The all things Anime related thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Originally posted by smurkey
I don't understand anime, is there something I'm missing? I watched Ghost in the Shell and kept wondering why I was watching it and that it seemed aimed at children... what's the score? :confused:
The brilliantly stylised graphics are what get me. The amazing scenes and shots that just couldn't be done with real-actors, and would look horribly fake with attempted "real" cgi. Plus being in full control of the visuals, allows the artists to create really strong moods for particular scenes/shots. :)

Only seen the basic stuff myself. Akira (confusing, but cool), Ghost in the Shell (very good), the Cowboy Bebop movie (not seen the series, but I thought it was brilliant), and Spirited Away (confusing as hell when you miss the first hour or so :p, but fantastic looking). Other than a couple of episodes of Trigun, that's been about it for me.

Commissario
Originally posted by mundu
Looks like the marketplace is the only place I can get Cowboy Bebop - The Perfect Sessions now.
I would be very carefull

Do you mean the Perfect Collection box set, or Best Sessions (the single disk with fans favourites in 5.1)/

The Perfect Collection is long long out of print*, and I would be extremely wary of anyone claiming to be selling a set, especially if they are selling it "new" (I won't say they are all either fakes, or used sets that have been resealed, but i'm fairly sure about 99% will be)

Best Sessions the single disc is still widely available from as little as $14 delivered.

*It was done as a limited edition (10k copies) back in 2001 if memory serves, and was very hard to find by mid 2002.

Soldato
Well i'm on the look out for the perfect sessions the whole series so if anyone happens to know of anyone selling it let me know :p

Although if it's that rare I might try and find the JAP boxset.

Associate
finally got around to starting gasaraki (had the box sat on my shelf since before christmas.. go me!), and i watched the trailers..... anyone seen the tekken or sin movies? looked kinda cool

bum

bum

Associate
I agree for all of you over that ebay thing. however, ebay able to provide you some anime that has not yet been licensed or (licensed but not yet released) or simply those that you cannot find.

I personally would ebay because I collect my favorite Anime on DVDs (mostly movies tbh) and I would like them to be authentic.

I was looking for a series last night, found them from Amazon.co.jp and cdjapan which cost $400 and it's without sub nor dub (original release on DVD)

found it on ebay and some yank's web site for less than $50 :rolleyes:

just dont trust those so called "region free anime DVDs" those are all fake

Commissario
Originally posted by bun

I was looking for a series last night, found them from Amazon.co.jp and cdjapan which cost $400 and it's without sub nor dub (original release on DVD)

found it on ebay and some yank's web site for less than $50 :rolleyes:
e

The $50 set is almost certainly a fake, unless it's second hand and being sold extremely cheap/undervalued :(
America has a huge number of online retailers who either don't know, or more likely simply don't care that they are selling bootleg DVD's (at least one such retailer has two sites, one selling legit stuff, the other selling bootlegs - the order system apparently gives it away as an order on one site shows up on the other)

Soldato
yea well...i just refer to females as girls, whenever i hear the word woman i think of a 60 year old grey haired old housewife lol. I don't mean any disrespect by it :)

I don't know if there's a manga of it, just thought I'd mention that it's a film that girls seem to like, in my experience :p

Commissario
Kiki's Delivery service isn't a magic girl show, for one thing it's lacking the transformation sequences with implied nudity :p
It's more a film about growing up I guess would be the best wayt to describe it, and is very enjoyable* :)

Grave of the fireflies is definately sad, and to a certain extent depressing as you know that whatever the main characters do is futile, but it is definately worth watching.

*I've yet to see a Miyazaki film I didn't like (although i've only seen 'Spirited Away', 'Totoro', 'Nausicaa', 'Kiki's Delivery service' and 'Laputa'/'Castle in the sky' so far)

Associate
OP
Originally posted by Lostcorpse
Thinking of getting Urusei Yatsura more for the classicness in it. any good it just seems to be movies or is there a TV show as well?

Brilliant show. Just hope you have lots of money and time. 6 Movies, 11(i think) OAV's and 196 tv episodes, that lot would keep you off the streets. If you start at the movies it sort of drops you in at the deep end, so i suggest you start with the first few episodes of the tv series.

They have been released in the US by Animeigo and in the UK by Anime projects (VHS) and now MVM. Movie 2 was released by CPM in the US but never released in the UK.

bum

bum

Associate
by the time you finish Urusei Yatsura it would be year 2046...

really long series it is.

it was on tv for ages when i was a kid.

btw Spirited Away is the ******

Associate
bun said:
wait for the full box release tbh.
anyone seen the cowboy bebop movie, knock on heaven's door? funny enough I've seen the movie before the series
Same here, saw the movie at the cinema, by the end of it my mouth was gaping open and I was utterly speechless! A few months passed before I managed to see the series, and to my amazement it was even better than the film!

The other anime film I saw on that same day was something called "Tamala 2010: A Punk Cat in Space", which I highly reccomend to anyone who likes sinister galaxy-wide corporate conspiracies, dark mysterious cults, and Hello Kitty.:D

Slight plot spoiler follows, select text to view:

It's about a cute teenage female cat who goes off on a journey into space in order to find her biological mother. During this long and magical journey, she discovers love, friendship, and that she is actually the reincarnated messiah of an evil cat-sacrificing cult.

It's really sick! I loved it!:p

The most disturbing thing about it by far was that it really seems to be aimed at very young children! I'm not basing this on anything I saw in the movie but to the fact that I went to their website and subscribed to the newsletter, and (going by the dodgy translations the web has been able to offer me) the content of the emails I've been getting really seems to be addressed at pre-teen kids! There's a very disturbed generation of children growing up in Japan if this thing's at all popular!:p

Commissario
Just spotted this bit of news on OAD regarding new Beez titles

# Midori Days from April 2005
# S-CRY-ed from April 2005
# Witch Hunter Robin from April 2005
# Stratos 4 from April 2005
# Mobile Suit Gundam the movies from May 2005: Mobile Suit Gundam I, Mobile Suit Gundam II, Mobile Suit Gundam III, Mobile Suit 0083 The Afterglow of Zeon (not released in the US), Mobile Suit Gundam Char's Counter Attack, Mobile Suit Gundam F-91
# Mobile Suit Gundam SEED from June 2005
# Planetes from September 2005
# Wolf's Rain from October 2005 (TV + OVA)

A few suprises there, although some were already known about (just not the actual dates - Wolf's Rain and WHR both had trailers on the Bebop DVD's).

Wolf's Rain is one I'll most likely be getting (I sort of have to with my nickname:p)

Whilst i'm here, did anyone else order the Fullmetal Alchemist "Starter set" from the U.S?
My one went into shipping on Saturday, so i'm hoping it will arrive in the next week or so (it should be customs free as it was only $31.77/£17 for the actual set).
More importantly, is FMA any good as i've bought it blind :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom