• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3090 Owners Thread

Soldato
Managed to get my FE to hold steady at 825mV at 1890MHz, then a 500MHz overclock on the memory. Temps sit at around 63 degrees in my O11D, bloody well chuffed with that. Looped Port Royal for a couple of hours, Heaven and then had a long session on COD last night.

Is anyone able to work out what saving I'd be getting in terms of power draw? Not that it matters but it would be interesting to know

easily be able to tell for yourself. MSI AB / GPU-Z all have powerdraw numbers. MSI AB / Rivatuner even lets you set up power draw on the On screen display ingame. Set at stock see what you hit and apply the undervolt and see where you land. I expect compared to stock will likely see about 80w+ reduction

Some games will pull more power then others. COD is not too bad, but same undervolt in control / Cyberpunk 2077 will see a higher power draw as card can still pull more power if needed.

Associate
easily be able to tell for yourself. MSI AB / GPU-Z all have powerdraw numbers. MSI AB / Rivatuner even lets you set up power draw on the On screen display ingame. Set at stock see what you hit and apply the undervolt and see where you land. I expect compared to stock will likely see about 80w+ reduction

Some games will pull more power then others. COD is not too bad, but same undervolt in control / Cyberpunk 2077 will see a higher power draw as card can still pull more power if needed.

I have definitely noticed this myself.

I tested an undervolt of .825mv at 1860 Mhz which is perfectly stable.

In some games the power usage fluctuates, but can be in the mid to high 200W range, with spikes to power limit (350W).

Then, as you say I play (especially Cyberpunk and Hitman 3) and it's often pegged at 350W at power limit, even with the lower voltage used.

Can someone explain, as if talking to a child, what the card is doing to draw the same wattage at a slightly lower voltage?

If the clock speed is locked at 1860Mhz and at power limit, am I gaining performance if the clock stays the same?

I get great temps with an undervolt, but as I say it is very random.

Wondering whether to ditch undervolting and just keep my usual settings or +120 on the core.

Whatever I set, it seems massively power limited at 350W and ends up the same Max Temp anyway, just for less duration, if undervolted.

Associate
Managed to get my FE to hold steady at 825mV at 1890MHz, then a 500MHz overclock on the memory. Temps sit at around 63 degrees in my O11D, bloody well chuffed with that. Looped Port Royal for a couple of hours, Heaven and then had a long session on COD last night.

Is anyone able to work out what saving I'd be getting in terms of power draw? Not that it matters but it would be interesting to know

I tried using the same settings in MSI Afterburner and saw a maximum power usage of 356W (using HWiNFO64) when running Timespy standard. Previously I was just using +150 on the core instead of a custom curve and it would hit 400W (the maximum power limit on my FE).

The best part is my Timespy standard graphics score only went down around 2% (from ~20700 to ~20300).

Associate
What is going on with AIB 3090 pricing? they are going up and up close to 2k now for high end AIB cards! crazy crazy

A big part of the increase is down to shipping costs from Asia to UK rising sharply by several hundred %. Dover and Felixstowe are swamped and container ships are being turned away. A lot of shipping companies won't touch UK as a destination so some compnies are just unloading in Holland. Obviously that adds more cost which is passed on in price increases.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...d-as-asia-uk-shipping-rates-increase-fourfold

Soldato
Snagged myself a FTW Ultra 3090 today which is being delivered tomorrow. Is the 3090 experience generally good?

Just keep a close eye on the card and try to use it as much as possible for the first 4 weeks. Make sure you put it under stress. The return rates are not great for EVGA this cycle.

Associate
For the better part of 2 grand i would friggin hope so.

Very true haha. Just didn’t know if people have been underwhelmed.

Just keep a close eye on the card and try to use it as much as possible for the first 4 weeks. Make sure you put it under stress. The return rates are not great for EVGA this cycle.

Currently using a FTW 3070, no issues so far.

For the better part of 2 grand i would friggin hope so.
Did you not think to check this out before buying one?

They're awful and we’re all selling ours and going back to 1080P. :p

Haha wanted a 3080 FTW, so decided to grab one of these as the 3080 are no where to be seen. I know it’s way over the top but sod it.

Associate

Haha wanted a 3080 FTW, so decided to grab one of these as the 3080 are no where to be seen. I know it’s way over the top but sod it.

Same here regarding the 'I know its way over the top but sod it.' :D

Associate
Same here regarding the 'I know its way over the top but sod it.' :D

I don’t even game at 4K haha, 1440p. I just found the 3080s prices were massively inflated over what they should be. Whereas the 3090s are more in line with the correct pricing.

Paid £1729 for the FTW Ultra. The XC3 ultra was £1649. I set my heart on the bigger cooler of the FTW.

As where the 3080 are over £1k plus now.

With the possible GDDR price increases coming, they might only go up higher so thought I’d get in now.

Last edited:
Associate
I was of a similar mindset - I preferred to pay MSRP for 3090FE than pay an inflated price for a 3080 and I needed a card
Exactly this. At least when the market settles down (in a year or 2 haha) you might get more money back % wise on the 3090 if you decided to get something else.

Soldato

it’s the evga 3090 range that’s effected, mostly the 3090 FTW3. some people are on their third replacement card from evga and the kicker is after 30 days you might be given back a reconditioned card, not a new one.

i will speculate and say evga ran the ftw3 design well into Classified territory and didn’t upgrade the PCB build to that standard but charged the Classified price tag. i think that is the reason for the ftw3 hydro copper batch delays, it won’t be identical to the fan based model.

Associate
it’s the evga 3090 range that’s effected, mostly the 3090 FTW3. some people are on their third replacement card from evga and the kicker is after 30 days you might be given back a reconditioned card, not a new one.

i will speculate and say evga ran the ftw3 design well into Classified territory and didn’t upgrade the PCB build to that standard but charged the Classified price tag. i think that is the reason for the ftw3 hydro copper batch delays, it won’t be identical to the fan based model.

Iv not personally read about any issues. What issues should I be looking out for?

Just to note the place i got the card from send you a replacement a brand new card within 48 hours should anything go wrong. No need to send it to EVGA for an RMA.

Last edited:
Associate
EVGA are not what they used to be, they have rested on there laurels that people just think they produce high end. when in fact other lesser branded cards are better made, with better components used. EVGA need to up there game to equal other brands at the moment.

Associate
EVGA are not what they used to be, they have rested on there laurels that people just think they produce high end. when in fact other lesser branded cards are better made, with better components used. EVGA need to up there game to equal other brands at the moment.

I know other brands have got better and EVGA have done bit of an intel. But what issues should people be looking out for if they have one? Iv not read any common issue so far, I maybe looking in the wrong places.

Back
Top Bottom