**The ASrock 939dual-SATA2 (ULi M1695) thread**

Soldato
Nice review of the board but

The ASRock is clearly a value board, designed to sell for a low price, but even so, it provides all the features, including SATA2 with NCQ, that you would expect on an up-to-date A64 motherboard. The ASRock is by no means perfect. The layout will be a pain for some, the cold boot issues are annoying, LAN is 10/100 and not Gigabit, and there are no Firewire ports.

Cold boot issues :O/Still a good buy

Associate
There are two retailers that i know of in the uk that are selling this board. I brought the ASRock from the one mentioned above. I've had no problems so far with the board. Updated it to the Official P1.20 bios for the overclocking options. Haven't tried overclocking yet, but will do later ;) .

Jetway are supposed to be releasing one very soon according to Bluetooth over at OCworkbench. The people who had the first ASRock review and seem to have good links with ULi.

Specs

Bluetooth said:
A695DAG is Jetway's Socket 939 board based on ULi 1695+1567 chipset. This board comes with a debug port and offers overclocking features. CPU Ratio, CPU Voltage, DRAM Voltage, AGP voltage are all adjustable. There is also CPU over temp protection.

The board is of ATX form factor with a dimension of 305x244mm. It supports 1 AGP 8x, 3 PCI, 1 PCIe x16 and 1 PCIe x1. 4 DDR DIMM slots are available for Dual Channel DDR400/333/266 support of up to 4GB. ACPI S3 is supported. The board supports a Realtek GbE and 6 channel audio using ALC655 Codec.

There are 4 SATA ports with RAID support. Two supported by ULi m1567 and 2 more based on ULi 5283.
He says that there will be a review posted soon.

Associate
Well so far i've got to a FSB of 270MHz, but can't go higher at the moment. So far it seems stable but i need to test further with SP2004 or Prime 95. This gives me a cpu speed of 2430MHz :D which i'm happy with.

Associate
pengellyd said:
Well so far i've got to a FSB of 270MHz, but can't go higher at the moment. So far it seems stable but i need to test further with SP2004 or Prime 95. This gives me a cpu speed of 2430MHz :D which i'm happy with.

Exactly the same as me, I've done all the tests and it is rock-solid. I'll test with another two sticks of memory in at the week-end to see how stable it is with four dimms.

Oh yeah, I've got my Geil Value @ 1T as well.

I'm now hankering after an x2 3800; once I've flogged some bits and bobs, I'll probably upgrade.

Associate
Haven't had one single problem so far, no crashes. I was running my Geil value ram at 2T. But since you've had no problems with 1T i thought i'd try it and... it works! I'm currently @ 225MHz @ 2-3-3-6 @ 1T on the Geil ram at stock volts. Still can't get higher than 270MHz fsb :(

Soldato
WS_TailGunner said:
i want one of these boards! hope OcUK stock em soon...

ya hear me OcUK? =P

TG

They wont stock it cos its ASrock... ;)

Same with Jetway....

more headache then worth to most suppliers.... it needs abit/asus written on the front..

Associate
I haven't personally as i haven't got another 1Gb lying round. But i imagine that you should be able to as the memory controller is on the cpu, but you would be limited to 2T. You'll lose a few fps for the slower command rate but quicker load times and in a few games (bf2) faster fps because of the extra memory. Its all swings and roundabouts.

(Don't take my work for it though)

Associate
pengellyd said:
I haven't personally as i haven't got another 1Gb lying round. But i imagine that you should be able to as the memory controller is on the cpu, but you would be limited to 2T. You'll lose a few fps for the slower command rate but quicker load times and in a few games (bf2) faster fps because of the extra memory. Its all swings and roundabouts.

(Don't take my work for it though)

cheers

Associate
HighlandeR said:
Same with Jetway.... (not being sold at OcUK)
This may not be the case as Gibbo was talking about getting the very good Jetway 939GT4-SLI in stock. So you may see OcUK stocking the Jetway ULi board ;). Depends how loyal you are to a e-tailor and/or how long you are prepared to wait to upgrade.

I personally wanted to upgrade now because of two reasons:
- I was having stability problems with my previous set-up and
- I wasn't prepared to pay £200 for a 6800GT (no matter how good it is).

I'll wait for either of the following:
- 7800 vanilla
- 7600GT
- cheaper 6800GT (£150)
- lower end X1800 card
- X1600 Pro/XT
Which ever offers the best performance for the price

(sorry its a bit off topic)

EDIT: Also the highest CPU temp i've seen whilst overclocking is 37 C (I've got a probe attached to the base of the cpu heatsink that read 29.5 C at the time) so its running a lot cooler than my AMD XP set-up.

Last edited:
Associate
yeah looks ideal upgrade path for me. No intention of the Geforce 7800's or R520's, 6800GT is enough for me at moment. System weaknesses are CPU, RAM and IDE. Thsi board will allow incremental upgrades over several years on all of these before new GPU becomes paramount, for inital overall outlay of around £140!.

Soldato
Well never can tell with Ocuk maybe we will see Jetway/Asrock boards.....

As for company loyality/waiting well it does seem like 2005 has been the year of waiting ive never seen so many delays ever in the I.T industry...

We got hardly any manafacturers jumping on this popular ULi chipset accept Asrock atm soon jetway, we still got no blueray recorders.... No Creative X-fi cards and there about in Europe... no ATI crossfire mainboards...no ATI R520 graphics card Range... no Laser Razer Mice.....

Its like everyone just got lazy in 2005 and its still not over I bet FEAR/Serious Sam 2/AOE III/Quake4 all dont appear next month and get delayed till December!

Back
Top Bottom