The Bards Tale IV out on 18th September 2018

Soldato
https://store.steampowered.com/app/566090/The_Bards_Tale_IV_Barrows_Deep/

Comes out tomorrow.

Anyone thinking of getting it, as maker said if it sells well he will try to buy interplay and bring back more interplay classics.

Looks ok tho combat looks turn based and old school but modern gfx, not sure if I'd like that as hoped it would be more action RPG hack and slash.

Could be fun. Hopefully it's as funny as the old old ones reportable were said to be like.

Man of Honour
Oooh. Didn't even know this was coming. Will keep an eye on it, see what people think.

More Interplay games coming back though, hell yes!

Earthworm Jim, Descent, Lost Vikings, MDK, Rock N Roll Racing...

Man of Honour
Im interested in it, I played the original Bards Tale when it first came out on the Spectrum back in the 1980s, for a long time it held my personal record for the longest single nonstop play session on a game , 49 hours nonstop, took a couple of decades before I broke that record :)

Soldato
I kickstarted on the back of a rose tinted view of the original trilogy which I played through on my Amiga 500 back in the day.

Well when I say played through.....I never got any further than the 2nd one.

It looks like it might scratch an itch of mine, and I got my steam key a couple of days ago.

Soldato
Yep, I'm in, have my key and ready to go, looking forward to it as I thought Mage's Tale, inXiles VR title, is a cracking little game and I loved the original 3 RPGs more than I can describe ;)

Looks ok tho combat looks turn based and old school but modern gfx, not sure if I'd like that as hoped it would be more action RPG hack and slash.

Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Associate
Also got this from Kickstarter years ago.
Might sell my steam key on the MM as I am not much of a gamer now will see what people think of the game.
I watched this video about the combat, not sure if my little brain can remember all off the buffs, songs, spells and moves.

Associate
Watching Cohh play this on Twitch and it looks fairly decent. Cdkeys have it for under £16 so I think I would get my moneys worth.

Cohh also stated that the Devs had contacted him saying there will be a day one patch to help with inventory sorting.

Soldato
Only had a quick test and have done the first run up to the underground Adventurers Guild following the Fatherites raiding the above ground one and so far I really like it, I can see the combat will become quite nuanced at higher levels and the graphics, whilst not being amazingly special (and some of the textures are quite amateurish) add something to character of the game and I can already get a sense the music is going to be quite special :)

Have rolled a bard for my first run.

Soldato
Had a real good blast on this today and I'm loving it. It's so charming and full of character, it still feels like The Bard's Tale of yore but has been given a nice modern update. The amount of old game lore hidden and dotted around the game and in the passing conversations of NPCs is heartwarming and the Gaelic voiced music is extremely atmospheric. Cracking puzzles and tactical combat that never feels a chore are all making the time fly as I progress through the story :). My favourite RPG experience for quite a few years.

Soldato
I backed this on Kickstarter and have been playing the first 3 that I got as part of the package and today I've finally had the chance to have a proper play!

I have to say I wasn't sure at first but when I got my head around the combat I am loving it!

Soldato
Combat seems simple at first but will probably become a bit like chess building skills and buffs into combos. Movement is limited to a small grid in combat so harking back to older games. There's definitely some dark atmosphere in parts of the world though I've not gone too far yet.

The graphics are not AAA polished but still charming in their own way. I like touches like the Bard narration on loading a game to sort of tell the story so far.

The performance is a bit choppy even on a 1080 Ti so I'll switch to my GSync monitor later to see if that helps. I've played around a fair bit with settings to get a balance I like.

Last edited:
Associate
Oh god i did not even know this was a thing!! i spent what probably totals to weeks of my life playing BT1, 2 and 3, BT1 is arguably still my favourite RPG of all time, Dungeon Master 1 & 2 lie close by though. I remember cursing my computer many times when i lost a party in Catacombs or Mangars Tower etc, friend of mine showed me a neat trick how to level up characters fast by using Aport Arcane to the 99 Beserkers Room and AOE'ing them all down, you just had to hope that you got the attacks in first and that your attacks killed them first time lol...

Definitely going to buy this right now!

Soldato
It's a decent old style RPG and reminds me of Legend of Grimrock (puzzles mixed with combat) but with free movement. Combat is a mix of 2D (your characters) and 3D (the enemy) but seems to work OK.

Back
Top Bottom