Poll: ***The all new gymrats thread***

Do we archive this thread and start a new one for 2010?

• Yeah good idea.

Votes: 11 78.6%
  • Nah I'm happy with this one.

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
I did GVT squats for the first time today. I thought I could manage 50kg but I was so so so wrong. I did 50kg for the first 6, which went: 10,7,8,7,6,4 .. At this point, I knew I had bitten off a bit more than I could chew, so dropped to 40kg, which is probably where I should have started, and finished with 7,6,7,5 .. Cor, it was pretty tough going with 60 seconds rest, was panting like it was an intense cardio work out. Loved it though.

Yeah, you want to get full sets out for the first 3 sets roughly. Then you'll find they start to drop as you progress trhough the sets. I read it's not uncommon for the rep total to drop and then rise then drop again as you go through the sets. Can't remember the reason but it doesn't mean the weight is too light so don't worry about that. I remember sweating buckets, it was awesome.

OT: Got my theory result for my level 2 gym instructors course. 44/50 and I aced the practical assesment. So now I'm qualified :) Level 3 in march hopefully! :D

Soldato
Well done mate! You going to join Ant in the mission of ridding of poor PTs from our shores? :)

I hope to become a fountain of knowledge :p

It's a big passion of mine and I've already coached a few people and do quite enjoy it. It's more of a safety net incase I find it hard to get work relevant to my degree which is in 'Furniture'. I've a passion for both and which ever one isn't my profession will remain a hobby. I also find it useful for myself to improve my knowledge of the body and training methods.

Man of Honour
OP
Soldato
Chaps have you read up on the articles behind I, Bodybuilder over on T-Muscle?

I know they're promoting their $300 training beverage.. :0

But I got some tips out of the articles which I've put into practice to see if they make any difference, like the one with the Bench Press, really low reps, at the bottom just dropping the bar a bit then powering up etc...

I think its a good idea... then I get wary.. with the product advertisments and all that. No doubt the chap Christian most probably knows what he's on about. Just me being skeptic thats all.

dun

dun

Soldato
Nice one Benny!

Kappa- I have stopped reading T-nation totally. I just had a quick skim of that article and its pretty basic stuff dragged out and written overcomplicated in my opinion. Full effort on each rep, feel the muscle not the weight or the reps, blah blah. Lift hard and mix it up, nothing new :p

Man of Honour
OP
There's a lot of info out there, and most of the places tell you the same thing in a different manner. There are some categoric facts of course - however if you add all you read with some biology you can quickly make up your own mind on what's right and wrong (e.g. protein & protein synthesis, supps, ATP usage, hypertrophy etc....) It's the same for every human being, it's just how you apply the stimulus for it that differs. I don't miond T-nation, though the ads are annoying. I keep away from forums though, or at least take what forums say with a pinch of salt unless i know or trust the people posting. By that I mean "expert" forums like bodybuilding.com etc... I focus on articles written by well respected trainers and by using my own research and my own catalogue of diet, nutrition and training books. :)

Ultimately the messages are all the same, eat well, train hard, sleep well and be patient. It's how you choose to interpret the info, and how much you want to believe it. :)

Soldato
I was following that and waiting for it in anticipation (I was bored at work during summer for 17 weeks :p).

It got quite complicated drinking gallons of this 'anaconda' drink or something like that. And got even more complex when it talked about insulin and how using the drink can help boost it/stop the body cutting off production as soon as you begin to exercise and that this was how they've packed on 24lbs of lean muscle in 7 weeks.

Most of it went over my head but it seemed to me like it was heading down the lines of synthetic insulin manipulation which is EXTREMELY dangerous. Not to mention that drink probaly costs a fortune and tastes like ****.

I don't want to generalise but I think a fair few of the chaps used as examples in the articles may well be juiced.

However some of their other articles are very informative and it's where I read up about GVT/discovered it. I also discovered complexes there which I've yet to try but another member here just has.

We all know how to gain muscle, but I don't have the knowledge or money to understand the biology behind I-bodybuilder so will be sticking to the big 3 principles now. Lift, Eat, Sleep :)

Though if they come up with any interesting routines/splits I might pinch them :p

Edit: I also think any promotion of supplements on T-nation should be taken with a pinch of salt as there's probaly some behind closed doors 'ching-ching' action going on. Whilst their voices still have value I'd also like to hear what 'average' joe has to say about it too.

OT:

Thinking about my next routine becoming a push-pull split. So an Upper Vertical Push/Pull, Quad Dominant Leg Day, Rest, Upper Horizontal Push/Pull, Hamstring Dominant Leg Day, Rest, Repeat.

Anybody done anything similar? Comments/thoughts welcome.

Last edited:
Associate
I was like Benny on this one, I followed this quite carefully, mainly due to its crazy claims. So when they finally released it i was quite excitied, but as soon as I read about having to drink this "anaconda" stuff I stopped reading. Yet another campaign to rip people of their hard earned cash. It may have some truth in it, but like Benny said, the examples they used could have just juiced to make it seem like this miracle program works.

No way would you find me trying to figure out the uber complicated routine/diet wasting my money buying gallons of god only knows what to pump into my body.

I'd rather stick with the tried and tested formula of lift hard, eat lots, and sleep well, thanks.

Associate
I've just started doing SL 5 x 5 this week too, to ease me back into lifting and to gain some much needed strength. Started with workout B as I still need to get a back pack to put weight in for workout A (replacing the bench press with push ups). Anyway just finished B and the Prone Bridges, I did 3 x 30 seconds and it is possibly one of the hardest things I've asked my body to do haha, the two first sets were ok, a bit hard, but the third felt like going through hell and back, I thought my mid section was going to snap :D. This is deffinitely something I've been neglecting and so will pursue with more vigour :)

dun

dun

Soldato
I'd rather stick with the tried and tested formula of lift hard, eat lots, and sleep well, thanks.

And that's all you need + variety. If you want *the secret* to gaining 20lbs in a couple of months then you will be disappointed unless you get to know your way round a needle (and even then 20lbs is insane/ very very unlikely after its all said and done).

I've started strength again, but even though I call it 'fivebyfive' its not anything like stronglifts etc. More intensity and weight with just 5 reps per set. Enjoying it at the moment :)

Soldato
I never really listen to the product articles on T-nation. For me, it's useful because the pretty pictures are motivating, it sometimes is useful for explanations on how to exercise, and I often have a look at Professor X's posts because I like his Nike - Just Do It sort of attitude - not over-analysing everything, just getting out there and lifting hard, heavy and consistently.

Soldato

Prone Bridges/Planks are awesome. Especially side planks.

I did 5 x 1 minute planks with 30 second rests. It was the sweatiest 7 and a half minutes of my life :p and I was very aware of my transverse abs for the next 2 days.

Try mixing it up with some side planks too if you didn't already intend to :)

Associate
right, today was the second day after my leg training and, as anticipated I was a lot more sore than yesterday. I did not walk to work, I limped to work and every time I had to go down some steps I was looking like someone who's partially disabled. Never been this sore in my life :D

Soldato
An enjoyful 10 weeks for you :D

Note: I performed legs in the middle of the other 2 work outs. This meant for shoulders I didn't include any leg activiation as such as I was merely standing. If I had to do B.O.R's 2 days after training legs I'd of probaly just collapsed in a heap.

Either way it's still incredibly painful unfortunatley!

Last edited:
Associate
Prone Bridges/Planks are awesome. Especially side planks.

I did 5 x 1 minute planks with 30 second rests. It was the sweatiest 7 and a half minutes of my life :p and I was very aware of my transverse abs for the next 2 days.

Try mixing it up with some side planks too if you didn't already intend to :)

Thanks Benny I hadn't thought about that, I'll chuck those in the mix also :) and 5 x 1 min :eek: I think I'd be crying haha.

Soldato
Thanks Benny I hadn't thought about that, I'll chuck those in the mix also :) and 5 x 1 min :eek: I think I'd be crying haha.

Tears and beads of sweat look the same :p

It's useful if you have a mirror as keeping your body straight in a side plank I find myself right at the peak of my R.O.M.

Associate
Tears and beads of sweat look the same :p

It's useful if you have a mirror as keeping your body straight in a side plank I find myself right at the peak of my R.O.M.

Cheers, think I might lye one down beside me so I can see. Would love eventually (long way off) to be able to do the Planche and maybe even one day Planche press ups, that would be a cool party trick :cool:

Soldato
I've tried tuck planche press ups (tried being the keyword). It's a lot about back strength I found as the muscles used to hyper-extend the back are used to hold the legs. No doubt planks/prone bridges will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom