• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Soldato
Welp, time to say goodbye to my PSU. Had another game crash today, tested everything, all is green. Decided to test PSU load, my GPU is pulling 500w peaks, my 850w PSU just isn't up to the task. Ordered a 1200w replacement. Oh well!

Associate
Not had any crashes yet with my RM750x, I probably made a good decision to go with the 5600X as it's only 65W.
What CPU are you using agnes?

Soldato
Not had any crashes yet with my RM750x, I probably made a good decision to go with the 5600X as it's only 65W.
What CPU are you using agnes?

i9 9900k @5.2Ghz on all cores, that, plus a plethora of 120 fans for radiators, WC pump, Aquacomputer board, top end sound card (requires direct power from PSU). All of that, and then not to mention my 3090 is at max power target and overclocked to 2.1Ghz on the core and 20ghz memory (have tested OC's extensively and even tested without, card is solid). I think at peak, my PSU simply can't keep up with the system :(

So with all of the above, CPU and GPU alone are 620w draw under load on average :(

Last edited:
Soldato
i9 9900k @5.2Ghz on all cores, that, plus a plethora of 120 fans for radiators, WC pump, Aquacomputer board, top end sound card (requires direct power from PSU). All of that, and then not to mention my 3090 is at max power target and overclocked to 2.1Ghz on the core and 20ghz memory (have tested OC's extensively and even tested without, card is solid). I think at peak, my PSU simply can't keep up with the system :(
Have you got a watt meter to see how much you're pulling at the wall?

Soldato
From memory my setup is similar to yours minus the sound card and that will pull around 650-700w at the wall while gaming.

Interesting, I doubt I'm pulling more than 800, but I'm sure the efficiency is reduced at the higher figures. Probably around 80%. Again, worst case, the crashes don't stop and I rule out the PSU and start long term stress testing individual components. I already did a 3 hour long memory stress test today and it came back clean.

Associate
Anyone know how many watts are required for the card to literally NEVER drop below 2000mhz? I'm running 450watts now on a Suprem-X Bios and still under heaviest load in 3d mark it's possible to hit power limit and clock down to 1950mhz at 100% usage.

Actually I'm thinking this might simply be temperature doing this. Hmm gotta keep card under 59c somehow...........Going to retry that exact test with 100% fan speed.

Given that I've seen ~345 W in the right circumstances even when running at 1800 MHz @ 800 mV, to get guaranteed 2000 MHz at all times then you'd need well north of a 500 W power limit. Less would be enough in most situation, but there's always an outlier.

IMO, I'm not convinced the increased power limits are worth it. In most real situations you can get a good clock even at 350/400 W. The amount of voltage you have to pump once you exceed ~1950 MHz means that you usually spend a ton of power for barely anything.

Same thing with the questionable overclocks you see. 3090s unmodded at 2100 or even 2200 MHz claimed. Funny when you see them post a 3D mark run and their average clock speed is down in the 1900s!

Soldato
Given that I've seen ~345 W in the right circumstances even when running at 1800 MHz @ 800 mV, to get guaranteed 2000 MHz at all times then you'd need well north of a 500 W power limit. Less would be enough in most situation, but there's always an outlier.

IMO, I'm not convinced the increased power limits are worth it. In most real situations you can get a good clock even at 350/400 W. The amount of voltage you have to pump once you exceed ~1950 MHz means that you usually spend a ton of power for barely anything.

Same thing with the questionable overclocks you see. 3090s unmodded at 2100 or even 2200 MHz claimed. Funny when you see them post a 3D mark run and their average clock speed is down in the 1900s!

Thermal throttling will do that! Thankfully, with it under water, it's consistent. I think I've seen it drop to 2010 at one point after a long session. If this solves the problem, I'll consider it a bonus as I'll also get additional silence rather than the poor little 850 crying with fan scream under load :D

Associate
Try also undervolting slightly. I find that if you smash the voltage, the card will bounce off the power limit and dip harder. Usually lowering voltage means you won't peak as high, but will not hit the power limit and dip up and down as much.
Overall in games does not matter as you don't draw full power (bar a few RT games)

Crank up the fan speed. Also try messing with the voltage curve. Can sometimes get better results by not trying to go absolutely all out in performance and smash off the power limit.

Thanks. What software do you use?. I've only been looking at afterburner so far

Associate
Thermal throttling will do that! Thankfully, with it under water, it's consistent. I think I've seen it drop to 2010 at one point after a long session. If this solves the problem, I'll consider it a bonus as I'll also get additional silence rather than the poor little 850 crying with fan scream under load :D

A lot of it is game dependant. 3090 FEs tend to full load at ~70c and the curve only lowers down by 15 MHz between 40 and 70c. What does help on water is that lower GPU temps consume less power. A 3090 running 30 C hotter (water vs air) leads to about a 15-20 W power increase just from the increased heat. That's enough to eek a little bit more out of them too :)

Soldato

That's why when people mention overclock its worth highlighting in exactly what scenario. different games and benchmarks draw different levels of power, Thats what will limit things. Good example is my own 3090FE. I can actually hit 2205Mhz with it and day to day have 2100 Mhz on something like Assassins creed Valhalla and COD for me with a undervolt at 4k maxed in the games as the power draw does not hit the limit 340w or so. However with same overclock, as you say it will drop much lower in something like a benchmark as i will smash into a power limit. Then it becomes a question of what you count and compare as an overclock. Do you count the overclock you get day in day out for for most your own gaming or the time or when you benchmark etc.

With Ampere this seems to be the case more then other gens so good to compare apples to apples for overclocks.

Thanks. What software do you use?. I've only been looking at afterburner so far

I use MSI AB aswell. If you have not, will need to unlock the voltage control and monitoring in the options area. After that will let you play with the voltage curve.

Soldato
how many my frames are we talking about with overclocking your card the instability doesnt seem to be worth it to me.

Overclocking should never bring in instability. If it does, you've got a unstable overclock and you need to work on it more.

Once you actually have a stable overclock, it all depends on what figures you settle on.

This is a Guru3D 3090 OC test to give you an idea.
index.php

HRL

HRL

Soldato
how many my frames are we talking about with overclocking your card the instability doesnt seem to be worth it to me.

It was worth it with my 2080Ti as it couldn’t quite cut it at 4K/60. A big OC overcame that in some titles.

Thankfully the 3090FE doesn’t suffer the same affliction and other than CP2077, I’ve yet to find any game I’ve got that doesn’t surpass that at stock.

However, we all like freebies and if you can rinse a little more performance out of your kit for a little time and effort, why wouldn’t you try.

Soldato
It was worth it with my 2080Ti as it couldn’t quite cut it at 4K/60. A big OC overcame that in some titles.

Thankfully the 3090FE doesn’t suffer the same affliction and other than CP2077, I’ve yet to find any game I’ve got that doesn’t surpass that at stock.

However, we all like freebies and if you can rinse a little more performance out of your kit for a little time and effort, why wouldn’t you try.

Couldn't have said it better my self. Personally, I don't care for the performance increase that much. I just enjoy pushing the hardware to it's limits. Granted, I'll drop back 10-15% off the max stable OC for long term usage. But I just like to see what I can push my system to.

Soldato

Like others mentioned, if your unstable, you have an issue with your overlock.

However its worth tweaking and learning behaviour of and I imagine most enjoy dabling, more so if you get into undervolting and Min/maxing. For example I mentioned 2.1 Ghz as my daily profile for games I play. Thats with an slight undervolt compared to stock of 1.013v when playing AC valhalla. For my card at stock it will drink 1.062v or there abouts at stock while clock speeds hit around 1985 mhz then taper down to around 1955 Mhz or so. So in effect I get about 6-7% extra ingame performance but I also draw on average about 10w-15w or so less power (differs game to game of course). To me thats win win and i learnt the behaviour of my card on the way.

Soldato
Like others mentioned, if your unstable, you have an issue with your overlock.

However its worth tweaking and learning behaviour of and I imagine most enjoy dabling, more so if you get into undervolting and Min/maxing. For example I mentioned 2.1 Ghz as my daily profile for games I play. Thats with an slight undervolt compared to stock of 1.013v when playing AC valhalla. For my card at stock it will drink 1.062v or there abouts at stock while clock speeds hit around 1985 mhz then taper down to around 1955 Mhz or so. So in effect I get about 6-7% extra ingame performance but I also draw on average about 10w-15w or so less power (differs game to game of course). To me thats win win and i learnt the behaviour of my card on the way.

This ^, specially at this level of hardware. I wonder how many people have had GPU's starting to fail because of memory artifacting. Which with 10 mins of overclocking, you can replicate and learn exactly what causes the artifacting. It's good to know all of this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom