• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Anyone else getting small freezes with the mouse pointer when opening up Youtube or websites with certain content on latest 17.8.2 driver? Not sure if it's specific to Vega but it wasn't doing this on the old drivers. It's annoying as hell.

Also, sometimes I have no option to record using HEVC encoding in Relive, and trying to record doesn't do anything. I see the recording symbol briefly flash up the top left of the screen for like a millisecond, but nothing starts recording and nothing saves to the designated folder.

Soldato
Anyone else getting small freezes with the mouse pointer when opening up Youtube or websites with certain content on latest 17.8.2 driver? Not sure if it's specific to Vega but it wasn't doing this on the old drivers. It's annoying as hell.

Also, sometimes I have no option to record using HEVC encoding in Relive, and trying to record doesn't do anything. I see the recording symbol briefly flash up the top left of the screen for like a millisecond, but nothing starts recording and nothing saves to the designated folder.

Just been reading on reddit users experience stutter from latest Chrome update with hardware acceleration enabled. Nvidia users also reported stutter..

Nothing happening for me but I do have hardware acceleration disabled.

Soldato
Getting the same issue with 17.8.1 drivers using Microsoft Edge and regardless of which profile is active in Wattman. Can't see where to disable hardware acceleration in Edge...

Soldato
I wonder if that slider they have in vega Balance/Turbo etc can be supported by older cards?

Its a cool idea, but im sure needs a lot of work to do.
It's just the same as moving a power target slider in Afterburner no?

Balanced is 100%, Power Saver is 75%, and Turbo is 115%.

Hence those settings with a V64 giving 220w, 165w, 253w on BIOS1 and 200w, 150w, 230w on BIOS2.

Associate
... Can't see where to disable hardware acceleration in Edge...

I think its tied to Internet Explorer options, try this:

Type windows + R
Then type inetcpl.cpl and press enter
Then you will see internet properties.
Go to advanced options.
Scroll down until you see "Use software rendering instead GPU rendering" and check that box.
Save changes
and restart edge.

Last edited:
Associate
So, i'm using 17.8.2 with Vega 64 liquid.

I'm finding that it's the power limit which increases sustained clockspeed. So my wattman settings are set Custom. Default clock speeds, so 1667 & 1752 in state 6 & 7. Mems stable at 1025Mhz.

If I use 0% power limit then, it throttles like crazy and I end up around 1650Mhz on the core. But it is stable like this.

If I put power limit @ 50% then it will hit the 1750 core and then settle between 1725 - 1740. But it's not stable like this. It will black screen then reset after few minutes.

So after some playing I am stable on those clocks 1667-1752 with an 17% power limit. Core will settle around 1700Mhz and this seems to be stable.

I have left all the voltages to auto for now due to lack of accurate monitoring software.

Overall I am happy with the performance. It is giving me the performance I had in Fury X crossfire or thereabouts but with one card!

It has allowed me to up my resolution from 5760x1080 to 7860x1440. I was playing Prey and its getting 35-50 FPS with Very high settings. Perfectly playable as my freesync does 35-60hz.

Once crossfire is enabled I will definitely be giving 11858x2160 a go :)

Bring it on! :D

Associate

Do you have any GPU polling apps running in the background? The below is in the known issues of release notes for 17.8.2.

Known Issues

• Mouse stuttering may be observed on some Radeon RX graphics products when Radeon WattMan is open and running in the background or other third party GPU information polling apps are running in the background.

Last edited:
Associate
So, i'm using 17.8.2 with Vega 64 liquid.

I'm finding that it's the power limit which increases sustained clockspeed. So my wattman settings are set Custom. Default clock speeds, so 1667 & 1752 in state 6 & 7. Mems stable at 1025Mhz.

If I use 0% power limit then, it throttles like crazy and I end up around 1650Mhz on the core. But it is stable like this.

If I put power limit @ 50% then it will hit the 1750 core and then settle between 1725 - 1740. But it's not stable like this. It will black screen then reset after few minutes.

So after some playing I am stable on those clocks 1667-1752 with an 17% power limit. Core will settle around 1700Mhz and this seems to be stable.

I have left all the voltages to auto for now due to lack of accurate monitoring software.

Overall I am happy with the performance. It is giving me the performance I had in Fury X crossfire or thereabouts but with one card!

It has allowed me to up my resolution from 5760x1080 to 7860x1440. I was playing Prey and its getting 35-50 FPS with Very high settings. Perfectly playable as my freesync does 35-60hz.

Once crossfire is enabled I will definitely be giving 11858x2160 a go :)

Bring it on! :D

tumblr_ls6yd1ndRI1qeo6bto1_250.gif

Soldato
I think its tied to Internet Explorer options, try this:

Type windows + R
Then type inetcpl.cpl and press enter
Then you will see internet properties.
Go to advanced options.
Scroll down until you see "Use software rendering instead GPU rendering" and check that box.
Save changes
and restart edge.
Awesome thank you, worked a treat! I updated to 17.8.2 and for the first few hours I wasn't getting the freezing issue but then it started again last night and it was doing my head right in. Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Associate
It's just the same as moving a power target slider in Afterburner no?

Balanced is 100%, Power Saver is 75%, and Turbo is 115%.

Hence those settings with a V64 giving 220w, 165w, 253w on BIOS1 and 200w, 150w, 230w on BIOS2.

Well i dont like to use 3rd party program's...i would love to have everything in Radeon Panel.

I dont know if that slider is possible,but is a nice addition,
dunno what matt has to say about that.

Back
Top Bottom