The all things Anime related thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Have you been watching the 2nd series of Baka to Test? Because I found it improved in the 2nd series by a nice jump. I know a fair few don't like it so much as the battle system isn't so much of a focus.

With the release of the 2nd series of Shinryaku! Ika Musume thats what prompted me to try the first series.

Soldato
Pretty much all the fansubs that are linked with '****' (I think that's his/her online name) are going over to hi10p only (+xvid if you're very lucky), it's basically him/her pushing it hard... do I agree with this hi10p only approach, not really but I'm not a fansub group...

Soldato
Have you been watching the 2nd series of Baka to Test? Because I found it improved in the 2nd series by a nice jump. I know a fair few don't like it so much as the battle system isn't so much of a focus.

With the release of the 2nd series of Shinryaku! Ika Musume thats what prompted me to try the first series.

Second series of Baka to Test is somewhere in my backlog ... and given it's in there it probably wont see the light of day until Funi release it some point in the future (assuming S1 sold enough copies).

With season 1 of Shinryaku! Ika Musume I'm just hoping my part 1, which should ship next week, will be playable given the horror stories I've read regarding it's floaters due to poor quality casing.

Soldato
Watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Space vol 3 earlier .... nice continuation of the story and only one further volume (I suspect in December or January) to finish the series DVD release on R1. Good comic/action sci-fi hijinks. It is a pity that Bandai haven't done the series as a BD release though ... although someday, maybe ...

I see at least their release of Star Driver seems to be a bit of a step in the right direction with the first set being available on DVD and BD and being an entire cour long (without being to expensive at ~£31 for BD) instead of their usual 4 or 7 episode releases.

Soldato
Just going back briefly to the subject of video decoders, LAV has just updated to 0.36 and one of the nice improvement this includes is merging LAVCUVID and LAVVideo into one entity (although CUVID HW Accelleration is disabled by default).

For some of us (non Nvidia card, non-compliant videos or whatever) this won't make much of a difference, but what it does mean is you can now set this up for DSPlayer or MPC-HC and have it autoswitch between CUDA video decoding for 8bit files, and software for 10bit files. I gave it a quick run through, and although I'll be sticking with software as I have some videos which dont play nice with CUVID (framerate drops etc), it was definately working as I could run 10bit Hi10p through it and have it work fine, and then have CPU usage roughly halved from the normal CPU decoding value (~10-15% to about 3-7%) for 8bit videos.

There's also apparently some optimisations to reduce CPU usage for Hi10p in general :)

Just thought I'd mention this. This isn't discussing fansubs just video playback in general so hopefully it's not a problem :) [If it is, feel free to edit/delete, just trying to give a handy headsup for those of us using a HTPC]

@lsg1r - I'd definately give it a shot, you mentioned you thought LAV was using DXVA/Hardware accelleration before, but based on this latest update and the patch notes, it'd seem it almost certainly wasn't :)

Almost finished Durarara now. Opinion still stands on the series, but it's not a series I'd be embarassed to say I've seen and at least it's left me guessing at quite how its going to end as a series in some respects.

Last edited:
Soldato
I only meant gpu acceleration on the normal h264 not the hi10p stuff... CPU usage just seems far too low compared with how it used to be for cpu decoding, 720p with no gpu was usually 70%+ and like I said unless there's been some massive improvement on the code the 20% (matches the win 7 built in codec) I'm getting just seems too low to be anything but.

Nvidia cuda decoding is useless for me, I went ATI

Soldato
gundam (00 is most recent series - on dvd), you can't say you've watched anime until you've watched at least one gundam series :)

Other options:
mezzo
ghost in the shell
eureka seven

Associate
gundam (00 is most recent series - on dvd), you can't say you've watched anime until you've watched at least one gundam series :)

Other options:
mezzo
ghost in the shell
eureka seven

Thanks will check them out, I know a lot of you will probably say bleach but my friends just say it's like dbz where they spend half the episode powering up etc :p

Soldato
Looks like Sentai has been on a bit of a licensing spree this week with some more announcements overnight:

The World God Only Knows (S1 & S2) ... DVD and BD early next year.
Akikan ... why? just why?
And Yet The Town Moves (aka Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru) ... hmmm can't say I was overly enamoured with this
Towa no Quon ... don't really know anything about this series of movies

That's on top of their simulcast announcements ...
Persona 4: The Animation
Majikoi - Oh! Samurai Girls
Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere

Associate
Well, I just started watching Stein's Gate.

Umm... I'm very confused! :p

I only watched the first 2 eps so far, and I'm not sure if I should ask any questions about the stuff I didn't understand, or if it's all about to be explained in the 3rd one. It's a real headscratcher though I'll tell you!:D

Soldato

I only watched the first 2 eps so far, and I'm not sure if I should ask any questions about the stuff I didn't understand, or if it's all about to be explained in the 3rd one. It's a real headscratcher though I'll tell you!:D

I've seen the first episode and was in the same state as you. My understanding is that things become clearer as the series go on ...

Soldato

Have you watched chaos:gate, it's meant to be a bit of a follow on type of series....

I've still got to watch steins:gate although I did watch chaos:gate and it never really explained it lol

Soldato
I don't think that they are really linked in that way. The original games were for Chaos;Head and Steins;Gate were developed by the same companies with the latter set about a year after the former in another part of Tokyo but from what I've read they are not really "linked" from a plot point of view ...

Chaos;Head was one of those series which was a bit of a head scratcher most of the time from what I recall ...

Soldato
I still haven't got round to watching Steins; Gate but the feedback I've read about it do make me interested in doing so. Got so much 'to watch' on the list though no sure when it'll end up playing in front of me haha

I've not heard so much about Chaos;Gate but then I likely just missed it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom