Poll: *** The All New Windows AV Thread - Keep All AV Questions in Here ***

What AV do you use?

• Total voters
Soldato
Ah that's fair enough, long as it doesn't start nagging for card details or popping up with upgrade messages because you're only on the basic package!

Tbh it sounds like you just want an AV package that does what any decent AV should be doing in that it protects the system without interfering with your use of the computer. For that Windows Defender will do everything you need as it's a full on package.

There's no reason why you can't try a handful out a week at a time and see what you like the best. Windows Defender you never have to open or even look at as it does everything. BitDefender/MWB etc may sometimes fail a definition update and will poll a message in the Windows 10 notification centre with a relevant message of the failure which requires your attention, so you will click on it to see what's up only to see that since that action centre message, the AV has updated but not taken away the previous notification so you've wasted several clicks on nothing :p I see this every so often on Bitdefender, if an update fails for whatever reason (server error etc) the app will try again until it succeeds, but by nature the Windows action centre message will still be there even after it succeeds. This has been my observation though as I do like to ttry out alternatives from time to time and others experiences may be different.

I use Bitdefender free version and to be honest I never have issues(unless you do a major Windows update to a new version, so best to uninstall and install Bitdefender free version after new Windows 10 version), it's forget and use PC as normal, being cloud based for detection no need to worry on updates as that is taken care of, really nothing for it to do apart from scan for viruses in real time when it needs to.

Great detection and very light on resources with nothing to do really on user end, plus free so no brainer IMHO.

Man of Honour
Nope but BItDefender free has been faultless the last couple months. So simple, so minimal, but powerful...

Windows 10 Defender is getting a massive upgrade shortly. MS are integrating a lot of their cloud services and other bits into one roof. All seems promising really.

Associate
Whats everyone's thoughts on totalAV my usual antivirus (bullguard) has now ran out and I have started a trial month with totalAV looks OK so far and has a von service as well. Looking online looks like it got decent scores from av test and av comparatives but when I installed it my malwarebytes kept deleting it as a PUP.

Soldato
For years I've only used ESET and Malwarebytes but this time opted for Norton 360 Deluxe, £10 for 5 devices.

Norton used to be a pig back in the day but has some pretty good reviews now.

V F

V F

Soldato
For years I've only used ESET and Malwarebytes but this time opted for Norton 360 Deluxe, £10 for 5 devices.

Norton used to be a pig back in the day but has some pretty good reviews now.

I've been using it for a few years now. It's not the same Norton it used be that got a bad rep for but also use ESET on another computer.

Associate
Had a pop-up reminding me to renew ESET as it's expiring soon think I'll swap to Defender and the occasional MBAM scan

Associate
I was using Windows Defender and was fine with it. I found a deal on the river site when I was renewing my office sub, £55 for 15 months of office and Norton 360 Deluxe. So far I'm liking Norton and my PC seems a tad more responsive and I don't need a separate VPN now either :) So not bad for essentially 15 months of paid AV for free.

Associate
bitdefender free
been using this for a couple of months without issue, tonight i ended up uninstalling a game (world of warships) and bitdefender has played up since, i have run cccleaner on the registry i have used bitdefender uninstaller now i am at the point of been unable to installer bitdefender again as i get the message "cannot copy installer"

no amount of searching has taken me to a solution, hence here i am, anyone any ideas??

Soldato
Win Defender and Malware Bytes here. Never had a problem as long as I can remember. I am using the free version of Advanced Systemcare, always thought those types of "speed up" programs were snake oil.

Having problems updating my Security Intelligence Update for Windows Defender AV, keeps failing.

Get the error code: 0x80070643

I have tried running sfc /scannow which repaired a few files, tried without an AV while updating, starting the Windows Installer via services.msc. I'm out of ideas.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom