• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: ** The AMD VEGA Thread **

On or off the hype train?

• (off) Train has derailed

Votes: 207 39.2%
  • (on) Overcrowding, standing room only

Votes: 100 18.9%
  • (never ever got on) Chinese escalator

Votes: 221 41.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Not surprised about there being no live stream as there have been no details about it. Crazy though. Really hope they do not mess this launch up, which is looking more likely by the minute :(
It's just an announcement not a launch. :/ We'll probably just get to see specs/slides and no real benchmarks done by reputable objective sites.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
My God these cards are massive!!?? What the hell happened to HBM cards not needing so much pcb space???
I get the feeling it could be a marketing thing as maybe they got feedback that showed people preferred bigger cards. But no doubt eventually there will be a small variants or a nano also where they will charge a premium for.

It's just an announcement not a launch. :/ We'll probably just get to see specs/slides and no real benchmarks done by reputable objective sites.
So launch is when then, H1 2018? :p

We have not even had Gibbo giving us a wink so I suppose it is over a week away yet.

Soldato
Are we so sure it won't be, or at least be very close to that?

Let's look at the facts we do know
  • Vega FE pulls on average 275 Watt with 16GB HBM2 VRAM.
  • Vega RX will have half the VRAM of FE, which will reduce overall power consumption.
  • Vega RX by this fact alone should consume less power than Vega FE.
Now for my own assumptions :)

As we can see, without any other power saving changes, Vega RX could be ~250W. Now assuming (as rumoured) there are other power saving features not enabled in FE, it could bring RX power consumption down to the 225 Watt target posted above. Having said that, maybe it will be best to wait until Vega RX specs are released before making any conclusions. ;)

Also remember AMD is using both Samsung and Hynix HBM2 and the FE is probably using high density Samsung modules.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=5457057&postcount=1840

"AMD Radeon RX Vega: $499
AMD Radeon RX Vega Limited Edition Model: $549
AMD Radeon RX Vega Liquid Cooler Model: $599
AMD Radeon RX Vega Liquid Cooler Limited Edition Model: $649

Source: Newegg https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ega&Submit=ENE

Update: they remove it
"
So pricing is below a GTX1080TI but above a GTX1080??
Hmm.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP

"
Unless they are beating 1080 at everything and close to 1080ti, then it seems $100 too much. But we will see.

$599 will mean £575 at the cheapest. But Gibbo can be greedy so if stocks are low he will charge £599 at the least. It would need to beat the 1080Ti in at least AMD games for me to pay that personally.

Soldato
Unless they are beating 1080 at everything and close to 1080ti, then it seems $100 too much. But we will see.

$599 will mean £575 at the cheapest. But Gibbo can be greedy so if stocks are low he will charge £599 at the least. It would need to beat the 1080Ti in at least AMD games for me to pay that personally.
If it's half between both cards it might make more sense especially since £599 would be for a water cooled card and water cooled GTX1080 cards are not cheap IIRC.

Soldato

"

Round about what most rational people expected as cheapest aftermarket 1080 on Newegg is just over $500. At these prices stock RX Vega needs to trade blows with, or be slightly faster than 1080 in DX11 and show a decent improvement over 1080 in DX12/Vulkan. At the prices above I would find that level of performance acceptable.

Though it has been laughable seeing so many morons posting it was going to be $1000 based on zero credible evidence. Most of them forgetting ignoring that Vega FE is already that price with twice the VRAM.

Last edited:
Associate
I get the feeling it could be a marketing thing as maybe they got feedback that showed people preferred bigger cards. But no doubt eventually there will be a small variants or a nano also where they will charge a premium for.

So launch is when then, H1 2018? :p

We have not even had Gibbo giving us a wink so I suppose it is over a week away yet.

looks like its 20 days away... they have just launched a sweepstakes... result to be announced after 20 days

Associate

If true, that price is pretty great for a liquid cooled GPU with ~GTX 1080 performance. Wouldn't pay full price though as you can score second hand GTX 1080s for much less.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
OP
If it's half between both cards it might make more sense especially since £599 would be for a water cooled card and water cooled GTX1080 cards are not cheap IIRC.

But dude, AMD need to be coming in improving price for performance, not giving us more of the same. Otherwise they are no better than nvidia in that regard and happy take their customers from behind. People laugh at Nvidia saying they are milking us and get the lube ready, if AMD charge the same price as them months even over a year after Pascal then it is hugely disappointing.

Soldato
I guess the liquid is most reliable performance but I think the only especially good price might be the cut down air version and thats a maybe. If it has the features and potential of its big bro even with less power its probably the highest value

Big from 12 phase power which is not needed maybe. Heres the Frontier PCB, the bulk comes from trying to get rid of the heat inefficently.
I do think they will refine vega and it wont be like the 580 refresh but quite a different card
GQDOySE.jpg

Was there any pics of not Limited edition cards. The most ordinary details is probably more interesting, we can already buy Frontier so not sure a shiny special card is news now but the bog standard card produced in masses would be.

GGqUL0F.jpg
DF8i3GWXgAAGv5_.jpg
DF8i19HXUAAgxTN.jpg

Holocube is an open sided box which displays a 3D appearing image within it. I think its like a pro feature to visualise design products, like instant 3d print/animate model

Last edited:
Associate
But dude, AMD need to be coming in improving price for performance, not giving us more of the same. Otherwise they are no better than nvidia in that regard and happy take their customers from behind. People laugh at Nvidia saying they are milking us and get the lube ready, if AMD charge the same price as them months even over a year after Pascal then it is hugely disappointing.

good observation.. but i would say nvidia milking at an altogether different level... the 1080 must be making insane margins from them.. its just a 7bn transistor chip even smaller than the maxwell... so theres good chance that after the vega launch nvidia might soon announce a big drop on the 1080 which might further impact vega prices.. eitherways i am not complaining :D

or knowing nvidia they might steal amd's limelight at siggraph by announcing consumer volta... oh that would be insane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom