• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Soldato
It most certainly has been a long four days! Cant wait to get the 2080 out as it needs sent in for repair/replacement as a bearing is going in one of the fans, the noise is awfull when the fan hits 80%.
Did it come??? Hope you got your card!

These new drivers have certainly improved things, just had a solid session on Project cars 3. Clocks and voltage were locked solid and stayed at 2055 core clock, had it overclocked to +100 and 400 mem, locked to 144fps with high settings with full clarity AA. Silky smooth gameplay! I couldn't get this yesterday with the previous drivers as it kept black screening randomly then coming back, made it unplayable with fps fluctuating around 100-110fps.

Such a huge difference to my 2080 which could barely keep 50fps on the same settings! Things can only get better i think :)

Caporegime
Looks like you won the silicon lottery with that card. Amazing how many times Ive ended up with top end decent overclocking boards with Palit.

Last edited:
Soldato
Looks like you one the silicon lottery with that card. Amazing how many times Ive ended up with top end decent overclocking boards with Palit.
I'm quite surprised too, i was certain it would crash out but started slowly and worked my way up the core slider. I reckon i might be able to push it further still, not so much with the memory with the memory corrections happening behind the scenes but maybe the core upto +120 is possible.

Also to note, no CTD's :)

Associate
Did it come??? Hope you got your card!

These new drivers have certainly improved things, just had a solid session on Project cars 3. Clocks and voltage were locked solid and stayed at 2055 core clock, had it overclocked to +100 and 400 mem, locked to 144fps with high settings with full clarity AA. Silky smooth gameplay! I couldn't get this yesterday with the previous drivers as it kept black screening randomly then coming back, made it unplayable with fps fluctuating around 100-110fps.

Such a huge difference to my 2080 which could barely keep 50fps on the same settings! Things can only get better i think :)

VA27SPb

She sure did! What a beast of a card coming from a 2080 RTX. Will try some proper overclocking tomorrow as my quick card swap did not happen. THE gpu power connectors on my 2080 were the other way round which then meant i had to take the comp apart round the back so i could have a nice neat cable job or my ocd would be kicking in. I too am a bit of a sim racer mostly ACC. I did a quick bench with F1 2020 in 4K ultra settings and all i can say is WOW! 192 fps in 4k with zero gpu overclocking. I am now hitting around 50-60 fps when flying around Manhattan in the TBM in 4k with all settings on high. To say i am chuffed is an understatement!

No Haribo in my box either!

Will let them off since i got the card so quickly! Thanks again @Gibo for letting us know which cards you had in stock!

Last edited:
Soldato
VA27SPb

She sure did! What a beast of a card coming from a 2080 RTX. Will try some proper overclocking tomorrow as my quick card swap did not happen. THE gpu power connectors on my 2080 were the other way round which then meant i had to take the comp apart round the back so i could have a nice neat cable job or my ocd would be kicking in. I too am a bit of a sim racer mostly ACC. I did a quick bench with F1 2020 in 4K ultra settings and all i can say is WOW! 192 fps in 4k with zero gpu overclocking. I am now hitting around 50-60 fps when flying around Manhattan in the TBM in 4k with all settings on high. To say i am chuffed is an understatement!

Will let them off since i got the card so quickly! Thanks again @Gibo for letting us know which cards you had in stock!

https://imgur.com/a/evmN20G
script>

https://imgur.com/a/RdsoIhd

https://imgur.com/a/YOry3Z3

https://imgur.com/a/BYNeDDM
Stunning mate! Looks a proper beefy card and it does the job as you'd expect for £1500 squid. Just come off MS FS2020 after a session and i'm getting around 55fps on everything maxed out apart from the res scaler which i've set to 130 to maintain a decent fps still. Surprisingly turning up the graphics did very little to the fps, i was still maintaining around 75-80fps on max settings without touching the resolution scaler. Give it a try, looks a lot better on ultra!

Haha its so random, the haribo comes and goes! I remember ordering a cpu and didn't get any but then orderd 2 water fittings and got 2 packs?!

Associate
What do you guys think ? should I stick with my Noctua NH-D15 & 8700k combo or switch to NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm for better thermals when I get my Asus 3090 Strix OC ?

My last build had the NH-D15 and it was good at what it did. For this build i decided to go with my first AIO -X72 Kraken and i have been very happy with it. People knock the CAM software but i have had no issues with it at all. Right now 9700k is at idle at around 36-37c with a room temp of 24c. What i do love is how quiet the rig is now compared to when i had the D15. Temps dont really go above 75c for me with my i7 9700K at 5GHz when i am in MSFS so overall very happy. I did notice tonight that the 3090 runs a lot cooler than my 2080 RTX did. It would hit 82c in MSFS. Tonight the max temp recorded on the 3090 in MSFS was 67c so plenty of headroom with it. Think you will be happy with the Kraken if you do go for it.

Can see the X72 Kraken front mounted in my pic.

Last edited:
Soldato
My last build had the NH-D15 and it was good at what it did. For this build i decided to go with my first AIO -X72 Kraken and i have been very happy with it. People knock the CAM software but i have had no issues with it at all. Right now 9700k is at idle at around 36-37c with a room temp of 24c. What i do love is how quiet the rig is now compared to when i had the D15. Temps dont really go above 75c for me with my i7 9700K at 5GHz when i am in MSFS so overall very happy. I did notice tonight that the 3090 runs a lot cooler than my 2080 RTX did. It would hit 82c in MSFS. Tonight the max temp recorded on the 3090 in MSFS was 67c so plenty of headroom with it. Think you will be happy with the Kraken if you do go for it.
The TUF card has one of the best coolers imo, i have the 3080 version on preorder which i'll test out when i get it. It's meant to be one of the quietest and best performing coolers for this series and from all the reviews i've seen it doesn't disappoint. Compared to the Palit 3090 cooler, this palit is very noisy and doesn't cool all that well imo. In MSFS 2020 it would sit around 71c and be very audible, hopefully be able to resolve this come Thursday when the waterblock comes for it.

Associate
Stunning mate! Looks a proper beefy card and it does the job as you'd expect for £1500 squid. Just come off MS FS2020 after a session and i'm getting around 55fps on everything maxed out apart from the res scaler which i've set to 130 to maintain a decent fps still. Surprisingly turning up the graphics did very little to the fps, i was still maintaining around 75-80fps on max settings without touching the resolution scaler. Give it a try, looks a lot better on ultra!

Haha its so random, the haribo comes and goes! I remember ordering a cpu and didn't get any but then orderd 2 water fittings and got 2 packs?!

It really is a crazy card. Was flying around up in the highlands before i came off and i was sitting at around 80fps average in the TBM. I will need to try the render scale at 130 to see how it looks. Will also need to bump everything upto ultra tomorrow to see how she goes. Heck i have always been happy with 30fps in a flight sim so loads of headroom to bump settings up more. I did notice that at one stage i was using around 9.5GB of gpu ram so plenty of headroom. Did get me thinking that i was glad to go with it as not much headroom there with the 3080.

Looking forward to giving MSFS a blast on ultra tomorrow along with bumping the render scale up! Also looking forward to trying AAC on my sim rig with it all maxed out for the first time as ACC is a bit of a gpu hog!

Soldato
It really is a crazy card. Was flying around up in the highlands before i came off and i was sitting at around 80fps average in the TBM. I will need to try the render scale at 130 to see how it looks. Will also need to bump everything upto ultra tomorrow to see how she goes. Heck i have always been happy with 30fps in a flight sim so loads of headroom to bump settings up more. I did notice that at one stage i was using around 9.5GB of gpu ram so plenty of headroom. Did get me thinking that i was glad to go with it as not much headroom there with the 3080.

Looking forward to giving MSFS a blast on ultra tomorrow along with bumping the render scale up! Also looking forward to trying AAC on my sim rig with it all maxed out for the first time as ACC is a bit of a gpu hog!
You'll have a blast, can't imagine what the sim rig will be like but its something i've been considering as well project cars 3, its not the same with a controller anymore especially with all this fps goodness and high end graphics!

I cranked up the resolution scaler to 200 for laughs and see what would happen and the fps dipped to 28ish while memory was upto 11gb almost! So you're right, the 3090 is the way to go. Be interesting to see what dx12 brings to the table as well in the future for MSFS2020

Associate
Tonight the max temp recorded on the 3090 in MSFS was 67c so plenty of headroom with it. Think you will be happy with the Kraken if you do go for it.

Thanks for the suggestion, my i7 8700K is OC to 4.9ghz on all cores and sits around 28degrees in idle, underload while playing Modern warfare for 3+ hours it reaches max 72degrees, Its de-lidded btw.

I was thinking to go for 10900k but Rocket Lake S is close, I would rather wait a couple of months for PCI-4.0 and intel 11th Gen i9. Also, I cant really afford a new Asus Maximus hero MB, Kraken cooler and i9 right now after purchasing the Rtx 3090 strix which cost £1710.00.

Man of Honour
OP
VA27SPb

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

UbFdNzG.jpg

Date 29/09/2020, Make Asus TUF, BaueruTc, Link
Date 26/09/2020, Make Gigabyte Gaming, malachi, Link
Date 26/09/2020, Make Gigabyte Gaming, 1nfern0, Link
Date 26/09/2020, Make Palit GamingPro, Jay85, Link
Date 25/09/2020, Make Asus TUF, Cubed, Link
Date 25/09/2020, Make Palit GamingPro, jabski, Link
Date 25/09/2020, Make Asus TUF, MestasDeejay, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your RTX 3090

Associate
You'll have a blast, can't imagine what the sim rig will be like but its something i've been considering as well project cars 3, its not the same with a controller anymore especially with all this fps goodness and high end graphics!

I cranked up the resolution scaler to 200 for laughs and see what would happen and the fps dipped to 28ish while memory was upto 11gb almost! So you're right, the 3090 is the way to go. Be interesting to see what dx12 brings to the table as well in the future for MSFS2020

A sim rig is fanastic and just brings everything to another level. I have a SimLab GT1 cockpit with triple monitors and Fanatec wheelbase, pedals & shifter. Such a great feeling that you get with it. Started off with a Logitech G25 clamped to my desk many many years back and even that was great as it just adds to the immersion factor.

Back
Top Bottom