**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Associate
edger said:
What CPU is that with spell? I got the feeling the board can handle certain cpu's at higher FSB's but not others. Something to do with the revision memory controller on each chip possibly.

It's a Venice 3000.

Is this a good board? It's certainly not crap and if you want to do an upgrade with the option of going PCI-E for AGP later; it's the only game in town at the moment. Remember it also has SATA-2 and potentially the option of putting the new M2 socket in via a riser card at some point. As budget cards go; I don't think you'd find too many people arguing against it.

Soldato
OP
edger said:
btw u dont need to clear cmos, just turn it on and off a few times, it resets itself then :)

How does that work? Turn what on and off exactly?
At the moment I'm just taking the motherboard battery out and leaving it for a few minutes.

My A64 is a Newcastle 3500+. Does that affect the limitations of upping he fsb compared to a Venice?

Associate
wunkley said:
How does that work? Turn what on and off exactly?
At the moment I'm just taking the motherboard battery out and leaving it for a few minutes.

My A64 is a Newcastle 3500+. Does that affect the limitations of upping he fsb compared to a Venice?

Just turn the machine on and off three or four times. It'll then come up saying it was unable to boot with the current settings and give you the option of going into the BIOS to change them.

Associate
spell said:
Just turn the machine on and off three or four times. It'll then come up saying it was unable to boot with the current settings and give you the option of going into the BIOS to change them.

yup exactly just keep powering it on and off (to turn it off hold down the power button for a few seconds).

Btw I find it completley bizzare that this board is rock stable @230 fsb, yet @231 fsb with any combination of memory and dividers I cant even get it to POST, i.e. the monitor wont even come on.... bizzare.........

Soldato
OP
What, you mean turn the main PC power up button on, then off straight away, then on again straight away, then off again etc? Isn't that in danger of shorting something out or something or have I got it wrong??

Associate
wunkley said:
What, you mean turn the main PC power up button on, then off straight away, then on again straight away, then off again etc? Isn't that in danger of shorting something out or something or have I got it wrong??

Well, turn it on...leave it for 30 seconds. Then turn it off again. Repeat two or three times. Basically, the motherboard will see the failure to POST; bring itself up at default settings and give you the option of going into the BIOS. a lot easier than resetting the CMOS any other way.

Associate
So for a quick round up, those of you who have this board and a A64 3000+ venice, what is your max cpu oc with the max voltage options on this board?

Associate
Max Stable for me is 2.43 Ghz i.e 270*9. I've had a post at 2.61 i.e 290*9 and its gone into Windows but it was very unstable; in fact anything above 270 is pretty unuseable.

Soldato
I hope this isnt breaking any rules but could someone email me with a link to where i could get one of these boards from. Im not having much luck. Email in trust

thanks

Associate
Raves said:
wow thats a nice oc for 1.45V; do you think that is an exceptional or typical oc for a 3000+ venice at 1.45V?

Actually, it's better than that; I'm actually undervolting at present, so I'm down at 1.4V. I don't think I'm hitting a CPU limit; it might be the motherboard.

Associate
That is quite impressive; I hope that I am so fortunate to get a 3000+ core that will oc like that at stock or lower than stock voltages.

Associate
Hi! New the forum and I just got a 939DUAL-SATA2 with a 3200+ and VC Micro cooler. Sounds nice but it seems that VC did not include the two screws and the backplate wich is required for mounting this cooler. Did your coolers include the screws and backplate (the one on the backside of the MB) ?

Associate
btw, undervolting the chip and still getting a 600mhz overlcock, i wouldn't complain.... it is the limit of the chip as far as I can tell....

this board wont be bought by overlcockers in masses until we get some control over our voltage!!!!!!

and btw, the guy woth the newcastle, that is your cpu limiting your overclock... needs more volts

Associate
3 phase power seems to be ok for me so far.

I got the mobo and x2 4400 cpu on Saturday, striped out pc and built it over the weekend, completed a few runs of super pi so far. But running two at once was no slower than just the one thread.

I have water-cooling from water chill on the cpu so had to drain and re plum which is why it took me a bit of time to sort. That and the parents wanting me to help in the garden....

Hope to push the cpu up a bit in time, 2.5 gig sounds a good target. At default it put my ram at 333 MHz although it is pc3200 rated, will up it and run mem-test later.

6800GT AGP graphics card is running fine so far too, will play more later, was 10pm last night when I got to running windows update 

Oh and Hitachi SATA2 with NCQ was working well too !

Dan

Soldato
ahh i just noticed a local shop is selling this board for 46 quid inc vat. wondering now. how reliable is this board? i mean does it use good quality components? will the caps on this board blow up after a week?

most of all, is it a stable board and is it fussy with memory?

Back
Top Bottom