• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Nonsense.

We are here participants in an enthusiasts forum. I don't think that any normal enthusiast today plays at 1920x1080 (it's low end today).

Like I said, nothing "holds you back" if that's how you're happy to game and the that's what the vast majority of gamers are doing @ 1080p...

Oh and by the way as others have stated just because you're not rocking a 4K monitor and the 1K GPU it doesn't mean you're not an enthusiast or a gamer.

Permabanned
Like I said, nothing "holds you back" if that's how you're happy to game and the that's what the vast majority of gamers are doing @ 1080p...

Oh and by the way as others have stated just because you're not rocking a 4K monitor and the 1K GPU it doesn't mean you're not an enthusiast or a gamer.

The vast majority of gamers either cannot afford, or don't understand the benefits, or have never tried 4K. It is a really sad state of affairs in the PC industry which lacks any meaningful innovation like the smartphone business achieved back 10 or more years ago going to Retina-class displays.

Of course, that gaming at 1080p holds these gamers back. Because they don't see the true image quality. In gaming, higher resolution is always better. And there is absolutely no reason to stop the progress at 1080p and like I have said - to stay forever married to it.

These gamers are not enthusiasts. Most of them are light, casual gamers, that sometimes buy heavily overpriced graphics cards and processors, and think that they have a lot.
Well, they don't and definitely are not enthusiasts.

The enthusiast segment doesn't include only 1K GPUs, but also 650-ish GPUs.

Enthusiasts are people who always stay with something state-of-the-art.
1080p is a resolution first used back in the 90s.

Associate
If a definition of a gaming enthusiastic also includes the size of their wallet, it's a very poor definition.

Agreed, the idea that someone's enthusiasm in a subject is based on the amount of money they've spent on it is just laughable.

History enthusiast? Really....? How much your time machine cost?

Soldato
The vast majority of gamers either cannot afford, or don't understand the benefits, or have never tried 4K. It is a really sad state of affairs in the PC industry which lacks any meaningful innovation like the smartphone business achieved back 10 or more years ago going to Retina-class displays.

Of course, that gaming at 1080p holds these gamers back. Because they don't see the true image quality. In gaming, higher resolution is always better. And there is absolutely no reason to stop the progress at 1080p and like I have said - to stay forever married to it.

These gamers are not enthusiasts. Most of them are light, casual gamers, that sometimes buy heavily overpriced graphics cards and processors, and think that they have a lot.
Well, they don't and definitely are not enthusiasts.

The enthusiast segment doesn't include only 1K GPUs, but also 650-ish GPUs.

Enthusiasts are people who always stay with something state-of-the-art.
1080p is a resolution first used back in the 90s.

Sweeping generalisations, totally not backed up by any facts.

Of course 1080p isn't holding these gamers back as they're enjoying gaming anyhoo, and probably couldn't give a fig for slightly improved IQ. Nothing is preventing them from enjoying their gaming, so NOTHING is holding them back at all, as the point of pursuing a hobby is pleasure.

Just because you have a 4K display and a 1K GPU does mean you're a hardcore gamer or any more likely to spend time gaming than someone on a 1060 and a 1080p screen, the assumption that less expensive kit means you're a casual is absolute twaddle. In fact i'd argue that not being a tech enthusiast
and therefore not spending (wasting) time benching, taking screenshots, faffing with settings, and arguing the toss on forums about GPU's, DLSS and RT, actually leaves the gamer more time to game...

As others have also noted your argument that the more you spend the more dedicated or hardcore a gamer you are is complete rubbish.

Back
Top Bottom