• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Has anyone noticed huge crashes on 21.4.1? My Windows desktop just took a big dump, freezed and went black. I had an AMD crash report pop up as well. Rebooted into Ubuntu and its fine.

Associate
Has anyone noticed huge crashes on 21.4.1? My Windows desktop just took a big dump, freezed and went black. I had an AMD crash report pop up as well. Rebooted into Ubuntu and its fine.
did you do an update or clean install of the driver? if its the former, try to ddu the driver and then do a clean install. it has helped me in the past with random crashes from driver updates.

Soldato
I've read
ah fair enough, you got an undervolt or overclock going on? its been smooth sailing touch wood on 21.5.1 for me so far.. i did have a few issues with 21.4.1 too like you but as i said a ddu cleared it up.
No.
I've read it's an issue with chrome browser as when it happened I was on the web. It seems a few peeps over on Reddit have the same bug.

Associate
Not long installed new AMD driver.
After enabling VSR and using higher resolution than my native 2560 x 1440. Now as soon as any game loads it shoves the display down into the bottom right corner and I lose half the screen,

What has happened?.

What do I need to do to get higher res but not losing screen real estate?.

Edit. Got it, it's to do with Gpu metrics Overlay size.

Last edited:
Associate

This driver does that.

My guess is that it's trying to go online and check for an update once a week, and this causes the windows kernel to become unstable. It always seems to happen just after the system has started up, which is why I believe it's probably trying to update itself, and the date for the last check in the control panel also states as much.

This has been happening in a timed manner for a few weeks, and I think also happened with the previous driver, so I have just written it off as a small, bearable bug that should hopefully get fixed in a future driver.

It also does something similar with the taskbar icon, which keeps popping up after every system start.

Soldato
This driver does that.

My guess is that it's trying to go online and check for an update once a week, and this causes the windows kernel to become unstable. It always seems to happen just after the system has started up, which is why I believe it's probably trying to update itself, and the date for the last check in the control panel also states as much.

This has been happening in a timed manner for a few weeks, and I think also happened with the previous driver, so I have just written it off as a small, bearable bug that should hopefully get fixed in a future driver.

It also does something similar with the taskbar icon, which keeps popping up after every system start.

Thanks for that.

Do you know if 21.5.1 fixes it?

Soldato
I've never had a serious crash like that in many years. I wonder could something else be the issue, perhaps an SFC /scannow from an elevated CMD prompt might fix some windows file integrity issues on your machine.

Associate
Thanks for that.

Do you know if 21.5.1 fixes it?

I haven't tried, and usually tend to stick to WHQL due to keeping Windows Fast Start Up enabled.

The majority of people on here likely keep it disabled, as is suggested in lots of optimisations guides, so probably don't face as many Windows kernel related issues

I prefer to keep it on because the amount of power and heat it keeps out of my system during boot is quite substantial, and of course because it allows most things to function as originally intended.

Once you understand the nature of the issue, which I appreciate isn't a simple task in many cases, it's more of a nuisance that I would simply just wait out.

Associate
I've had a few crashes recently, which is annoying to say the least. I have already updated my Radeon Software to 21.5.1, firstly using the AMD cleanup utility, before installing the downloaded software from AMD. The crashes didn't follow any particular pattern or time usage, or using any particular software or game. The PC just freezes with the mouse pointer freezing and and you can't do anything. The PC then reboots by itself and when you get into Windows, the AMD Radeon Software icon is missing from the taskbar notification area. Looking at the device manager, its shows that my 6900XT is disabled. Enabling it gives a yellow triangle saying no drivers found!

So reboot, still the same. Complete a cleanup and install the drivers again and all is back to normal. A few days later and it happens again!

I have a small 5 inch screen as a second screen showing my PC stats, temps, GPU temps, clock speeds etc. I have never been able to get the FPS item in the the software I use for the screen, to work in games (I know there is a the overlay in the AMD software). So after doing some research on the AIDA64 forums and people were saying use RivaTuner to get the FPS to show up, I installed that and it worked like a charm in the AIDA64 software and in games. That's when I started to get issues. Urm, this maybe the culprit, so I stopped it from starting when Windows starts, and touch wood no more crashes. Shame really, as I can't use the FPS graph on my small monitor now. (better then crashes I suppose ;) )

Anyone else have issues with RivaTuner???

The other issue I had was this morning, when the AMD Radeon Software icon was missing from the taskbar notification area. I hadn't had a crash as I had just booted and hadn't noticed anything wrong. Even clicking the start menu AMD Radeon Software icon didn't do anything, so I couldn't access the software. Checking the device manager showed that the 6900XT was working correctly.

So some more research, found that if I went into "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\AMD" and delete the CN folder I would get access to the software again. I did just that and the icon returned to the tray and access was back. The CN folder was obviously rebuilt when the software was open, as my game states etc have gone from the stats area of the software. A small price to pay to get access to the software again and not have to reinstall it yet again! But its just a work around, should it happen again, not sure if this is a think that just happens??

Has anyone had any issues with the this happening and what did you do to resolve it??

I sent in a bug report for all the issues I have had.

I have been an Nvidia user for many years, having gone from AMD to Nvidia, when the driver sets were just awful and I got sick of the issues. This is many years ago mind. I have recently come back to AMD as my PC is AMD orientated and the 6000 series cards are a massive leap forward.

Raz

Raz

Soldato
Is there a problem with the Radeon software not launching? I've uninstalled, reinstalled and restarted but can't get it to load, meaning I can't get any profiles, fan settings etc to work.

Any ideas?

* Just to add, was working fine yesterday, no updates or anything today it's just stopped working.

Soldato
Is there a problem with the Radeon software not launching? I've uninstalled, reinstalled and restarted but can't get it to load, meaning I can't get any profiles, fan settings etc to work.

Any ideas?

* Just to add, was working fine yesterday, no updates or anything today it's just stopped working.
Try the following, it's worked for me in the past:

Go into your AppData/Local/AMD/CN and delete your gmdb.blb, then restart the program or relog/restart your PC to have your Radeon Settings launching again.

Associate
Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.2 Highlights

Support For

• Days Gone
  • Microsoft® DirectX® 12 Agility SDK & Microsoft® Shader Model 6.6
    • Learn more from AMD here and Microsoft here.
Fixed Issues
  • Uninstalling or upgrading Radeon Software using the factory reset option may delete AMD chipset driver folders if they are stored in the same directory as the Radeon Software installation. Users who wish to perform a factory reset are recommended to use the latest AMD cleanup utility instead.
  • Cyberpunk 2077™ may experience shadow corruption on Radeon RX 6000 series graphics when ray tracing is enabled.
  • Intermittent loss of signal during AMD Link’s Stream Optimization if HEVC is used on Radeon RX 5000 series graphics products or later.
  • The download or launch Ryzen Master buttons in Radeon Software may intermittently disappear or may fail to initialize Ryzen Master.
  • FPS logging may log incorrectly or fail to log on RyzenTM Mobile 4000 series and RyzenTM Mobile 5000 series.
  • Radeon Software may experience a crash when Record & Stream tab is in use and a display is hot plugged.
Known Issues
  • Radeon™ Software might not get updated on Windows 7 platforms when updating from 21.4.1 or 21.5.2 to this release, if factory reset is enabled. As a workaround, users who wish to perform a factory reset are recommended to use the latest AMD cleanup utility instead.
  • Resident Evil Village™ may experience an intermittent application hang or TDR on AMD Radeon VII graphics products in the first mission of the game.
  • Enhanced Sync may cause a black screen to occur when enabled on some games and system configurations. Any users who may be experiencing issues with Enhanced Sync enabled should disable it as a temporary workaround.
  • Connecting two displays with large differences in resolution/refresh rates may cause flickering on Radeon RX Vega series graphics products.
  • Radeon performance metrics and logging features may intermittently report extremely high and incorrect memory clock values.
  • Radeon FreeSync™ may intermittently become locked while on desktop after performing task switching between extended and primary displays upon closing a game, causing poor performance or stuttering. A system restart is a potential workaround if this is experienced.
  • If Ryzen Master is not detected in Adrenalin software after installation, a system restart may be required.
  • If Blue or Black screen is observed in mobile systems, temporarily disable Enhanced sign-in
AMD Link for Windows Known Issues
  • Intermittent grey frame corruption might be observed when streaming with HEVC on certain configurations via an Internet connection. A workaround is to use the AVC encoding setting instead.
Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.2 installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 21.5.2 Driver Version 21.10.03.08 for Windows 10 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.21003.8013) and 21.09.03.08 for Windows 7 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.20903.8001).
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-21-5-2

Associate
Whats the best driver stable wise for 5700XT Nitro, all these new ones im having issues black screen, crashes. Warzone Ani Lag stutters like crazy anyone be able to help?

I've not had an issue since around 20.8.x or 20.9.x (can't remember which series was a problem for me) with the same card, and I've installed most of them since then as they've become available.

Which specific drivers are you having problems with?

Back
Top Bottom