The BBC Radio 3 Proms 2020 are back . . . and almost over :(

Capodecina
Soldato
Friday, August 28th 2020

The BBC Radio 3 Proms make a comeback
from the Royal Albert Hall, albeit for just a couple of weeks, with reduced Orchestras and without an audience.

Tonight's performance is on BBC Radio 3 at 7:30 pm and BBC 2 TV at 8pm. Subsequent performance will always be broadcast on Radio 3 and will often be shown on TV - which is actually quite interesting in that you get close-ups of the players, the instruments and the Conductor

It includes "Quiet City" by Aaron Copland and Beethoven's "Eroica" symphony - details HERE.

Next Thursday's broadcast with the violinist Nicola Benedetti should be great.

I suggest that it is time to move on from the (fairly pointless but at times acrimonious) debate about the appropriateness of orchestral versions of a couple of the "Last Night" standards and enjoy the music - PLEASE :)

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Tonight (Thursday, September 3rd 2020) at 8pm on BBC 4 TV and on BBC Radio 3, Violinist Nicola Benedetti joins period-instrument group the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment for a celebration of Baroque concertos.

This is your chance to decide what encore you want to hear at this Prom. There are three options for you to choose from, you can listen to the snippets of each and then, by midday, select the piece you would like to hear tonight. (LINK)

Nicola Benedetti is a quite brilliant violinist, the female equivalent of Nigel Kennedy - DEFINITELY A MUST WATCH.

Soldato
No Barenboim + West-East Divan this year :( saw them last year and they were amazing.

Weird that Uchida isn't playing Mozart and is only playing the first movement of Moonlight :/. I'll be listening to that, to the organ works, and to the one with Jupiter.

edit: Just seen Hough is playing Beethoven Piano Concerto 2, I'll give that a listen.

double edit: Just seen you can vote for the encore. I don't like that at all. Performer should choose the encore, if they're being asked to perform an encore it's because the audience wants more, it should be the performer that chooses imo.

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Moved from "General Discussion" where people might not have known about the BBC Radio 3 Proms to here where people are probably well aware of them :(

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Just listened to tonight's concert - Aaron Copland's "Appalachian Spring" was incredibly evocative, the hint of "Lord of the dance" made me think of Morris Dancers outside an English village pub on New Year's Day - Happy daze :)

Capodecina
Soldato
OP
Last night of the BBC Radio 3 Proms 2020 tomorrow (Saturday) - https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e3pd2m

Aside the usual standards there will be "You'll never walk alone" and Nicola Benedetti playing Vaughan Williams' absolutely amazing "Lark Ascending" the latter alone is worth the ticket price ;)

Despite the sad lack of an auditorium filled with enthusiastic concert-goers It will be a quite fantastic evening - DON'T MISS IT!

Roll on next year's Covid-19 free season - I hope!

Soldato
There is actually something on a Saturday night worth watching . Last night of the Proms. If there has to be a last night it has to be a good one. Super repertoire, super audience and super auditorium and venue.

Commissario
I normally manage to catch up with a few during the couple of months and always try and watch the Last Night, enjoyed that last night although I did think the conductors speech was a little drawn out at the end.

Back
Top Bottom