless things improve :(

Soldato
be thankful you have a garage, my setup is in the barn, minus 2 when i trained earlier :(

once your warmed up your fine though. infact i managed a PB 1rep of 140 for squats today, nearly double my BW :cool:

swear i train harder when its colder, more air in me lungs or something :p

Soldato
One of the instructors who I'm good friends with at my gym at Uni was complaining for a few weeks towards the end of last year as he was being sick every day.

He'd be training feel fine, have to run to the bathroom throw up whilst still feeling fine and then return to training. Turns out it was a stomach ulcer which he now has meds for but miraculously managed not too loose any weight, despite vomiting regulary!

Soldato
Done my three day split this week and loved it, I really ach and I'm really sore:D. The only down side is its colder than a witch's tit down their:(.

Associate
I haven't trained legs for a few months because I had to move house and made a 10min bike ride on lots of hills daily, and being unable to walk properly after leg days represented a problem. Anw, a month ago I did another 2 or 3 sessions of 5x5 on my squats with around 100kgs so I was happy that I didn't lose too much strength.

Now, after coming bak to uni and without a month of gym work, I thought I'd start GVT
so as I put 2 20kg plates on the barbell today for my squats I was thinking why do Freefaller and Benny here are saying that GVT is so demanding, they don't use that much weigh compared to their "normal" lifts so it can't be that bad.

10 sets of squats later I was like :eek::eek::eek:

My God, only the germans could have thought of such a torturing routine. Most horrible session ever, nearly puked at the end, and last 2 sets were definately NOT 402 tempo but at least I kept it as slow as possible.
But at least I made it back home through the snow, let it be known that no bad weather can keep me from the gym.:D:D

Soldato
We weren't lying :p

Try to stick to the tempo and if you stall/fail end the set. The next week you'll be able to see your progession when you compare your logs.

I wish you all the best with your DOMS tomorrow morning, I remember mine vividly. You'll stand up and fall straight over :D

For 10 weeks I had to gracefully 'fall' onto the toilet.

It's very rewarding and as I said very challenging. I wouldn't expect massive weight increases over the period of the routine but you find your stamina and endurance increase significantly.

Keep us updated on your progress and how you're finding it. Stretch out tonight or doom yourself to even more agony tomorrow!

Associate
I've had my leave from work confirmed now so as of 22nd Feb I'm flying to South America for 6 months. I'm now going to be able to eat steak everyday, but won't be training to see the benefit! :D

Man of Honour
OP
I haven't trained legs for a few months because I had to move house and made a 10min bike ride on lots of hills daily, and being unable to walk properly after leg days represented a problem. Anw, a month ago I did another 2 or 3 sessions of 5x5 on my squats with around 100kgs so I was happy that I didn't lose too much strength.

Now, after coming bak to uni and without a month of gym work, I thought I'd start GVT
so as I put 2 20kg plates on the barbell today for my squats I was thinking why do Freefaller and Benny here are saying that GVT is so demanding, they don't use that much weigh compared to their "normal" lifts so it can't be that bad.

10 sets of squats later I was like :eek::eek::eek:

My God, only the germans could have thought of such a torturing routine. Most horrible session ever, nearly puked at the end, and last 2 sets were definately NOT 402 tempo but at least I kept it as slow as possible.
But at least I made it back home through the snow, let it be known that no bad weather can keep me from the gym.:D:D

I did AGVT which is 10 sets of 5 reps (for 2 major compounds) then 3x8 (of subsidiary exercises), but the tempo and recovery time is so so important. Sure I squat 180+ and deadlift 220 etc... however, AGVT you start at a MAX of 60% of your 1RM - and for good reason! It's bloody hard work!! :D

Glad to see you're getting on with it- I'm starting it in March, and I can't wait! :D Going to be good fun... well, actually it's slightly masochistic but what the heck, I don't go to gym for anything else!

Soldato
Just echoing FF and the importance of the tempo and rest period. Total reps aren't important. Such a high level of fatigue in the muscle that recruits all the muscle fibres is :)

How do the legs feel today?

Associate
Well I did some stretching which must have helped :) and took my glutamine before bed and today I was chuffed that I could stand up. :D
ofc I then went to the stairs to go to the kitchen ( I live on the 2nd floor in a house) and errrrm let's just say I was happy that the rail was sturdy and my grip was strong. :o
However, past leg training experience has shown me that the first day after the training I get a bit sore, it's the day after that hurts. So tomorrow should be interesting.

Speaking of tempo and all that, I understand that the 402 on the rep is important so I will stick to it, but let's say I'm on a set to the final reps and feel tired, is it ok to rest for 2-3 seconds in the superior position of the movement (arms/legs locked) and attempt another one or just rack the bar?

AGVT sounds even more fun. I will probably give that a go somewhere in the (rather distant) future, provided I survive GVT :D
and nono it does not sound horrible, it is horrible. ;)

Soldato
Speaking of tempo and all that, I understand that the 402 on the rep is important so I will stick to it, but let's say I'm on a set to the final reps and feel tired, is it ok to rest for 2-3 seconds in the superior position of the movement (arms/legs locked) and attempt another one or just rack the bar?

I'd say a slight pause for a few seconds is okay without racking/dropping the weight of course. If you know you're going to fail but you'll be able to fight it slightly longer which is of more benefit.

It's one of those things where you're so tired and exhausted you just want to give up but then you remember you've only got to do it once a week and then you crack on.

We all know you get out what you put in :)

Associate
I did GVT squats for the first time today. I thought I could manage 50kg but I was so so so wrong. I did 50kg for the first 6, which went: 10,7,8,7,6,4 .. At this point, I knew I had bitten off a bit more than I could chew, so dropped to 40kg, which is probably where I should have started, and finished with 7,6,7,5 .. Cor, it was pretty tough going with 60 seconds rest, was panting like it was an intense cardio work out. Loved it though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom