• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Associate
The best power phases but restricted in bios. The strix draws and uses a lot more power. The review you got that chart from put the strix 1st and the FE mid table. They even put the MSI above the FE.
Eh, I prefer buying a product based on the components used on the board rather than the artificial limits on power which can always be overridden, not spending £1.6K+ on something with subpar power delivery.

Soldato
Eh, I prefer buying a product based on the components used on the board rather than the artificial limits on power which can always be overridden, not spending £1.6K+ on something with subpar power delivery.

Well you should have purchased the Palit GameRock then if that's the case, it beats the FE in every way with it's components even with it's silly light show ;).. That's why I own 2 of them (3090s). They have the best VRM 22 phases with higher amps per phase than the Strix and FE. Wait and see when the reviews and tear downs come out. ;). Hardware Unboxed has the 3080 version tear down in his review but the 3080 has only 21VRM compared to the 3090 with 22VRM and both on the custom board. There is one review by a lady for the 3090 GameRock OC and go watch it, it clocks higher than any card so far reviewed. It comes with a 420w bios that can be changed to a 500w one without anything ever going bang. ;). Reality time now anything above 400w makes very little difference to gaming for benching it will show some difference yes but that's people that bench and not game. Mine are set to the 370w BIOS and both have the 420w BIOS too that is the OC version, I have one OC version and one not, but flashed the one without the OC BIOS and works fine too, so both basically now OC models.

Even the none OC model is not ref clocks and has 370w limit out of the box and highest clocks out of the box for a none OC model.

No one really cares what the card looks like in most cases that have no windows anyways or they end up water cooled.

Also to add why I didn't want a FE is we have 4 of them at work and half of them whine and one has a noisy fan. I hate cards that whine and didn't want to risk it even if the FE was cheaper and looks better.

Last edited:
Associate
Well you should have purchased the Palit GameRock then if that's the case, it beats the FE in every way with it's components even with it's silly light show ;).. That's why I own 2 of them (3090s). They have the best VRM 22 phases with higher amps per phase than the Strix and FE. Wait and see when the reviews and tear downs come out. ;). Hardware Unboxed has the 3080 version tear down in his review but the 3080 has only 21VRM compared to the 3090 with 22VRM and both on the custom board.

No one really cares what the card looks like in most cases that have no windows anyways or they end up water cooled.

Also to add why I didn't want a FE is we have 4 of them at work and half of them whine and one has a noisy fan. I hate cards that whine and didn't want to risk it even if the FE was cheaper and looks better.
Let's be real here, it should've just been NVIDIA, not partner cards, they ruined the potential workstation look of it with annoying lights and 'GAME ON'.

Just gotta wait for titan rtx now.

Soldato
Let's be real here, it should've just been NVIDIA, not partner cards, they ruined the potential workstation look of it with annoying lights and 'GAME ON'.

Just gotta wait for titan rtx now.
Yup wait for the titan that will be £3k this time for sure.

BTW I edited my post above with more info. ;) enjoy your card mate the FE is really nice and with a 400w (with 2x 8pins threw the 12pin) limit too which is more than enough for these Ampere chips to get to very decent real world over clocks where you see a difference in gaming, forget going crazy on the OC there is no point as you will see 1 frame if you are lucky after using more than 370-380w in power limit. Anything above 380w is for benching not real world use as you won't see a difference in gaming. Unless you think 1/4 of a frame more is worth it after that.

Remember some cards have 3x8pin too so don't go crazy with bios flashing with high limits as you will fry your FE, it really is only 2 x 8pin.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup wait for the titan that will be £3k this time for sure.

BTW I edited my post above with more info. ;) enjoy your card mate the FE is really nice and with a 400w (with 2x 8pins threw the 12pin) limit too which is more than enough for these Ampere chips to get to very decent real world over clocks where you see a difference in gaming, forget going crazy on the OC there is no point as you will see 1 frame if you are lucky after using more than 370-380w in power limit. Anything above 380 is for benching not real world use as you won't see a difference in gaming. Unless you think 1/4 of a frame more is worth it after that.

Remember some cards have 3x8pin too so don't go crazy with bios flashing with high limits as you will fry your FE, it really is only 2 x 8pin.
I tried buying two FE's as now more video applications are scaling with mGPU but website said no, lol. Two FE's would look nice.

Soldato
I tried buying two FE's as now more video applications are scaling with mGPU but website said no, lol. Two FE's would look nice.
Yup they do look nice and they exhaust more air out of the case too, I wanted 2 of them originally but after seeing tear down headaches I said nope and the whine on some of them.

Soldato

3090 oc version 22 vrm and 2 sets of MLCC at back

3080 version with 21 vrm, shows a tear down, but the cards now come with 2 sets of MLCC at back not one as shown here, was a early sample.

Soldato
Well you should have purchased the Palit GameRock then if that's the case, it beats the FE in every way with it's components even with it's silly light show ;).. That's why I own 2 of them (3090s). They have the best VRM 22 phases with higher amps per phase than the Strix and FE. Wait and see when the reviews and tear downs come out. ;). Hardware Unboxed has the 3080 version tear down in his review but the 3080 has only 21VRM compared to the 3090 with 22VRM and both on the custom board. There is one review by a lady for the 3090 GameRock OC and go watch it, it clocks higher than any card so far reviewed. It comes with a 420w bios that can be changed to a 500w one without anything ever going bang. ;). Reality time now anything above 400w makes very little difference to gaming for benching it will show some difference yes but that's people that bench and not game. Mine are set to the 370w BIOS and both have the 420w BIOS too that is the OC version, I have one OC version and one not, but flashed the one without the OC BIOS and works fine too, so both basically now OC models.

Even the none OC model is not ref clocks and has 370w limit out of the box and highest clocks out of the box for a none OC model.

Palit has this ability to not look good physically but actually perform really well. I have the gamingpro non oc version and this clocks really well compared to a few others i've tested against though i've got mine underwater now so it clocks even higher. Just a shame the bios thats on it is limited to 370w. Is your GameRock a 2x8pin or 3x8pin?

Edit: nvm just seen the video posted its 3x8pin!

Soldato
Palit has this ability to not look good physically but actually perform really well. I have the gamingpro non oc version and this clocks really well compared to a few others i've tested against though i've got mine underwater now so it clocks even higher. Just a shame the bios thats on it is limited to 370w. Is your GameRock a 2x8pin or 3x8pin?

It has 3 x 8pin, watch the videos above I posted and it has a custom board not reference.

I always buy EVGA classifieds or KingPins and honestly this card is built better than any EVGA I ever had and funny part the FTW3 Ultra is one of the worst for components this time and a stupid price to go with it.

It's one of the best cards build wise I ever have had and it's all metal apart from the gems stuck to the metal shroud. I was actually shocked when I opened the box, they look so much nicer in real life and even the silly light show is really nice and I hate RGB. I was even thinking to get a case with a window I was that impressed and may still do that and set it to a white theme or some nice single colour theme.

I really think Palit is aiming for the high end market now with their custom board cards and targeting the big boys. Honestly when I purchased the first one my heart sank, but I needed a 3090 and I knew it had one of the best VRM and components, when I got it I was so happy I did and ordered a another one by accident , because was trying to buy my brother one at same time he was trying, we both got one at same time, so I ended up with two, but was happy to keep it, that's how good they are and I could have returned it for a full refund, but thought naa another system or try SLI.

Last edited:
Soldato
It has 3 x 8pin, watch the videos above I posted and it has a custom board not reference.

I always buy EVGA classifieds or KingPins and honestly this card is built better than any EVGA I ever had and funny part the FTW3 Ultra is one of the worst for components this time and a stupid price to go with it. It's one of the best cards build wise I ever have had and it's all metal apart from the gems stuck to the metal shroud. I was actually shocked when I opened the box, they look so much nicer in real life and even the silly light show is really nice and I hate RGB. I was even thinking to get a case with a window I was that impressed and may still do that and set it to a white theme or some nice single colour theme.
Same the gamingpro looks awful with the Green lighting at the front, it doesn't do it justice at all but when you have it in your hand its really well built. It's still a cheaper plastic shroud but nice to see the backplate is metal, adjust the RGB to suit the theme and it looks decent.

Back
Top Bottom