**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Soldato
OP
That's the term - Flexibilty Option - in the RAM settings. You must disable this one to get 'full power' I reckon.

Worryingly I've had a couple of blue screens this morning. Weirdly it's not happened whilst benchmarking but just surfing the web or doing stuff on the desktop???
Have relaxed the ram timings slightly down to 6,3,3,2.5. Still only at 210 fsb...
What's the main reasons for blue screens?

Last edited:
Soldato
wunkley said:
Worryingly I've had a couple of blue screens this morning. Weirdly it's not happened whilst benchmarking but just surfing the web or doing stuff on the desktop???
Have relaxed the ram timings slightly down to 6,3,3,2.5. Still only at 210 fsb...
What's the main reasons for blue screens?

Overclocking/memory settings or just bad memory.....

Thats not the best of news to hear just before I consider ordering off this board ;)

But tbh id try defaulting/less overclocking see if that increases stability again.

I would hate to order from that company but 50 quid is tempting but there Customer Services if by far the worst ive delt with still waiting for an RMA refund after 10 months!

Associate
Just tried some different memory and still wont have 1T even near stock, guess my x2 must not like it - really annoying :/

Soldato
OP
Well what a terrible 24 hours. Have had a nightmare, but fingers crossed everything is back to how it was when I was singing this boards praises the other day.

It turns out I cannot run this board with 1T memory timings either!

The auto setting for that timing in the bios must be 2T which is what I had it at when everything was going ok, after fiddling in the bios I had set the RAM to 1T thinking it would be fine - and that was the cause of all the blue screens and instability probs.
I found this out after reinstalling windows and flasing back to the 1.10 bios.
Am now back on the 1.15 bios, with the fsb at 210 and the ram at 6,3,3,2.5 2T. At these settings I tried the fsb at 218 to get 2.4Ghz, but not stable.

Weirdly Prime 95 seems to run ok at any setting, I find this odd as it was the most sensitive test for overclocking on my MSI neo 2 board?

The king of stability tests for me is (don't laugh) the 'Flatout' game demo. This seems super sensitive and is great for testing motherboard overclock, and graphics card overclock stability issues.

So, what's the consensus on this board now, and what's the best way to overclock it a bit. I'm not looking for silly numbers, but it looks like RAM settings is the problem on this board...

Associate
wunkley said:
So, what's the consensus on this board now, and what's the best way to overclock it a bit. I'm not looking for silly numbers, but it looks like RAM settings is the problem on this board...

Mine's dead stable at stock, I bought a 4000 San Diego at the same time so have not tried to overclock.
The big selling point to me was 8x AGP for now and PCI-E when needed.

Associate
Glad u got it going wunkley, I'd like u to check something if you might. Set your ram to 1T and then when u get into windows press print screen and then load mspaint and paste. Whenever I do this I get instant crash in 1T even though sandra memory benchmarks will run fine!

My conclusion with this board is its OK, and good value for £49 but its just not an overclockers board.

The reasons why (this is with an X2 CPU)

-Cant run 1T even with stock (with any combination of memory)

-Cant run 4 dimms even at stock 200mhz

-Cant boot above 230mhz fsb even with dividers and 1 dimm

-CPU Voltage limited to 1.35v with X2 (basically STOCK voltage)

-Memory voltage is 1.6v auto +4% high - ithis is again nsufficient.

Overall im slightly dissapointed but then for £50 its still good value.

Associate
I'm running the 1.15 bios with a Venice 3000. Before I went away this weekend I bumped the FSB upto 270, left the multiplier at 9; jiggered around with the other settings to ensure it'd at least post i.e dropped the memory speed and dropped the HTT settings. Left it running SETI (I know not the biggest stress test) and returned to find it happily chugging along; no problems. NExt thing to do is to stick some decent memory in and change the cooler; probably to an Artic Freezer 64.

This might not be a heavy overclockers board but it does overclock and for 50 quid; it's a bargain. This is my first experience with the AMD 64s and my first with ASROCK and I am very happy.

Soldato
OP
Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with it, and for £50 you can't go wrong really I guess.

It's not a mad overclocker's board granted, but then again my last board (an MSI K8N neo 2 platinumn) was supposed to be and cost twice as much, and I only used to run it stable at 218 fsb, 1:1 6,3,3,2.5 timings but I could do T1 on that.
How much of a difference is T1 and T2 timing anyway, doesn't seem to make a huge difference with Athlon 64s from what I've read and seen?
The major bonus for me with this board, and the main reason I got it was the 6800GT pausing issue, which now seems to be completely fixed. I have it running at normal volts, 400 core, 1080 mem and it's fine. This has been the most frustrating thing in the last year, this whole nforce 3, 6800 freezing issue has beena joke which Nvidia have done marzipan [all about, which is pathetic.

Small rant over, here's a few comparisons I did using Aquamark 3 (as it's a quick benchmark and gives you seperate GPU and CPU scores):

1.) 235fsb x10 , cpu at 2.35, RAM at 10,3,3,2.5 2T timing and DDR333 speeds:
Score = 66,225 (GPU 9,987 CPU 9,379)

2.) 235fsb x10, cpu at 2.35, RAM at 10,3,3,2.5 1T timing and DDR333 speeds:
Score= 67,774 (GPU 10,247 CPU 10,014)

3.) 210fsb x 11, cpu at 2.31, RAM at 10,3,3,2 2T timing and DDR400 speeds (ie 1:1):
Score: 67,025 (GPU 10,152 CPU 9,863)

235 is the highest fsb I seem to be able to use at the moment, at 240 it won't boot and I have to then clear the CMOS. I think for now I'm sticking with number 3 from above, the 2T isssue seems too unstable at the moment...

Last edited:
Associate
Can't get it to go in 1T but I do need some new RAM; this is pretty old ADATA which I used to run in my NF-2. I really think that Overclockers should consider stocking this board; it gives so much flexibility for those upgrading from older AGP based boxes.

I hope that a bios 1.2 soon appears which allows us to change the voltages above stock.

Associate
Yer thats the FSB i get stuck on, 235 round that area. I find it kind of odd considering it cant be the memory as both our ram should be good for 250 (I have pc4000).

Re: The 1/2T issue, its not a great difference but it all helps. From what I saw in halflife 2 benchmark with 2T: 93fps with 1T = 99fps.

Associate
Dropped the CPU->NB and CPU -> SB down to 800; dropped my memory speed down to DDR266; CPU->PCIE to Async and left the PCIE at 100. Haven't touch the memory voltage.

Soldato
OP
spell said:
Dropped the CPU->NB and CPU -> SB down to 800; dropped my memory speed down to DDR266; CPU->PCIE to Async and left the PCIE at 100. Haven't touch the memory voltage.

Just tried that, wouldn't post and had to clear CMOS (again!!!!)
I set my ram to 10,3,3,3 2T for that. Any other settings to try?

Associate
Sorry mate, that's all I did. I'll get some new memory next week and see if I can get the memory speed up as well and a new cooler, see if I can get any more out of this chip; a 50% overclock would be sweet; certainly on stock volts.

Associate
Just had a play; if I drop the CPU->NB and CPU -> SB down to 600; I can get into Windows with a FSB of 290. Not tried to do anything yet apart from bring up a browser and SETI. BTW, I have no real reason to do this; I'm not a big gamer; a bit of WoW but that's about all. I'm a photoshop junkie really.

Associate
What CPU is that with spell? I got the feeling the board can handle certain cpu's at higher FSB's but not others. Something to do with the revision memory controller on each chip possibly.

Associate
wunkley said:
Just tried that, wouldn't post and had to clear CMOS (again!!!!)
I set my ram to 10,3,3,3 2T for that. Any other settings to try?

btw u dont need to clear cmos, just turn it on and off a few times, it resets itself then :)

Back
Top Bottom