The beast file: Google

Associate
Except that Google are getting away with it. If the EU doesn't bring court action against them for having a monopoly it will be criminal. They've raped Microsoft and Intel thus far, I just hope they have the balls to take G™ on.

Google worry me far more then Microsoft ever did.

Could you elaborate?

Sorry, but I think most people here aren't qualified to comment on something they really don't understand. If you want to educated yourself on it go read "How Microsoft Lost the API War" from "Joel on Software".

Here is the short version. Windows isn't need any more. Think of all the apps that were installed 10 years ago- Outlook, MS office, ICQ, MSN messenger etc. If you were going to develop an App then Windows was the platform to it for as that was where the user base was. That is now changing. People have been using online apps for years without really thinking about it such as Hotmail/Gmail- replacing the need for Outlook. GChat instead of MSN and can be done on any OS. A quote from Joel on Software-"Today I installed Google's new email application by typing Alt+D, gmail, Ctrl+Enter". The web has changed the rules.

Soldato
OP
Could you elaborate?

Sorry, but I think most people here aren't qualified to comment on something they really don't understand. If you want to educated yourself on it go read "How Microsoft Lost the API War" from "Joel on Software".
That's hardly "educating yourself" It's a distinctly self serving blog based on the personal opinion a single ex Microsoft employee who now owns a company developing web apps.

How do you know that "most people here aren't qualified to comment on something they don't understand"? Patronising much?

Soldato
There's nothing wrong with having a monopoly. If you exploit that position like Microsoft did though, that's when it becomes a problem and the EU will come calling.

I don't see the comparison with Microsoft either. Microsoft tried to lock you in to their software so you couldn't move around and tried to limit any competition. Whereas Google provide plenty of ways to export your data to use with other services and they're offering better tools all the time to help with this. And they've open sourced up a majority of their software, so anyone can use it and build upon it.

Soldato
OP
There's nothing wrong with having a monopoly. If you exploit that position like Microsoft did though, that's when it becomes a problem and the EU will come calling.

I don't see the comparison with Microsoft either. Microsoft tried to lock you in to their software so you couldn't move around and tried to limit any competition. Whereas Google provide plenty of ways to export your data to use with other services and they're offering better tools all the time to help with this. And they've open sourced up a majority of their software, so anyone can use it and build upon it.
Whilst Microsoft did go after the competition aggressively in order to succeed I can't think of generally having had any problems exporting data from MS apps for use elsewhere. You only have to look at Technet and MSDN to for the amount of support, detailed information and tools there are available.

Google open source some of their software because they don't make money from most of it, they make money from advertising in the main. Google software is generally a method of locking you into providing useful personal data that they can then use to sell advertising targeted at you.

Now if you really want a good example of locking you into an ecosystem theres Apple...

Soldato
Grab a tea or coffee (or beer) and have a look at this Australian view of Google (ironically on YouTube :) ). A little loose with the facts in places but interesting non the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7yfV6RzE30

Risking a flame war of epic proportions, thoughts? Is Google developing a pattern of behaviour that whilst not a huge problem now could become the "Microsoft of the 90s" in the next decade?
Which facts has the video been "loose" with?

SMN

SMN

Soldato
Good animation (impressed) - i think the conspiracy theorists will be getting off on this one, whereas those in real world will just go "meh" and move on.

Whats different beetween Google and "The government"? They can intercept all your comms, track you, have DNA, records, etc and probably a heck of a lot more you dont know of - so either people accept the government are "darth vader" or we all just move on :)

Soldato
OP
Which facts has the video been "loose" with?
I think to be fair phrases like "and no doubt[invested] in other areas we don't know about yet" and the presentation (and omission) of some of the facts is certainly designed to create a particular picture of Google.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Google, I think one or two companies coming to dominate what we think of now as a "free" internet is a bad thing. Personally with the Web 2.0 era I think people have been too quick to give away intimate personal data on a huge scale and once it's out there there's no getting it back.

You only have to look at how one of the first ports of call for any hiring manager now is to check out a potential new employees Facebook/twitter/whatever history to get a view of the person they might prefer didn't influence an important job application.

On the other side, and to be fair, I suppose there is an element or Eric Schmidts statement that "that if you don't want things you do to be public perhaps you shouldn't be doing them".

I tend to think we're moving from a world where privacy was implied as a base status, i.e. "unless you ask me and I actively publish or tell you the information then mind your own business" to a world where unless you actively opt out or protect your personal data it will be assumed to be public domain. And that's how companies like Google make money.

Soldato
OP
Whats different beetween Google and "The government"? They can intercept all your comms, track you, have DNA, records, etc and probably a heck of a lot more you dont know of - so either people accept the government are "darth vader" or we all just move on :)
We vote the government in and they are answerable to the public, judiciary and parliament. Google is only answerable to it's shareholder for whom it's driving purpose is to make as much money as possible.

Soldato
I think to be fair phrases like "and no doubt[invested] in other areas we don't know about yet" and the presentation (and omission) of some of the facts is certainly designed to create a particular picture of Google.
But it is true - like Google's power in investment. Apart from the public assets it has purchased (wholesale power), we don't know what else they're investing in.

Caporegime
We vote the government in and they are answerable to the public, judiciary and parliament. Google is only answerable to it's shareholder for whom it's driving purpose is to make as much money as possible.

Don't use google?

You have the choice not to use it you do not have a choice not to be ruled by the government.

Or better yet become a share holder?

Caporegime
Could you elaborate?

Pardon? Congratulations on recommending a self-serving, single source of information. Are you qualified to comment on the subject? You want me to elaborate? Assuming I have your permission as someone who isn't qualified to comment, I shall do so.

The difference between do no evil Google and Microsoft is, MS are a damn sight less hypocritical about their monopoly position. And abuse thereof. Although I don't need to reference Microsoft really as the reason Google worries me has nothing to do with them.

If the simple fact that Google is rapidly increasing how much it spends on lobbying in the United States doesnt tell you anything, I dont know what else will – ok Google fanboys can now go back to your Google searches for everything, Your GMail with targeted ads based on the content of your mails and put your head back under the pillow. For the rest of us, I am sure we can agree that some scrutiny of a company which has basically won control of the internet, while gaining a very, very large amount of personal users data and their surfing habits, is entirely overdue.

As the Google CEO (Eric Schmidt) himself says, "If you have something that you don’t want anyone to know, maybe you shouldn’t be doing it in the first place" – unless of course, that knowledge is personal details of his, obtained by CNET Journalists only via Google searches. Google blacklisted CNET for about a year over this, then again, they really do have to the power to be both evil and hypocritical, whenever it suits. We, the public, have somewhat less choice in blacklisting which Information Google collects from them.

However, Google only use the info they have collected on YOU to sell ads, dont they? No problem there, then.

I'm also worried about a company that analyses 20% of the worlds internet traffic on it's own private network based on proprietary routing protocols, if any one could actually launch a rival to the internet Google certainly could.

And I'm worried about a search company that continually pigeon holes peoples search results into a ever decreasing circle of results, based on what adverts they can target at you, and what people have paid them.

I'm concerned about a company that has the privacy policy that Google does - essentially anything and everything is fair game to help them sell you adverts.

There's a whole host of other reasons, but I doubt you'd listen even if you've read this far. Like most google fans, you don't care what they do with your personal data. I'm afraid I do, and anyone who brings Google down a peg or twenty gets my support.

Soldato
OP
Don't use google?

You have the choice not to use it you do not have a choice not to be ruled by the government.

Or better yet become a share holder?
Of course you have a choice about government, that's what elections are. It's wrong to suggest that Google, and "the government" holding personal information about you is the same thing. It isn't.

Back
Top Bottom