The all things Anime related thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Finished the first part BD set for the Twelve Kingdoms yesterday. I still would say that I'm not finding it great but I'm getting on with it well enough that I'll probably get the next set when it comes out in the next couple of months.

Other than that I've made a start on FMA:B. Watched the first BD disk so far and getting on ok with it. I have seen the previous version of FMA before, but it's been quite a while so I don't remember very much of it other than the basic plot. But I'm getting on ok with this new version.

I'm watching it on the US BD release, a certain US Rainforest site keeps on having them on special (which is good if you have a multi-region BD player) ... I missed out on getting them at $20 a set but did pick them up at the end of last month for ~$25 per set :)

edit: Also watched part 1 of the Bandai release of Tales of the Abyss last night ... to be honest it was better than I was expecting and worked reasonably well as a fairly generic fantasy series.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, yes you should finish it :)
Haven't got round to Xenoblade yet but otherwise my favourite JRPG this generation, the fact its well voice acted, translated with things like humour which is often absent and looks like you're playing an anime (plus the Production IG cutscenes) is just the cherry on the cake :)

Soldato
Soundtracks

I keep popping in here once in a blue moon to ask what I should be watching, however I find myself listening to soundtracks a lot more now than watching any anime.

I've been listenning a lot recently to Cybercity Oedo 808 and Street Fighter Animated Movie soundtracks (the score as opposed to the bands). They are brilliant and really inspiring.

In the past have liked anything Yoko Kanno and Kenji Kawai have done.
(GITS, Akira, Cowboy Beebop, etc).

What others would you recommend?

Soldato
I've quite liked the soundtracks for the Ghibli films I've listened to (really like the Celtic/Traditional vibe of the Arrietty soundtrack for example); also liked the Angel Beats soundtrack, a few others I've listened to like the Toradora soundtracks weren't as consistant but had some good tracks like Yasashisa no Ashioto (the little guitar piece that plays at the very beginning of the series).

In terms of Op/ED tunes, a certain russian site/group seemed to have done some good 'Best of' albums, but obviously I can't say who :)

I've got that nagging feeling I've missed some too, but can't think of what Im missing right now.

Soldato
Personally I've been listening to a lot of Hanasaku Iroha and Usagi Drop tracks recently. Other than that tracks from K-On appear quite a bit on my playlists. It's hard to really say as most of the time I listen to playlists instead of entire soundtrack CD's so they'll likely have tracks from many different series on them.

My current commute playlist consists of ...
Allegro Cantabile - Suemitsu and the Suemiths (Nodame Cantabile)
Hazy - Sphere (Hanasaku Iroha)
Sweet Drops - Puffy (Usagi Drop)
Hanasaku Iroha - Clammbon (Hanasaku Iroha)
Tenshi ni Fureta Yo! - Houkago Tea Time (K-On!!)
You Raise Me Up (JP Version) - Lena Park (RomeoXJuliet)
Kimi no Shira nai Monogatari - Supercell (Bakemonogatari)
High, High, High - Kasarinchu (Usagi Drop)
Hana no Iro - nano.RIPE (Hanasaku Iroha)
Sakura Mau Kono Yakusoku no ... - Seioh Gakuen Kōka Band (Manabi Straight)
Ready!! (M@ster version) - 765Pro Allstars (IdolM@ster)
U&I - Houkago Tea Time (K-On!!)
Fuwa Fuwa Time - Houkago Tea Time (K-On!)
Sweet Drops (Acoustic piano version) - (Usagi Drop OST)
For You - Rei Fu (Wandering Son)
You Raise Me Up (English version) - Lena Park (RomeoXJuliett)
Kawaru Mirai - Choucho (Kami-sama no Memo-chō)
A Happy Life - Megumi Hayashibara (Manabi Straight)
Omokage Warp - nano.RIPE (Hanasaku Iroha)
Eago no Riyuu - Meg Rock (Asu no Yoichi!)
Garnet - Hanako Oku (The Girl Who Leapt Through Time)
High, High, High (Acoustic piano version) - (Usagi Drop OST)
Houkago Tea Time - Houkago Tea Time (K-On!!)

And I do have CDs for them :)

But that is only one of several anime playlists on my iPod.

Last edited:
Associate
You guys will have often heard me mention Aachi and Ssipak in this thread before, the Korean anime set in a postapocalyptic, energy-sparse future in which human waste is burned as fuel and the state rewards you with drus for every dump you take, in which mutant drug-addict Smurfs battle Robocop over control of the Girl with the Magical ********, who, because of some accounting error, gets a ludicrous amount of "compensation" for her defecations (but nonetheless still thinks her breasts are her best feature).

Well, IT'S HAPPENING NOW! :D

Soldato
You guys will have often heard me mention Aachi and Ssipak in this thread before, the Korean anime set in a postapocalyptic, energy-sparse future in which human waste is burned as fuel and the state rewards you with drus for every dump you take, in which mutant drug-addict Smurfs battle Robocop over control of the Girl with the Magical ********, who, because of some accounting error, gets a ludicrous amount of "compensation" for her defecations (but nonetheless still thinks her breasts are her best feature).

Well, IT'S HAPPENING NOW! :D

lol ... and they're right ... Toto do make some **** fine loos ...

Soldato
Meandered through a re-watch of Ladies vs Butlers late yesterday. Amusing series with lots of fanservice but does get very repetitive after a while. I did watch a couple of episodes of something else after that but for the life of me I can't remember what it was at all (must have been good).

Off topic, re-installed the downstairs HTPC yesterday (yay I can record TV again!). For Hi10p playback I dropped on the CCCP release from the end of July. With that package 10-bit playback is fine with the included MPC-HC (but not if you update to the latest beta release ... then the display issues return) and with a Haali Splitter tweak through WMP. Am having a few issues with the Plex plugin for XBMC though, (it's linking and I can see stuff but subtitles are not working at all (there constantly a OSD box popping up and flipping the subtitle stream on and off every second) ... but I haven't investigated further yet).

edit: Remembered it ... watched the first two episodes of Rio Rainbow Gate ... fairly forgettable (!) and with quite a bit of fanservice (although offset by the mediocre animation)

Last edited:
Soldato
Well I'll have to make some changes to my commute play list ... received the nano.RIPE Saibo Kioku single which has a couple of tracks which were used as insert/alternative ED songs in Hanasaku Iroha :)

Comes with a bonus DVD of a live set from nano.RIPE's tour which is quite nice.

edit: and no sooner do I post that and there's another knock on the door ... ad it's my Hanasaku Iroha Official Visual Fanbook ... really nice artbook with lots of nice pictures and information (in Japanese) on the characters and settings for the series.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nice!

Has anyone watched Fate/Zero yet?

Yes, I thought it was quite good so far (coming from a non-game perspective) and I will be interested to see how the series progresses.

More so than the other first episodes I've seen which have been pretty weak in some cases ...

edit: although episode 1 of Tamayura Hitotose was very nice and maintained the feel from last years OVAs. Episode 1 was set prior to the OVAs and was a good introduction to the main character.

edit2: Finished Rio Rainbow Gate .. ok it's a very mediocre series (not surprising given it's origins). It was slightly better than I was expecting though although for a series where they seemed to try and use fanservice to keep you interested the animation and art style just wasn't quite there, (the main characters head just didn't see right at times ... I'm not sure why it just seemed a bit off). For a anime which involves a lot of "games" I found the mahjong based Saki a lot more interesting over all compared with this.

Last edited:
Soldato
I finished both Yoiko and Durarara today.
Both were...kinda dissapointing in a way.
Yoiko, from what I'd heard before I watched it, I figured it'd be funnier, plain and simple, I just didn't find it that funny. It felt like the drying, tamer older brother of some of the sex comedies of recent, with more kids thrown in, and I just didn't think it was that good. I basically finished it to have finished it if that makes sense. Humour is going to be opinionative so I can't really mark it down based on that, animation etc has aged etc as well though, so going to probably just say 5-6/10 on that one.

Durarara is strange; its a series that has so many elements that work well, that it feels like it should 'feel' better than it is, it's almost as though almost everything is in place, but somewhere along the line it forgot to do something, I can't exactly say what, to make you really connect with it and get drawn in.
It's not a bad series, the animation isn't bad, some of the characters aren't too bad, but it did end up feeling a little cliche, even though some elements were; kinda like it kept you guess for quite a while, and then kinda got bored with that and decided to just do what you expected, and not necessarily in a good way, as I was virtually pre-guessing half the dialogue of one or two conversations at the end of the show.

Not a bad series, and definately stronger than Yoiki, but like I say, kinda felt like it was missing something, would probably say perhaps 7-8/10.

Will be nice to move on as Bakemonogatari's the next joint project with my brother, and I haven't seen most of it in over a year.
Still not decided 100% on my next solo project tho; it might be Samurai Girls, 12 Kingdoms, or something completely different. After a few slightly dry series Im hoping to find something that appeals to me a little more, might also watch Hidan no ****; it's not meant to be great, but it should be a relaxing mildly fun watch.

Soldato
Will be nice to move on as Bakemonogatari's the next joint project with my brother, and I haven't seen most of it in over a year.
Still not decided 100% on my next solo project tho; it might be Samurai Girls, 12 Kingdoms, or something completely different. After a few slightly dry series Im hoping to find something that appeals to me a little more, might also watch Hidan no ****; it's not meant to be great, but it should be a relaxing mildly fun watch.

Hidan no A__a's main issue seemed to be that being only a single cour threw it's pacing completely which made it just into a mess. Before it aired people were talking up how good it was going to be but in the end it just didn't get you engaged and didn't really feel like it had a consistent plot. If it had been longer then there would have been a chance for the characters to have been introduced better and the plot to grow instead of feeling rushed or as if things were missing.

Watched the first couple of episodes of Shinryaku!? Ika Musume season 2 ... I don't know, it really didn't grab me as much as the first season at all. The humour seemed weaker and the animation quality not as good.

May have to watch something known good next ...

edit: Post #10000 woot!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom