The BBC has no leftist bias at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Hmmmm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-57235904

Also Twitter link https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1397462455115206659

Global heating: Study shows impact of 'climate racism' in US

A new study says that black people living in most US cities are subject to double the level of heat stress as their white counterparts.

The researchers say the differences were not explained by poverty but by historic racism and segregation.

As a result, people of colour more generally, live in areas with fewer green spaces and more buildings and roads.

These exacerbate the impacts of rising temperatures and a changing climate.

________

Tell me again why my dark skin necessitates Vitamin D supplements please? Also I suppose that Africa has a perfectly cool / cold climate. No sunlight there at all nope.

Soldato
This post is bad and makes 0 point, nor does it refute the argument. Mods must condemn.

OP

As a result, people of colour more generally, live in areas with fewer green spaces and more buildings and roads.

These exacerbate the impacts of rising temperatures and a changing climate.

This is the important bit. Try reading.

Your pathetic jump to whataboutism makes no sense.

Associate
OP
This post is bad and makes 0 point, nor does it refute the argument. Mods must condemn.

OP

This is the important bit. Try reading.

Your pathetic jump to whataboutism makes no sense.

I and everyone in the Twitter comments already read it.

And we all agree that it is pure BS.

Also the last I checked, the tree in my backyard and all the greenspaces all over my estate do nothing to stop the sunlight landing on my skin.

Not one person gets sheltered by trees while outdoors in any urban environment.

Also FYI you can actually get hats that block sunlight, sunglasses, sun screen. I already have them all as a low life POC on benefits in social housing.

But ok, I guess I can get on board with what this article is trying to say - GIBE ME FREE AIR CONDITIONING USING HURFDURF'S TAXES NAOW!.

Also feel free to tell me just how many green spaces there are around all the blocks of flats there are in London.

Explain how Africans living in Africa still manage to play sports and train enough to compete in the Olympics under the amount of heat stress there?

Last edited:
Commissario
I and everyone in the Twitter comments already read it.

And we all agree that it is pure BS.

Also the last I checked, the tree in my backyard and all the greenspaces all over my estate do nothing to stop the sunlight landing on my skin.

Not one person gets sheltered by trees while outdoors in any urban environment.

Also FYI you can actually get hats that block sunlight, sunglasses, sun screen. I already have them all as a low life POC on benefits in social housing.

But ok, I guess I can get on board with what this article is trying to say - GIBE ME FREE AIR CONDITIONING USING HURFDURF'S TAXES NAOW!.

Also feel free to tell me just how many green spaces there are around all the blocks of flats there are in London.

Explain how Africans living in Africa still manage to play sports and train enough to compete in the Olympics under the amount of heat stress there?

How is reporting on a study some sort of extreme left wing bias? or is it that only the people on the extreme left are able to do research?

You don't seem to think about what happens to the sun hitting anything other than your skin.
I'll give you a clue, look up urban heat islands* or urban micro environments, there is a very good reason the less greenery you have the hotter an area is, and why towns are usually hotter than the surrounding green areas, it's something that's been known about for a very long time (IIRC it can be a difference of several degrees centigrade).
Concrete traps heat, even just having a line of trees either side of a road can reduce the heating of the concrete under/around them by a significant degree as it reduces the amount of sun hitting it - you try walking barefoot on concrete that's been fully exposed to the sun vs concrete that's been in shade from a tree on a hot clear day, just remember not to stand for long on the concrete (and possibly have some burn cream handy ;)). Or you try measuring the temperature of the concrete vs a some soil a few feet away and you'll often notice a difference (especially later in the day/early evening) as concrete retains heat far better.
Air temp might be ~35-40c, the surface temperature of concrete or asphalt might be nearer 70 or 80c** which is why you see asphalt becoming soft/melting in the sun, and the "haze" above road surfaces, and that concrete can retain that heat through much of the night meaning you don't get a chance to cool down at night.

Construction also makes a difference, you can build with a mind to keeping things more comfortable at higher temperatures, but it costs a little more and requires a little more care to be taken, which wasn't a high priority in many cases.

You also don't seem to consider the effect things like humidity has, in many instances it's not the heat that's the killer, it's the humidity as you can be reasonably ok at about 35c if it's a dry heat and you can keep hydrated, 35c at high humidity means your body can't cool itself properly via sweating at which point you start to run into real problems.
It's one of the reasons people might scoff at say the idea that people in the UK have problems at 25-30c because they might live in an area that gets 35-40c, but when they come over they suddenly realise that the reading on the thermometer is not everything.

You mention London in your other post, it's worth noting that London does have a fair bit of green space (even the likes of the tower blocks often had green play areas near them), it's also a city that historically has been a lot cooler than many American ones on average., and many rebuilding projects have had explicit rules about things like including more green spaces both to make it more visually appealing and because it is recognised the difference they make.

*Gliding clubs love being able to plan their flights from one such heat island to another, as they know that there is pretty much always going to be a lovely warm air zone with the resulting updraft above any densely built area.

**IIRC That surface temp is also a large part of the reason White vans became far more popular in the UK than black vans back when the likes of the Ford Transit first took off, the white paint IIRC made a huge difference to the temperature inside the van compared to the black paint, and when you didn't have air conditioning that was important.

Associate
OP
Still a load of nonsense compared to the temperatures in equatorial and tropical countries.

None of what you said is race relevant either, as the BBC are trying to make it out to be.

Such issues would affect everyone.

How is reporting on a study some sort of extreme left wing bias? or is it that only the people on the extreme left are able to do research?

How about the fact that the cited article doesn't actually specify 'black people', but the BBC decided to add that into their article?

The original article states:

'The increasing intensity, duration, and frequency of heat waves due to human-caused climate change puts historically underserved populations in a heightened state of precarity, as studies observe that vulnerable communities—especially those within urban areas in the United States—are disproportionately exposed to extreme heat.'

The BBC interprate that as 'Black people', when it is long proven scientifically that darker skin improves heat toleramce.

The fact is the BBC took a racially neutral article and fabricated it into 'climate racism'.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is it really?

I'm aware that darker skin improves protection from UV radiation but that's not the same thing as heat tolerance at all.

Since UV rays also increase heat, then surely yes it does.

Same as Low E glass negating the amount of heat getting through them by blocking UV rays.

Also darker skin cools off quicker in shade than lighter skin does.

Last edited:
Soldato
BS study chooses to interpret some statistics as the proof they want it to be. Plenty of people of colour also make it academically or talent wise and live in high standards if that's how they choose to spend their wealth. Got to knuckle down and get an education or get lucky with a talent just like everyone else rather than blame the world for being a bum / living in poverty.

Soldato
Since UV rays also increase heat, then surely yes it does.

Same as Low E glass negating the amount of heat getting through them by blocking UV rays.

Also darker skin cools off quicker in shade than lighter skin does.

You are talking about resistance to UV radiation when I question your claim of heat tolerance. It's not the same thing at all.

Consider a sauna. You get heat without notable UV radiation. How exactly is darker skin assisting the tolerance of that heat.

Associate
OP
You are talking about resistance to UV radiation when I question your claim of heat tolerance. It's not the same thing at all.

Consider a sauna. You get heat without notable UV radiation. How exactly is darker skin assisting the tolerance of that heat.

How exactly is darker skin more susceptible to heat then and how is the Sun / climate racist?

Soldato
How exactly is darker skin more susceptible to heat then and how is the Sun / climate racist?

I'll accept that as you giving up on saying darker skin makes you more heat tolerant then.

I don't care for the article or the paper or the authors, it's a clickbait approach and is raking in the attention as people spread the links and snippets in outrage.

But who's going to read a paper called being poor sucks, reason #392725.

Caporegime
How about the fact that the cited article doesn't actually specify 'black people', but the BBC decided to add that into their article?

The original article states:

'The increasing intensity, duration, and frequency of heat waves due to human-caused climate change puts historically underserved populations in a heightened state of precarity, as studies observe that vulnerable communities—especially those within urban areas in the United States—are disproportionately exposed to extreme heat.'

The BBC interprate that as 'Black people', when it is long proven scientifically that darker skin improves heat toleramce.

The fact is the BBC took a racially neutral article and fabricated it into 'climate racism'.

Also

The cited article is linked to, in the BBC report here.

Quote from article;
These population averages mask differences across population groups. With respect to race/ethnicity, in each climate zone, Black residents have the highest average SUHI exposure, for an overall average (±standard deviation) of 3.12 ± 2.67 °C, with Hispanics experiencing the second highest level (2.70 ± 2.64 °C). Non-Hispanic whites have the lowest exposure in each climate zone, with an overall average of 1.47 ± 2.60 °C.

Soldato
Have you ever heard of adaptive thermal comfort? That's part of the answer to your idiotic thread and it's overt racism. My interpretation of your first post is that it's fine for black people to live in places with much higher temperatures because they were once from Africa......they get just as hot. Idiotic.

Soldato
Have you ever heard of adaptive thermal comfort? That's part of the answer to your idiotic thread and it's overt racism. My interpretation of your first post is that it's fine for black people to live in places with much higher temperatures because they were once from Africa......they get just as hot. Idiotic.

indeed, mods must condemn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom